99 Explorer Sport Tire Recommendations?

Old December 10th 05, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 99 Explorer Sport Tire Recommendations?

Hi all,
99 Explorer Sport 4WD w/ Auto trans.
Looks like I'll be replacing my tires very shortly. I've currently got
Goodyear Wranglers with nearly 55k on them. They've been very good tires
to me. I've been diligent about 5k rotations and keeping the wheels
balanced, which I think is a big reason why they've last so long.
Should I stick with the Wranglers? I would kind of like something with a
slightly more aggressive profile (the Wranglers do look a bit small for
the body, but that's just my aesthetics).

Thanks,
Ambrose
Old December 11th 05, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I have the same Wranglers on my 00 Sport and I have 40k on mine and they
look like they will last another 40k or 50k. Mine are dry rotting and
making tons of road noise already. I will likely replace these next summer
because of the nervous factor.
About your concern, I think those tires are just right for that vehicle
size. You've been looking at too many vehicles with 20's. ha ha Just
kidding.

I got my Wranglers in the Firestone incident. I had requested Michelins
before the dealership put these on. I will likely try the Michelins this
next time around. Four years is quite short for tire life in my opinion.
especially when they still look brand new.

Scott

. net...

Old December 11th 05, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Scott Van Nest wrote:
> I have the same Wranglers on my 00 Sport and I have 40k on mine and they
> look like they will last another 40k or 50k. Mine are dry rotting and
> making tons of road noise already. I will likely replace these next summer
> because of the nervous factor.
> About your concern, I think those tires are just right for that vehicle
> size. You've been looking at too many vehicles with 20's. ha ha Just
> kidding.
>
> I got my Wranglers in the Firestone incident. I had requested Michelins
> before the dealership put these on. I will likely try the Michelins this
> next time around. Four years is quite short for tire life in my opinion.
> especially when they still look brand new.
>
> Scott
>
> "Ambrose Cohen" > wrote in message
> . net...
>
>>Hi all,
>>99 Explorer Sport 4WD w/ Auto trans.
>>Looks like I'll be replacing my tires very shortly. I've currently got
>>Goodyear Wranglers with nearly 55k on them. They've been very good tires
>>to me. I've been diligent about 5k rotations and keeping the wheels
>>balanced, which I think is a big reason why they've last so long.
>>Should I stick with the Wranglers? I would kind of like something with a
>>slightly more aggressive profile (the Wranglers do look a bit small for
>>the body, but that's just my aesthetics).
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ambrose

I did a little research yesterday. I have Wrangler APs, but what I've
seen on a lot of Sports are the Wrangler RT/S's which are the next step
up from the APs and have a slightly more aggressive profile.
I could very easily stick with the APs. Price will probably dictate my
choice. The APs are quite good in rain and snow.

1997 Explorer Sport ricks2311 Ford Explorer 0 April 7th 05 04:23 PM
Explorer Sport Center Console?? luk84 Ford Explorer 1 December 7th 04 03:04 PM
65 tire recommendations bad65 Corvette 6 November 29th 04 10:53 PM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 03:42 AM