Oil change

Old July 21st 04, 05:02 PM
L. Mormino

Default Oil change

The "noise shield" under the engine compartment of my 99 A6 Avant Quattro is
a nuisance in oil changing. Can I remove it? The shop charges and extra $10
to deal with it and I don't see that it does anything. Without that I can
change my own oil easily. Larry

Old July 21st 04, 05:45 PM
Pete

"L. Mormino"
> The "noise shield" under the engine compartment of my 99 A6 Avant

Quattro is
> a nuisance in oil changing. Can I remove it? The shop charges and

extra $10
> to deal with it and I don't see that it does anything.

Its purpose is to keep dirt and water away from the engine compartment.
In addition, supposedly it helps keep the engine temperatures down by
forcing a certain air flow pattern.

> Without that I can
> change my own oil easily. Larry

If you can change your own oil without it, then you can change your own
oil with it as well - it only takes 2 minutes to take off the belly pan.
Otherwise, if it's such a nuisance and if you're able to get to the oil
filter from the top (not sure if you can or not), then consider getting
an extractor pump for the oil. This way you won't have to get under the
car and remove the belly pan at all.

Cheers,

Pete

Old July 21st 04, 07:03 PM
Carsten Hjorth

"L. Mormino" > skrev i en meddelelse
nk.net...
> The "noise shield" under the engine compartment of my 99 A6 Avant Quattro

is
> a nuisance in oil changing. Can I remove it? The shop charges and extra

$10
> to deal with it and I don't see that it does anything. Without that I can
> change my own oil easily. Larry

I drilled a 100mm hole for easy acces to the drain bolt.

/Carsten

Old July 21st 04, 08:40 PM
R@L

"L. Mormino" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> The "noise shield" under the engine compartment of my 99 A6 Avant Quattro

is
> a nuisance in oil changing. Can I remove it? The shop charges and extra

$10
> to deal with it and I don't see that it does anything. Without that I can
> change my own oil easily. Larry

The reason it's there is streamlining the under car. Saves fuel.
Part of the reason is also to reduce outside noise.

Like the man said, if you can change your own oil, you sure can unscrew 3
bolts.

Ronald

Old July 21st 04, 09:15 PM
L. Mormino

I have to jack up the car to lower the cover and remove the screws. If not
for the cover, I could change the oil without putting it on jack stands.
How do find out where to drill the hole for the drain plug? What about the
oil filter? Larry

nk.net...

Old July 24th 04, 09:41 AM
Jesper Giovanni

In ,
Carsten Hjorth > typed:
> "L. Mormino" > skrev i en meddelelse
> nk.net...
>> The "noise shield" under the engine compartment of my 99 A6 Avant
>> Quattro is a nuisance in oil changing. Can I remove it? The shop
>> charges and extra $10 to deal with it and I don't see that it does
>> anything. Without that I can change my own oil easily. Larry

> I drilled a 100mm hole for easy acces to the drain bolt.
>
> /Carsten'

Drastisk! ;o)

--
Gio