Thinking of replacing CD Player...

Old December 18th 04, 08:40 PM
Rich Wales

Steve Grauman wrote:

> I'm not sure of it, but I firmly believe that the factory VW
> deck has some sort of active EQ used with the Monsoon package.

Just checking, but when you initially replaced the head unit, did you
say you kept the Monsoon speakers AND the Monsoon amplifier?

I've read some comments to the effect that the Monsoon speakers have
nonstandard impedances and frequency responses -- and that the Monsoon
amps were specially designed to deal with the Monsoon speakers -- and
that trying to use Monsoon speakers with a non-Monsoon amp (or vice
versa) was, therefore, bad news.

But if I'm understanding correctly what you said you did, the above
speaker impedance issue presumably wouldn't apply to your situation.

Rich Wales http://www.richw.org
Old December 19th 04, 02:37 AM
Steve Grauman

>I don't want to jeopardize the monsoon sound.....that sound is awsome. I
>guess i could find a Factory deck and stick in in with the same brakets,
>wiring, etc...It would of been nice to have an mp3 player too!

Replace the deck with a factory unit and buy a PhatNoise system.
Steve Grauman
Old December 19th 04, 02:37 AM
Steve Grauman

Old December 19th 04, 02:40 AM
Steve Grauman

>Just checking, but when you initially replaced the head unit, did you
>say you kept the Monsoon speakers AND the Monsoon amplifier?

Yea, I replaced the factory deck with an Eclipse unit that MSRP'd for almost
$600, but I kept the factory amp and speakers (Monsoon system) till' I could
afford to replace it all with the expensive speakers I wanted. The Eclipse has
an amazing, competition grade EQ but I could never make the system sound right
after the deck swap.
Steve Grauman
Old December 19th 04, 02:40 AM
Steve Grauman

Old December 19th 04, 02:43 AM
Steve Grauman

>Been told that's how it's designed to protect the amp & speakers.

Amps have built in protection, it usually kicks in when there's a short in the
system, but it may also happen when an amp is driven to "clip" which can happen
if it's overworked - for instance if it's been forced to drive music at a
constant volume beyond it's capacity. Generally speaking, the protection is
designed to turn the amp off completely, but I guess it's possible that the
Monsoon amp may just be designed to turn itself down rather than off.
Steve Grauman
Old December 19th 04, 02:43 AM
Steve Grauman

Old January 7th 05, 06:29 AM
Rich Wales

Earlier, I wrote:

> > Just checking, but when you initially replaced the
> > head unit, did you say you kept the Monsoon speakers
> > AND the Monsoon amplifier?

Steve Grauman replied:

> Yea, I replaced the factory deck with an Eclipse unit
> that MSRP'd for almost $600, but I kept the factory
> amp and speakers (Monsoon system) till' I could afford
> to replace it all with the expensive speakers I wanted.
> The Eclipse has an amazing, competition grade EQ but I
> could never make the system sound right after the deck
> swap.

I had the factory (Monsoon) head unit in my '04 Golf replaced with
a Kenwood deck shortly before Christmas. I still have the Monsoon
amplifier and speakers.

The shop manager, IIRC, said it would be necessary for them to
install a 1K-ohm resistor in series with each of the audio output
lines from the head unit, in order to deal with the nonstandard
impedance of the Monsoon sound system. The fact that he had this
done may explain why my current, hybrid system sounds just fine.

I've found other online references supporting the concept that the
Monsoon speakers have 2-ohm (or even 1-ohm) impedance.

Rich Wales http://www.richw.org