Wiper System Noise...

Old November 7th 04, 04:21 PM
cloaked

Default Wiper System Noise...

I have a 94 Grand Caravan.

The problem I have is that there is a noise coming from the wiper
system. I say "system" because at first I thought that the wipers had
started squeeking - so I replaced the blades. No dice!

So I turned on the wipers and lifted them off the windshield by hand
so they did not contact the windshield - noise still present!

This noise sounds like finger nails on a black board and is driving me
nuts. Strange thing last night though, I was parked in a warm
underground lot. When I drove out into the cold rain - no noise! Then
about 15 minutes later the noise started to appear and within 30
minutes was right back to its ear peircing levels again.

I was thinking about taking the cover off to look at the mechanism
that connects the wiper motor to the arm pivots, but I am not sure how
you take the arms off of the pivots. Anyone know how this is done???

Any ideas as to what could be making the noise or what I should look
for???

I saw a guy that posted for the same problem to this group back in
1998, but no one posted anything back to him, and he did not post back
to say how the problem was resolved.

All thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated (especially
since the monsoon season has set in here on the "wet" coast!)

Old November 7th 04, 05:01 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, cloaked wrote:

> I have a 94 Grand Caravan. The problem I have is that there is a noise
> coming from the wiper system. This noise sounds like finger nails on a
> black board and is driving me nuts.

It's in the bushings. You may be able to eliminate it by removing the
wiper arm-and-blade assemblies, removing the cowl cover to get access to
the wiper motor and link arms, and lubricating all pivot points with
silicone grease (I use Sil-Glyde from Napa) or, as applicable to those
that cannot be disassembled, silicone spray lube.

> I am not sure how you take the arms off of the pivots. Anyone know how
> this is done???

Look closely where the arm fits on the pivot. There's a small lever tab
tucked along one side of the arm. Lift the wiper blade away from the
windshield and use a small screwdriver to pry the small lever away from
the arm; this will lock the blade in the "off glass" position and allow
you to lift the arm assembly off the pivot.

Old November 7th 04, 05:01 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 7th 04, 10:00 PM
maxpower

The wiper pivot is bad, replace it

Old November 7th 04, 10:00 PM
maxpower

Old November 8th 04, 02:43 PM
Cloaked

Update...

Give the man a cigar (I think).

I managed to get the wipers and cowel off, and I hit the bushings with
some aerosol "white grease" from Canadian Tire (I suspect this is much
the same as "lubriplate").

Unfortunately (?) there has not been much rain since! But so far so
good.

I will update as the rainy season progresses.

Thanks a lot!

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:01:45 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"

Old November 8th 04, 02:43 PM
Cloaked

Old November 8th 04, 04:01 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Cloaked wrote:

> I managed to get the wipers and cowel off, and I hit the bushings with
> some aerosol "white grease" from Canadian Tire (I suspect this is much
> the same as "lubriplate").

Lubriplate is a brand name -- the product line is enormous. White grease
probably isn't what I'd pick, for it may well not last, but if it works
for you, that's a good result.
Old November 8th 04, 04:01 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 8th 04, 07:09 PM
Cloaked

Well let's just say it is what I happened to have on the shelf at the
time.

If the white grease does not last, then I will invest in a good
silicone lubricant as you originally suggested and try that.

I know we have NAPA parts stores in Canada, but do they carry
Sil-Glyde up here??

Do you have any other recommendations for a quality brand readily
available in Canada??

Thanks

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:01:13 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"