GT4 Driving view

Old March 15th 05, 12:11 AM
ymenard

> wrote
>GT4 is every bit a simulation as Grand Prix Legends,
>Nascar 2003, GTR, GTP, and any other product you want to throw out.

No.

Check the charter for this NG. And google, for the numerous threads we've
had here in it's existence. The GT series isn't what we would call anywere
near the simulation level that some PC software offer, in terms of realism
of racing. Ain't anything that I call *racing* in GT4. BANG into the
wall/other driver/great let's face the next corner now while the AI
artificially is faster behind us and slower in front of us...

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old March 15th 05, 01:42 AM
J.D. Ellis

Dave Henrie wrote:

> We are simulating DRIVING.

Yet you're still relegated to translating visual inputs into what your
butt should be telling you. ;-)

That's not very realistic either...

-jde

Old March 15th 05, 02:02 AM
Steve Smith

I still have my old ThunderSeat. Better than ExLax, but of limited use for
seat o' th' pants driving impressions.

And for the past 6-7 years, we've had good feedback thru the wheel rim.

Finally, of the 5 senses, the visual almost always trumps the rest (unless
yer a dog), so I can live with that.

Simulation means, no these games aren't exactly like driving a real car,
they're as much like driving a real car as a bunch of car-crazy programmers
and high-end h/w engineers can make it.

It's good enuf for me. In fact, I'm lovin' it!

Old March 15th 05, 03:30 AM
J.D. Ellis

Steve Smith wrote:

> It's good enuf for me. In fact, I'm lovin' it!

Me too, but I see the strength in the simulation is in capturing the
mental aspects of racing and racecraft (esp. online) more than the
actual driving experience.

Plus, Dave and I have been poking each other's buttons for years. ;-)

-jde

Old March 15th 05, 04:03 AM
Connected

On 14 Mar 2005 10:34:45 -0800, "
> wrote:

>That's why I've never played a sports game. NFL, NBA, NHL, Soccer,
>there are alot of sports that call them selves simulatrions, but unless
>they're all done from a 1st person perspective, then they're simply
>kiddie games.

They don't call them simulations. They call them - wait for it -
"Sports Games". The only ones that are called simulations are the
text sports games that are all number crunching which are simulating
the results of a sports game based on statistics.
Old March 15th 05, 04:51 AM

ymenard wrote:
> > wrote
> >GT4 is every bit a simulation as Grand Prix Legends,
> >Nascar 2003, GTR, GTP, and any other product you want to throw out.

> No.
>
> Check the charter for this NG. And google, for the numerous threads

we've
> had here in it's existence. The GT series isn't what we would call

anywere
> near the simulation level that some PC software offer, in terms of

realism
> of racing. Ain't anything that I call *racing* in GT4. BANG into

the
> wall/other driver/great let's face the next corner now while the AI
> artificially is faster behind us and slower in front of us...

The GT series has always been a driving simulator, never a racing
simulator. And GT4 is as much a simulator as anything released up to
and including GPL. It simulates more than ICR every did, and anything
prior to Nascar 2003. So those games must not be simulators.

rec.autos.simulators.... hmmmm, let me think about that. GT models
automobiles, simulates them and it mainly used for recreation. Seems
to me it fits right into the charter.

Old March 15th 05, 04:56 AM
Connected

On 14 Mar 2005 19:51:42 -0800, "
> wrote:

>The GT series has always been a driving simulator, never a racing
>simulator. And GT4 is as much a simulator as anything released up to
>and including GPL. It simulates more than ICR every did, and anything
>prior to Nascar 2003. So those games must not be simulators.
>
>rec.autos.simulators.... hmmmm, let me think about that. GT models
>automobiles, simulates them and it mainly used for recreation. Seems
>to me it fits right into the charter.

None of the cars in the GT series drive like the real thing. It
doesn't even try to because it models so many cars.
Old March 15th 05, 07:42 AM
Dave Henrie

"J.D. Ellis" > wrote in news:9NrZd.1194$185.433
@fe37.usenetserver.com:

> Me too, but I see the strength in the simulation is in capturing the
> mental aspects of racing and racecraft (esp. online) more than the
> actual driving experience.
>
> Plus, Dave and I have been poking each other's buttons for years. ;-)
>
> -jde

yup, In fact I almost got him to admit that Ton...I mean Satan's CHild
really is a bad guy. lol!!!

dave henrie
Old March 15th 05, 12:44 PM
Dave

In article >, Connected > wrote:

>None of the cars in the GT series drive like the real thing. It
>doesn't even try to because it models so many cars.

If you have a decent physics model, and the data set needed to
populate it for each car, I don't see why that precludes it being
"like the real thing". How many parameters do you think these
sims have for a single car physics model anyway? If you can model
one car, you can model hundreds.
Old March 15th 05, 12:59 PM
Steve Smith

Yer right. Games like GPL and N2003 may not be real driving, but they sure
are real racing!