Help a Girl Out?

Old August 22nd 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Carl[_3_]

Default Help a Girl Out?

Hello, my name is Amanda and I usually just watch as my boyfriend spends
hours on these newsgroups, but I figured I'd see if I could get some advice
myself. I'm looking at trading in my current car (95 Honda Civic 2 dr) for a
2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

I've done some research and have found mixed reviews. I know usually the
first year of production isn't always the most reliable way to go so I'm
getting a little nervous and possibly glad I haven't signed any papers yet.
The model I'm looking at has just under 75k miles, 4 doors, 4.0 V6,
automatic tranny, 4x4, AC, power windows/locks, towing package and other
equipment that shouldn't affect the deal as far as I can tell.

During the test drive the front driver side tire seemed a bit off balance
and the tranny fluid was a bit off colored (possibly never been changed?).
Other than that the truck was in pretty good condition and great to drive.
The dealer was willing to look into both issues and correct them. My biggest
worries a the tranny (the fluid and the towing package - I've heard the
Explorer/Ranger trannies can be unreliable at times), and the fact that this
was the first production year. I talked them down to $12,966 and after
taxes, fees, etc comes to $15,366.

I'll admit I'm no car expert, so I'm asking for your help. Have you owned
this vintage? If so how has it been as far as maintence/performance/etc?
Does the price seem reasonable, KBB comes out at almost $14k, so that seems
pretty good. I am really interested in the truck - even with today's gas
prices - but I don't want to buy a lemon either. I would really appreciate
any and all help you can give me. Thanks so much.

If you could please reply on here or e-mail me @ that
would be great!

Amanda

Old August 23rd 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Oooohhh, Carl got a sweetie!!!!

You sound fairly savvy, Amanda but lets discuss a couple of things....

Buying the first year of a "new" vehicle is rarely wise.... after 5 years,
you can pretty well bet that any teething pains have been dealt with and the
car should be a pretty fair bet (unless you see a bunch of class action
suits).

Your concerns (the trans fluid and vibration) should be made a "condition of
purchase" and written into the agreement or dealt with to your satisfaction
before you commit to the purchase. Bear in mind, the dealer is going to try
and maximize his profit margin and simply service the trans and balance the
tires (if you said "this" tire feels out of balance, you have a 50/50 chance
that "this tire" is the only one he will balance. Simply servicing the trans
is about all you can expect... for the tires I would have shot for a "rotate
and balance 4" and nothing less....

Many dealers here in Canada will offer a satisfaction guarranty period....
anywhere between 30 and 90 days - some with a mileage limit, some without...
If your dealer offers this, consider whether it is a "replacement" or "cash
back" type of deal and which one you feel comfortable with.

Above all else.... use an independant or impartial mechanic to check the
vehicle out for you.... A knowledgeable, disinterested third party is well
worth the money spent in both peace of mind and avoiding a money pit.
Purchasing a used vehicle doesn't have to be the "white knuckle" experience
that so many feel they need to endure....

Old August 24th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
wth

Around here, (Iowa) I would not pay over 12k period for the 6 year old
vehicle, Edmonds shows it with red paint and auto trans in good cond at
$12,900, dealer retail. Also of note: whatever your spending on gas IS going
to almost TRIPLE. Also, what are they going to give you for trade-in value
on your civic?
What your doing IS to the dealer's advantage: Your buying something that's
hard for them to sell and your trading in something the dealer wants in this
current market of high gas prices. Your insurance will go up also.
wth

. ..

Old August 24th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_1_]

"Carl" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hello, my name is Amanda and I usually just watch as my boyfriend spends
> hours on these newsgroups, but I figured I'd see if I could get some
> advice myself. I'm looking at trading in my current car (95 Honda Civic 2
> dr) for a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

My advice - run away!

$13k for a 6 year old vehicle is asking for trouble. I suggest you examine
your reasons for wanting Sa port Trac. Do you need to tow anything? Do you
need more interior room? Do you need 4WD? Do you need a tiny bed that is
harrdly large enough for a bicycle with the tailgate down and no tonneau?

In my opinion (and take that for what it is), the Sport Trac is not a
praticularly attractive pacakge. It is a poor pick-up truck, a poor SUV, and
pricey to boot. A 2001 Explorer 4 Door is a far better vehicle, unless for
some reason you just have to have the small open bed at the rear. And
finally, 2001 is not a particualrly good year for a Sport Trac even if it is
exactly the sort of vehicle you want. Improvements were made for subsequent
years.

BTW, I just sold a 2003 Expedition with 92,000 miles for less than what the
dealer is asking you to pay for the Sport Trac. And my Expedition was in
good condition. The local papers are full of individuals selling new SUVs in
good condition for less tan $13K.

In Summary - Run Away! Keep the Civic and buy a 10 year old Ranger tfor
those times you need a truck.

Regards,

Ed White