Is Retro Good?

Old July 3rd 05, 12:41 AM
Grover C. McCoury III

IMHO, it took Ford 35 years to finally get the styling right with the 2005
Mustang - but then again, I am a *bit* biased...

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @
http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I found this article about retro designs and thought I'd share my
> thoughts.
> "Of course, that Mustang is running strong, although it is new so we
> don't know how long she will prance."

..
..
..

Old July 3rd 05, 04:22 PM
Jack Dotson

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> Joe > wrote in news:jfyxe.25964$du.13419
> @bignews1.bellsouth.net:
>
>>> NoOp Comment: The main reason is the Bug's shoddy workmanship. The

>> new
>>> Beetles aren't screwed together worth a damn!

>> It hasn't evolved enough. It's certainly not the "old" Beetle, but I
>> do see a helluva lot of girls and women driving them...

> News for ya... the OLD beetle wasnt all that great.
>
> Look at ALL of VW's reliability figures... fits right in there.
>
> AND BTW, Audi perenially sux, too.
>
> I have NO idea why some people think VW/Audi are 'better' than
> American... everytime they bring out a new model, the car mags praise
> them to high heaven... then after a few years acknowledge the much needed
> improvements of the NEXT over that one.
>
> All started with the 100LS which was a POS right out the box.
> So was the rabbit, now the Jedda, and dont say it's Mexico... ask a
> recent owner about Passat's coil-pack problem and how it seems like VW
> was 'blind-sided'
>
> I'll take good old H'umericun pieces of carap

I bought the new style Passat as a 2001.5, which is the same car they are
currently producing. I drove if for three years and when the lease was up
my son bought it and is still driving it. This has been the best car I've
owned and about the only one I never tired of. Son had to take it in for
it's first repair a couple of months ago, a sticking throttle linkage was
causing it to idle too low. Fixed in about fifteen minutes. The Passat is
really just an Audi A-4 with a VW shell and interior (which is of better
quality then most high end luxury sedans), but sells for allot less. I got
mine fully loaded with the 1.8T motor for just about 27K. I know of no
other sedan in the Passat's price range that can top it. Great car!

Old July 3rd 05, 05:38 PM
rw

Jack Dotson wrote:

> I bought the new style Passat as a 2001.5, which is the same car they are
> currently producing. I drove if for three years and when the lease was up
> my son bought it and is still driving it. This has been the best car I've
> owned and about the only one I never tired of. Son had to take it in for
> it's first repair a couple of months ago, a sticking throttle linkage was
> causing it to idle too low. Fixed in about fifteen minutes. The Passat is
> really just an Audi A-4 with a VW shell and interior (which is of better
> quality then most high end luxury sedans), but sells for allot less. I got
> mine fully loaded with the 1.8T motor for just about 27K. I know of no
> other sedan in the Passat's price range that can top it. Great car!

My wife had a Passat. It had problems too numerous to list. Two
clutches, new computer, etc., etc. A couple of times the "check engine
light" came on while she was driving it out the dealership after a repair.

The final straw: Immediately after having a major scheduled maintenance
service, she was driving it to our summer place in Idaho when the timing
belt broke in the middle of the desert. Of course, the engine was
trashed. It was towed to the nearest VW dealership in Twin Falls and a
new engine was ordered. It took about two months to arrive. (In the
meantime, she had to buy another car.) The new engine was installed and
when they fired it up they found it had seriously bad noises coming from
the valve train. So, they ordered another engine, and it took another
two months. I sold that piece of **** immediately, on consignment so
that the new owner wouldn't know where I live. It was far and away the
worst lemon I've ever owned.

Old July 14th 05, 05:29 AM
Wound Up

My thoughts are that you are an inveterate bore, Patrick. If I keep
checking in here roughly once / year, I will continue, as I have since 1997,
to find the same regurgitated crap, coupled with flimsy, anecdotal and
incomplete analysis, as always.

To prove my point, I will produce a gem from your (cue awe-inspiring musical
segue) *veteran member* Patrick, from early 1997:

"Per MM&FF magazine (Feb '97) the next Cobra R will be powered by the "low
tech" pushrod 351 Windsor. Why is Ford going to race this motor instead of
the latest and greatest 4.6 liter modular motors? If the OHC/DOHC motors
are as good as you say it is and the "future", why send us mixed messages?
Is it because the 351W is cheaper and easier to modify, better
durability?, with the extra bonus of low end torque. If it is, thanks a
lot Ford, make US shell out the big bucks trying to stay up with the
competion when racing! I don't know what their reasoning is, but if they
want us to embrace the 4.6 liter motor's this is not the way to do it!

Patrick"

Oh, look, it's regurgitated news, open-ended questions, incomplete analysis
with no real conclusions made, and a your opinion, stated in typically weak
fashion.

I've always known more about this **** than you, Pat. You're just some
middle-aged, middle-of-the-road guy who happens to own a Mustang (oh, and a
Focus, too), when it comes right down to it. Do I need to say "bench racer"
again? It's been at least 7 1/2 years now of that crap, for Christ's sake.
It's just old, and tired. It was on day one.

And whether you'd like to admit it or not, I've been around here at least a
year longer, albeit mostly in lurk mode. I am also markedly more clever
than you, and always will be. I am engaging and interesting. People like
you have always bored the living **** out of me. God, I wonder what an EKG
of your medulla oblongata would look like. Sure, on the dark side, I can be
an unstable, angry loudmouth, with proven psycho drunk tendencies. But at
least I'm not so GODDAMNED BORING. I am a passionate person. And I live
accordingly.

I live life, and don't just stand back and talk about it, Pat. Oh,
unemployment. I came out smelling like roses. I never give up. I never
quit. I always have and always will fight until I fall over. And as for
you, so, you ran a marathon? Good deal. May your health continue to be
good, and your health insurance premiums continue to be low. May you
quantify all your achievements on spreadsheets, and do NPV analysis on all
your purchases. It's hardly inspiring. You even counted your paces on this
marathon, and reported them here, proud as a peacock. But who the ****
really cares?

Suck the marrow. Tempt the Grim Reaper every now and again, it's fun. Quit
organizing things and use them. And don't spew forth the details of your
medical past again, either. I just don't care.

Oh, and I'm also thinking it's damned funny you include your Focus in your
sig file.

I'll be sure to come back and rip on you next year, Patrick Milquetoast.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old July 14th 05, 08:57 AM
elaich

"Wound Up" > wrote in
:

<snip>

Sounds to me like you're a challenged know nothing who needs to find
someone to attack to make himself feel better. There wasn't anything wrong
with any of the stuff you quoted.

Once a year? Why not make it never? or get over your obsession. Anyone who
saved a post from 1997 must surely be obsessed.

--
"This space for rent."