How to.........

Old November 19th 04, 10:44 PM
Deputy Dog

Default How to.........

I'm looking to replace the fuel filter on my 96 GTS. Any links out there?
Any got ya's I should be looking for.
--
Dave
96 Rio Red GTS with a few goodies

Old November 20th 04, 06:36 AM
JS

Pretty straightforward I'd imagine. I haven't done my '97 Cobra's yet (it
was done when I bought it at 24k and now has 55k on the clock), but for most
of 'em, there's some sort of quick disconnect that requires maybe a pair of
pliers. Others use hose clamps. Some may use a special tool (think front
fuel lines on a 5.0). Crawl under it and see what's necessary, or hopefully
someone will chime in with that answer.

The only gotcha I can think of would involve resident fuel pressure.
Leaving the car sit overnight, hitting the schrader valve on the fuel rails
(if so equipped) and opening the gas cap can relieve most of the pressure,
but there will still be some residual pressure and fuel in the filter.
You're bound to get covered in gas unless you're on a lift, have quick
reflexes, or take proper precautions.

JS

newsHund.74$hJ6.10@trndny01...

Old November 21st 04, 02:28 AM
Rein

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:44:36 GMT, "Deputy Dog"
> wrote:

>I'm looking to replace the fuel filter on my 96 GTS. Any links out there?
>Any got ya's I should be looking for.

I think (but am not sure) you need to get a disconnect (quickconnect?)
set from a car store. They're cheap. On the 95 I never needed it, but
the 96 might have different connections to it.
Make sure you wear eye-protection in case gas runs out (and it will)
LEt it sit overnight and the pressure will be off the fuelsystem. You
can always press the shcrader valve or run the engine and pull the
connector of the safety switch in the trunk.