Mexican Acclaims, any Difference in Quality?

Old March 2nd 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Mexican Acclaims, any Difference in Quality?

I was distressed to find out that my 95 Acclaim was made in Mexico, but
now am interested to find out if there was any difference in quality
between these Mexican Acclaims and the ones made in the US.

Thanks,

Joe

Old March 2nd 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Only thing I am aware of .. seems the paint sticks to them a bit better.....

Old March 2nd 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

jmcgill wrote:
> I was distressed to find out that my 95 Acclaim was made in Mexico, but
> now am interested to find out if there was any difference in quality
> between these Mexican Acclaims and the ones made in the US.

Perhaps you were "distressed" because you have owned Mexican-made VWs,
which are even more shoddy than their German-built counterparts. Or
perhaps you were "distressed" because you harbour certain stereotypes
about Mexicans. Either way, your dismay is baseless. The Mexican-made
Chryslers have tended to be of very good quality. There've been six of
the AA-cars (Spirit, Acclaim, LeBaron sedan) in our family, and the
Mexican-built examples have been consistently better built. Fewer
squeaks and rattles, trim and parts fitted more carefully, and the
paint jobs are better and more durable.

DS

Old March 3rd 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Perhaps "Distressed" was not the best choice of words for the occasion.
I have owned 2 Mexican built cars before, one VW and one Ford, both
have been of less than perfect quality. I was more surprised than
anything....I didn't know that Chrysler had manufactured cars in Mexico
in the 1990's.

I've not been unhappy with my Acclaim, it runs fine, and the fit/finish
is what I'd expect for an 11 year old car. I don't appreciate the
insinuation of stereotyping.....I was asking a legitimate question
based on my and many people's experiences with other cars.

Joe

Old March 3rd 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

By the way the PTCruiser is made in Mexico and has a great reliability
record according to Consumer Reports.

ups.com...

Old March 4th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

jmcgill wrote:
> Perhaps "Distressed" was not the best choice of words for the
> occasion. I have owned 2 Mexican built cars before, one VW and one
> Ford, both have been of less than perfect quality. I was more
> surprised than anything....I didn't know that Chrysler had
> manufactured cars in Mexico in the 1990's.
>
> I've not been unhappy with my Acclaim, it runs fine, and the
> fit/finish is what I'd expect for an 11 year old car. I don't
> appreciate the insinuation of stereotyping.....I was asking a
> legitimate question based on my and many people's experiences with
> other cars.
>
> Joe

I had a 1985 Plymouth Reliant, 2.2L carbureted..... built in Mexico

nothing but trouble

carburetor replaced twice, all engine emissions parts and hoses replaced at
least once, radio replaced twice, front discs recalled.....

chrysler took it back after 16 months, to prevent being on the end of a
lawsuit they had no hope of winning, 2 inch thick stack of warranty slips.

last year, I owned a 1986 Dodge Aries 2.5L, EFI with 70 something thousand
miles..... made in USA, and never failed me

and Ted M

you whined about me trying to sell it..... to show you that people still
love aries wagons, I got a call just today from Pennsylvania, wanting to
know if I still had the car for sale, 6 months after I sold it.....

Iwish I still had it sometimes, but the Dynasty is more comfortable

Old March 11th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

It was explained to me by a professional painter that in Mexico they don't
have the environmental laws that we do in the US/Canada/Europe so they can
use the oil based paints vs water based and the results show.
. com...

Old March 15th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On 2 Mar 2006 12:29:31 -0800, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>jmcgill wrote:
>> I was distressed to find out that my 95 Acclaim was made in Mexico, but
>> now am interested to find out if there was any difference in quality
>> between these Mexican Acclaims and the ones made in the US.

>Perhaps you were "distressed" because you have owned Mexican-made VWs,
>which are even more shoddy than their German-built counterparts. Or
>perhaps you were "distressed" because you harbour certain stereotypes
>about Mexicans. Either way, your dismay is baseless. The Mexican-made
>Chryslers have tended to be of very good quality. There've been six of
>the AA-cars (Spirit, Acclaim, LeBaron sedan) in our family, and the
>Mexican-built examples have been consistently better built. Fewer
>squeaks and rattles, trim and parts fitted more carefully, and the
>paint jobs are better and more durable.
>
>DS

I can only speak from experience with two Neons. We bought a 97 and
then a 98. Bothe new. The 97 was Mexico..the 98 USA (Indiana). World
of difference...especially in fit and finish. Specifically, every
single peice of rubber around windows, engine bay etc etc. came loose
on the Mexican car within months. Both ran great. The 98 got stolen,
my son still has the 97. Don't get me wrong, great car, but there was
definately a difference.
Old March 16th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I can honestly say that the Fit/finsih on my Acclaim is very good,
especially for a 1995 with 150K miles. The paint is decent in some
places, but is flaking in others.....no worse than many of the cars of
this age I've seen. The acclaim is the first non-Jeep chrysler product
I've owned, so I appreciate all the non-adversarial responses I've
received.