What sim?

Old March 12th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default What sim?

As I lent out my gpl last year and never got it back,
Im looking for another sim or replacing my old gpl

are GTR or Gt legends up to the same calibre .ie online gaming, downloads
etc??

Old March 12th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> As I lent out my gpl last year and never got it back,
> Im looking for another sim or replacing my old gpl
>
> are GTR or Gt legends up to the same calibre .ie online gaming, downloads
> etc??

No, but rFactor is..
Old March 12th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I would say GTL is the cats meow at the moment. Rfactor may be some day,
but right now it isn't it. Only one opinion of course. GTR, while I love
it is a little long in the tooth and with GTR2 closing I would probably wait
for it.

Chad

Old March 12th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Chad Rogers" > wrote in message
. ..
>I would say GTL is the cats meow at the moment. Rfactor may be some day,
>but right now it isn't it. Only one opinion of course. GTR, while I love
>it is a little long in the tooth and with GTR2 closing I would probably
>wait for it.
>
> Chad

I would have to respectfully disagree. rFactor has it all right now, and the
mods just keep coming! Get them both and decide for yourself!

Old March 12th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Rod wrote:

> Until recently I would have agreed with you. Since installing a 7800GT
> I haven't played GTL since (still a damn great sim, I just haven't
> been able to pry myself away from rFactor)
>
> rFactor does benefit greatly from a decent rig. It never clicked with
> me when I had a year old card, blurry graphics and 40FPS. The latest
> stock cars show great promise in a decent NASCAR sim and I'm loving
> the new hatches that came with the Lienz addon. Also having a lot of
> fun taking the Porches for a spin.

That is an interesting way around. Most find GTL requires the faster PC
and only discover it in its full glory after an upgrade like you have
just undergone. rFactor is a bit easier on the machine.

Personally I like both. The modern day Porsches in rFactor and a heap of
cars in GTL. The good thing is with their similar roots it is easy to
jump from one to another. GPL never used to coexist well with other sims
IMHO, the feel was quite different.

I think both rFactor and GT Legends are excellent sims.

Cheers
Tony

Old March 13th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

If you kept running GPL becuase of the PC (maybe you have older stuff) you
are in a sore spot, but if you could rung the thing with all the new patches
and Grafical updates that they had online for downloads, then you probably
run Rfactor ok. Rfactor it seems, is pretty scalable I'd dare say, to be
easier on hardware (has settings at least). Where as the GTLegends, seems
to have but a few settings that do half as much to relieve the PC of the
burden of rendering, so to me, it is the GPL of today, in a couple of ways,
older cars without much aero on old tires type driving. Plus the Computer
performance requirements are HIGH, again like GPL was in it's day, as I
recall I did some big PC upgrading to run GPL when it came out back then,
becuase you needed it yet could struggle through.

Now my machine is a 2.4 GHZ with 6600gt 128, plays GTL at barely usable
frames when you have 21 cars in the "offline-career mode" challenges that
you somewhat must do to unlock all cars, unless you find the hacks (which i
have done), Yet the same PC & game is pretty fabulous online or
testing/racing with few cars...

Stephen White enlightened us with:

Old March 13th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Stephen White" > writes:

> As I lent out my gpl last year and never got it back,
> Im looking for another sim or replacing my old gpl
>
> are GTR or Gt legends up to the same calibre .ie online gaming, downloads
> etc??

No.

rFactor might be, sometime. Get the 2004 Demo of GPL at Blackhole
http://www.bhmotorsports.com/GPL/downloads/3239 and get back racing.

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old March 13th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>I would say GTL is the cats meow at the moment.
>Rfactor may be some day, but right now it isn't it.

Gee our GPL league is sniffing around the same subject and are sort of
coming to the opposite conclusion..

rfactor has some classic tracks now (and more coming), all sorts of
eras and mods (GTL does one era but does it well), and I understood had
better support for larger feilds online (I could be wrong). Plus it's
got open wheel racing instead of just sedans and sports cars.

We're perfectly happy with GPL except every year we lose 1 or 2 drivers
and it's virtually impossible to replace them.

BTW shame on you for lending out GPL without keeping a copy for
yourself...