Mazda Protege oil change question

Old September 7th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Mazda Protege oil change question

I have 2001 Mazda Protege with 2.0 liter engine. I want to start doing
my own oil changes on it, but wondering how difficult and messy it is.
What tools do I need - two ramps from Walmart would do I hope? What
size and type of a wrench for the drain plug? Will the oil flow nicely
into the drain pan or it will hit body parts on the way down and will
drip all over the garage floor? Same question for the oil filter - is
it looking downward or sideways and will it drip when you take it off?
If the filter is seized is there enough clearance to put this thing
(whatever you call it) around it for easy removal?

Thanks,
Yan

Old September 7th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

wrote in article
.com>...
> I have 2001 Mazda Protege with 2.0 liter engine. I want to start doing
> my own oil changes on it, but wondering how difficult and messy it is.
> What tools do I need - two ramps from Walmart would do I hope? What
> size and type of a wrench for the drain plug? Will the oil flow nicely
> into the drain pan or it will hit body parts on the way down and will
> drip all over the garage floor? Same question for the oil filter - is
> it looking downward or sideways and will it drip when you take it off?
> If the filter is seized is there enough clearance to put this thing
> (whatever you call it) around it for easy removal?
>
> Thanks,
> Yan

You REALLY need to find a friend who works on their own car, and spend a
weekend with them while they show you a few simple things.....such as how
they change the oil on their own car.

They might even be willing to assist you with the first oil change on your
own car.

Only YOU can judge your ability to get most of the oil into the pan.

You dhould be able to find the oil filter on your own and determine its
orientation and what sort of tools will fit in and around the filter.

I realize we all had to start somewhere, but YOU really need some
hand-holding to get started.

Speed limit vigilante sent to jail John F. Carr Driving 366 July 25th 06 05:12 AM
OEM Mazda Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Mazda 0 January 8th 06 06:25 PM
Mazda Protege AC question Ricky Mazda 6 August 13th 05 10:02 AM
Mazda Protege' Zane Warren Mazda 3 March 6th 05 01:04 AM
FOR SALE - Mazda Protege "S" 1995 Rollie Mazda 0 August 28th 04 03:19 PM