I didn't scare ya, did I?

Old September 11th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Default I didn't scare ya, did I?

Bringing a car back home from the mechanic today (a rant for another
time) and took <sarcasm> America's Favorite Highway (translation I-95)
</sarcasm> for part of the trip. The ramp I used to enter the road is
fairly straight and definitely long enough to get up to highway speed
well before the merge point. So as I'm headed down the ramp, I note a
gap fairly large gap and aim for it, accelerating to about 80MPH for the
insertation. I had noted a car approaching in the right lane, but paid
little mind to him as I had plenty of space to get into my selected gap
- coincidentally ahead of him. A last glance in the mirrors before
entering the right lane revealed that the aforementioned car had slowed
down quite a bit as I was approaching the merge point. Not that there
was any danger, I just entered the highway where I intended (well, maybe
a little further ahead of that car than intended) and Mr. Timid was a
distant memory before too long.

<more sarcasm> I sincerely hope that I didn't scare the driver of that
vehicle. </more sarcasm>

Old September 12th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
morticide

necromancer wrote:
> Bringing a car back home from the mechanic today (a rant for another
> time) and took <sarcasm> America's Favorite Highway (translation I-95)
> </sarcasm> for part of the trip. The ramp I used to enter the road is
> fairly straight and definitely long enough to get up to highway speed
> well before the merge point. So as I'm headed down the ramp, I note a
> gap fairly large gap and aim for it, accelerating to about 80MPH for the
> insertation. I had noted a car approaching in the right lane, but paid
> little mind to him as I had plenty of space to get into my selected gap
> - coincidentally ahead of him. A last glance in the mirrors before
> entering the right lane revealed that the aforementioned car had slowed
> down quite a bit as I was approaching the merge point. Not that there
> was any danger, I just entered the highway where I intended (well, maybe
> a little further ahead of that car than intended) and Mr. Timid was a
> distant memory before too long.
>
> <more sarcasm> I sincerely hope that I didn't scare the driver of that
> vehicle. </more sarcasm>

If you find a package on your door step that smells like human feces,
it's probably that driver's shorts.

Old September 12th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sir Lex

necromancer wrote:
> <snip>
>
> <more sarcasm> I sincerely hope that I didn't scare the driver of that
> vehicle. </more sarcasm>

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best way to merge onto a
free way is to come flying down/up the on ramp like a bat outta hell.

The timid drivers will do exactly what your friend did, back right off
because fast things upset them.

The faster drivers will recognise you as not being a threat to their
travel time, so are not as likely to make an effort not to let you in
front of them, and maybe, just maybe, may make an effort to let you in.

And sloth drivers can't actually see anything moving at over 55mph, so
when you're travelling at 80 odd, they won't be able to make an effort
to thwart your path :-)

--

SL.

Take back the web. www.Getfirefox.com

http://www.firefoxflicks.com/flick/?id=20272

Take back your Inbox. www.Getthunderbird.com
Old September 12th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

> So as I'm headed down the ramp, I note a
> gap fairly large gap and aim for it, accelerating to about 80MPH for the
> insertation.

Isn't that a normal merge?
Old September 12th 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

necromancer wrote: <brevity snip>
So as I'm headed down the ramp, I note a
> gap fairly large gap and aim for it, accelerating to about 80MPH for the
> insertation. I had noted a car approaching in the right lane, but paid
> little mind to him as I had plenty of space to get into my selected gap
> - coincidentally ahead of him. A last glance in the mirrors before
> entering the right lane revealed that the aforementioned car had slowed
> down quite a bit as I was approaching the merge point. Not that there
> was any danger, I just entered the highway where I intended (well, maybe
> a little further ahead of that car than intended) and Mr. Timid was a
> distant memory before too long.
>
> <more sarcasm> I sincerely hope that I didn't scare the driver of that
> vehicle. </more sarcasm>

Top Ten Ways To Spot The Wrong Stuff

1. Overconfidence and/or grandiose self-image not supported by actual
accomplishments or skills.
2. Disregard for regulations, safety. Operates in marginal conditions,
with known deficiencies or uneccessarily fast/close.
3. Paternalistic. Sees others as weak, especially the
safety-conscious.
4. Exhibitions of skill or daring, especially for an audience.
5. Stories of fearlessness or of accomplishments attained by violating
rules/regs.
6. Lack of empathy for others' feelings. Enjoys scaring passengers or
terrorizing fellow highway travelers.
7. Mistakes are denied, blamed on others or rationalized.
8. Avoidance of recurrent training. Attempts to avoid, delay safety
reviews or belittles those conducting reviews.
9. Overly concerned with The Look, whatever they feel that is.
10. Reacts with anger or derision to anyone who questions the
appropriateness of Super Trucker attitudes or behavior.

Adapted from Gene Hudson, Plane & Pilot Magazine, December 2002, (Pilot
Proficiency) p54 and first posted at Layover.com 5-21-03.
-----

- gpsman

Old September 12th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), morticide said in
rec.autos.driving:
> > <more sarcasm> I sincerely hope that I didn't scare the driver of that
> > vehicle. </more sarcasm>

> If you find a package on your door step that smells like human feces,
> it's probably that driver's shorts.

He'll have to find me first...

--
"I... Can't drive... FIFTY-FIVE!!"
--Sammy Hagar
Old September 12th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
morticide

necromancer wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), morticide said in
> rec.autos.driving:
> > > <more sarcasm> I sincerely hope that I didn't scare the driver of that
> > > vehicle. </more sarcasm>

> > If you find a package on your door step that smells like human feces,
> > it's probably that driver's shorts.

> He'll have to find me first...
>
> --
> "I... Can't drive... FIFTY-FIVE!!"
> --Sammy Hagar

Think he'd be that bold?

Old September 12th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), morticide said in
rec.autos.driving:

> necromancer wrote:
> > Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), morticide said in
> > rec.autos.driving:
> > >
> > > If you find a package on your door step that smells like human feces,
> > > it's probably that driver's shorts.

> > He'll have to find me first...
> >
> > --
> > "I... Can't drive... FIFTY-FIVE!!"
> > --Sammy Hagar

> Think he'd be that bold?

As unstable as sloths are, who knows? Although I doubt he'd find me as
he apparently did not have the nerve to keep up with me...

--
"I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them."
- David Berkowitz