Speaking of emergency vehicles...

Old March 11th 05, 02:12 PM
Big Bill

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:22:44 -0500, "John Harlow"
> wrote:

>Scenario: you're waiting # 1 at a red light, middle lane, other lanes
>blocked. Emerg vehicle pulls up behind, lights flashing.
>
>Is it legal for you to run the red to allow the EV to pass?

Here in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix area), the EV will usually go
into the opposing lanes (crossing any median if possible) to use the
open lanes there.
I don't know if it's legal to run the red light per se, but it would
probably be safer to make a right instead of going through, *if* you
were to move.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 11th 05, 03:10 PM
jaybird

"John Harlow" > wrote in message
> Scenario: you're waiting # 1 at a red light, middle lane, other lanes
> blocked. Emerg vehicle pulls up behind, lights flashing.
>
> Is it legal for you to run the red to allow the EV to pass?

Well, it works out to your advantage... Since you are required by law to
yield the right of way to an emergency vehicle, and since the cross-traffic
will be stopping for them, when you pull into the intersection you are now
legally in it and can leave it no matter what color the light is.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 11th 05, 03:17 PM
jaybird

"ParaDygm" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Emergency Vehicle Code only allows for emergency vehicles to "request"
> the right of way. They can not operate without due regard. If they
> pressure a vehicle into the intersection and there is an accident --->
> BOTH the EV operator and the motorist are liable. Failure to yield does
> not apply to intersections.
>
> If an emergency vehicle is honking behind a stopped car, they are
> clearly overstepping the lee-way allowed by motor vehicle code.
>
> My policy, in the event that an intersection is blocked, is to stop the
> EV 100-200ft. behind the last car, wait for the light to change and NOT
> "push" people thru.

Ours is a little bit different. Here, vehicles are "required" to yield
right of way to emergency vehicles. Since that goes for traffic in front of
you as well as cross traffic then if they hit each other it's worked as a
collision between the two. Of course the factor of the emergency vehicle
will be included in the report, it's their responsibility to stop or pull
out of the way. Now, if the emergency vehicle is struck, or strikes another
vehicle then that's when the issue of due care comes in for us.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 11th 05, 03:52 PM
John Harlow

> Ours is a little bit different. Here, vehicles are "required" to
> yield right of way to emergency vehicles.

So in that case it is not only legal for them to run the red light, they are
breaking the law if they don't?

Old March 11th 05, 10:35 PM
Arif Khokar

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:10:20 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>>>Is it legal for you to run the red to allow the EV to pass?

>>Well, it works out to your advantage... Since you are required by law to
>>yield the right of way to an emergency vehicle, and since the cross-traffic
>>will be stopping for them, when you pull into the intersection you are now
>>legally in it and can leave it no matter what color the light is.

> So in Texas it's legal to enter an intersection on a red light?

If you happen to be towing an emergency vehicle with flashing lights
Old March 12th 05, 05:54 AM
jaybird

"John Harlow" > wrote in message
>> Ours is a little bit different. Here, vehicles are "required" to
>> yield right of way to emergency vehicles.

> So in that case it is not only legal for them to run the red light, they
> are breaking the law if they don't?

Well, the law doesn't really specify that. They're breaking the law if they
don't move out of the way, but everyone is required to yield right of way;
move as far right as possible; and stop until passed. I would interpret
that to mean that if the emergency vehicle approaches in the left lane as
usual, everyone should move right to give space for it to pass:

§ 545.156. VEHICLE APPROACHED BY AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY
VEHICLE. (a) On the immediate approach of an authorized
emergency vehicle using audible and visual signals that meet the
requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702, or of a police
vehicle lawfully using only an audible signal, an operator, unless
otherwise directed by a police officer, shall:
(1) yield the right-of-way;
(2) immediately drive to a position parallel to and as
close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway
clear of any intersection; and
(3) stop and remain standing until the authorized
emergency vehicle has passed.
(b) This section does not exempt the operator of an
authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard
for the safety of all persons using the highway.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 12th 05, 05:56 AM
jaybird

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:10:20 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>>> Is it legal for you to run the red to allow the EV to pass?

>>Well, it works out to your advantage... Since you are required by law to
>>yield the right of way to an emergency vehicle, and since the
>>cross-traffic
>>will be stopping for them, when you pull into the intersection you are now
>>legally in it and can leave it no matter what color the light is.

> So in Texas it's legal to enter an intersection on a red light?

Not under normal circumstances, but Texas law doesn't specify that when
yielding to an emergency vehicle. Moving right as far as possible to create
a space is about as specific as it gets.

--
---
jaybird