Looking for a new 3/4T 4x4

Old September 3rd 04, 07:05 AM
Bob

Default Looking for a new 3/4T 4x4

I need a new 4x4 to haul my camper. My past 2 we

- '77F150 4x4 300 4spd and
- '91K2500HD extended 6.2Dsl 4spdOD Auto w/locking diff, loaded.

'77 was great (especially for the $500 price tag). '91 continues to be
riddled with electrical problems. Engine has been fine; plenty of power
for me and no turbo, quite. Paint sux. Front suspension sux. 1-Ch AL
Rear brake sux. Before this last vehicle I have always had a preference
for GM's and had owned and performed all the repairs on several.

I do a little fairly rough offroading in BC; somewhat less rough with
the camper is on. My daily commute is fairly short. The extra $6500 +
taxes and extra repairs and maint. doesn't make sense to me.

Looking for basic HD3/4Ton 4x4, std cab, 8'box, gasoline, Manual 6spd,
Manual xfer case, solid fnt axle, locking hubs, Locking Diff, Camper
mirrors & wiring harness, cruise. You know; A Truck. NOT a $58,000
freaking limousine! It seams the dealers don't want to sell $32000
Trucks without 15000 worth of options. Am I the only one who thinks
something is very wrong here? <end of rant>

My experience so far is that Ford offers the most flexibility when
ordering. Dodge quality may be slightly better (from owners I know).
GM: I haven't been able to find a new 3/4t 4x4 m/t to test drive!

My real question: Taking into account the above what in your opinion
would be the best manufacturer to chose.

Thanks for your opinions.

Old September 27th 04, 10:07 AM
stan kirby

Bob > wrote in message news:<4RTZc.293245$M95.261142@pd7tw1no>...
> I need a new 4x4 to haul my camper. My past 2 we
>
> - '77F150 4x4 300 4spd and
> - '91K2500HD extended 6.2Dsl 4spdOD Auto w/locking diff, loaded.
>
> '77 was great (especially for the $500 price tag). '91 continues to be
> riddled with electrical problems. .................A Truck. NOT a $58,000
> freaking limousine! It seams the dealers don't want to sell $32000
> Trucks without 15000 worth of options. Am I the only one who thinks
> something is very wrong here? <end of rant>

I have the same rant, I want a truck too!

> My real question: Taking into account the above what in your opinion
> would be the best manufacturer to chose.
>
> Thanks for your opinions.

I have been using fords since 1974. But I like to work or at least be
able to look at the motor! This only leaves me with dodge, with the
Cummings diseil. Look for yourself, it made it easy for me. Now all I
need to do is decide on a 2004 or get a new dodge, and darn, I thought
I would never even concider a Dodge truck!
Stan kirby