92 Accord stalls+

Old February 1st 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
keithturbo

Default 92 Accord stalls+

I bought her for 900 two months ago.
She recently started to stall intermittantly at stops, and to a lesser
extent when slowing to under 20 for turns, merges. She also has had an up
and down(900rpm to 2000rpm)idle speed every once in a while, and twice the
rpms have dropped close to or to 0 while going about 70 on the interstate,
but she did not cut off. When she has stalled out has started right back
until today when she would not turn over for a few minutes, but she did
come back after 10 min.

Any ideas other than a tune up and mechanic's hands on assessment?

Thanks, Keith

Old February 1st 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Best guess: Ignition coil, especially if she stalls only
after twenty minutes or so of driving. Old, failing coils
become persnickety after warmup.

Other causes:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#startrun

Consider a complete tuneup of this car, including changing
out the coolant, tranny fluid, etc., since you don't know
exactly where it is in its maintenance schedule.

Know when the timing belt is due?

"keithturbo" > wrote

Old February 2nd 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

keithturbo wrote:

> I bought her for 900 two months ago.
> She recently started to stall intermittantly at stops, and to a lesser
> extent when slowing to under 20 for turns, merges. She also has had an up
> and down(900rpm to 2000rpm)idle speed every once in a while, and twice the
> rpms have dropped close to or to 0 while going about 70 on the interstate,
> but she did not cut off. When she has stalled out has started right back
> until today when she would not turn over for a few minutes, but she did
> come back after 10 min.
>
> Any ideas other than a tune up and mechanic's hands on assessment?
>
> Thanks, Keith

I would look for an (intermittent) vacuum leak..

JT

Old February 2nd 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"keithturbo" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> I bought her for 900 two months ago.
> She recently started to stall intermittantly at stops, and to a lesser
> extent when slowing to under 20 for turns, merges. She also has had an
> up and down(900rpm to 2000rpm)idle speed every once in a while, and
> twice the rpms have dropped close to or to 0 while going about 70 on
> the interstate, but she did not cut off. When she has stalled out has
> started right back until today when she would not turn over for a few
> minutes, but she did come back after 10 min.
>
> Any ideas other than a tune up and mechanic's hands on assessment?

Ordinarily I would echo Elle here in suspecting your coil, but you report
the tach dropping to zero. When the tach drops to zero, you've lost the
igniter signal, meaning your igniter's probably on its way out.

Concerning the surging idle, that's a big vacuum leak. Usually it's the
Fast Idle Thermo Valve (under the throttle body). It's sticking open when
it shouldn't.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 2nd 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

keithturbo wrote:
> I bought her for 900 two months ago.
> She recently started to stall intermittantly at stops, and to a lesser
> extent when slowing to under 20 for turns, merges. She also has had an up
> and down(900rpm to 2000rpm)idle speed every once in a while, and twice the
> rpms have dropped close to or to 0 while going about 70 on the interstate,
> but she did not cut off. When she has stalled out has started right back
> until today when she would not turn over for a few minutes, but she did
> come back after 10 min.
>
> Any ideas other than a tune up and mechanic's hands on assessment?
>
> Thanks, Keith

Low coolant (air in system) can cause screwy idle and stalling once you
warm up.

'Curly'