floor pan quality

Old May 27th 05, 08:23 AM
Kevin Holzer

Wolfgang wrote:
> Ha, Only a VW! -- then get some roof tar in a caulking tube and some
> asphault roof shingles and tar them over the holes!

I'm not talking about doing a job that shoddy, its just that it is very
likely he doesnt need new pan halves. Pop rivets for a job like this
where looks are not that important are not that bad a thing. It is not
perfect, but it is better than a coin sized hole in the floor, no?
Pop rivets are not the best solution, but how are they that bad,
especially in this situation?
When I say only a VW, I mean it just as I say it. Realize what it is.
I love these cars a lot, but that doesnt mean I'm going to learn to weld
over a quarter sized rust hole in the pan. Pop rivets hold tight as
long as they are the right size/material (steel, not aluminum) for the
application. They are not to be used for bodywork. Whats wrong with
using them on a coin sized rust hole in the pan? Many people wouldnt do
anything at all, and a pop riveted solution is usually better than a hole.
-Kevin
Old May 27th 05, 08:27 AM
Kevin Holzer

bug '59 wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Remember, it IS a Volkswagen...not a Porsche...
>>
>>-Kevin

> ...Meaning...???!!!

Volkswagen drivers tend to have less money (than porsche drivers) so I
guess you are right, I'm not talking about the car but more the typical
driver of the given car.
About my pop rivet idea; I'm not going to try to say its perfect, but
it's better than the hole that problably would end up staying there, no?
I personally don't have access to welding equipment. This is my
solution till I pull the body from the pan on my ghia and get new rear
pan quarters and do it right. Granted, it is a holdover job, but its
better than nothing.
-Kevin
Old May 27th 05, 08:28 AM
Kevin Holzer

Alex wrote:
> Im going to be seperating the body and pan this weekend, my floors seem to
> be in pretty decent shape minus some minor rust holes, not very large. These
> are still the original floor pans. Should I replace them completely or
> should I just patch these up? What is the quality of the aftermarket floor
> pans for a 1973 Super compared to the originals?
>
> Thanks
> Alex

Could you post a picture? That would help a lot.
Old May 27th 05, 08:34 AM
Kevin Holzer

bug '59 wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Remember, it IS a Volkswagen...not a Porsche...
>>
>>-Kevin

> ...Meaning...???!!!

Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry RAMVA. That was a bad thing to imply...
I love these cars.
-Kevin
Old May 27th 05, 10:33 AM
Kevin Holzer

Michael Cecil wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 00:27:59 -0700, Kevin Holzer > wrote:
>

>>Volkswagen drivers tend to have less money (than porsche drivers)

> Untrue. VW drivers just are more handy and like to do stuff themselves.
>
> DIY |= poor.

I'm poor, all my VW buddies (offline, that is) are poor. We all also
like doing **** on or own, and our mistakes probably contribute to us
being poor. Kidding, cause I end up saving enough money to come out
ahead. The being young has to do with it also, in my case.
I know handy porsche guys, its just they have got lots of cash. I mean
LOTS of cash. One has three porsches, a ten car garage, and a couple of
lifts.
****it, I give up. You guys are too ****ing smart; I guess I better
just read what everyone else has to say.
-Kevin
Old May 27th 05, 11:55 AM
Tim Rogers

"Kevin Holzer" > wrote in message

> ****it, I give up. You guys are too ****ing smart; I guess I better
> just read what everyone else has to say.

................I've seen floors patched with rivets/sheet metal screws that
held up surprisingly well for several years of use. It's no big deal for a
driver bug that isn't getting scrutinized by a panel of RAMVA experts. It's
not an irreversible modification and can always be welded at a later date if
needed. Lets get back to arguing over whether John Muir is rotting in hell
for spreading misinformation like using peyote suppositories to help reveal
the true meaning of fweem.

Old May 27th 05, 01:32 PM

................I've seen floors patched with rivets/sheet metal screws
that
held up surprisingly well for several years of use.

Tim if thats all you have seen to fix floors your doing good. I just
did pan replacement in a 73 vert that had 5 layers of
tin,fiberglass,more tin more fiberglass, a street sign a dozon sheet
metal screws and undeturmand amout of pop rivets.
I should have a website up soon and think I will have a page of what I
call my "wall of shame" of past repair work I remove from the VW's I
restore.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old May 27th 05, 02:46 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Kevin Holzer" > wrote in message
> bug '59 wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >>Remember, it IS a Volkswagen...not a Porsche...
> >>
> >>-Kevin

> > ...Meaning...???!!!
> >

> Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry RAMVA. That was a bad thing to imply...
> I love these cars.
> -Kevin

and my apologies to Bug 59....for my comment...did not take time to read
which person said what.....so...Kevin...LOL....you don't know your car's
pedigree...or something...just kidding...have a good one...

Old May 27th 05, 03:02 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Tim Rogers" > wrote in message >
> ...............I've seen floors patched with rivets/sheet metal screws

that
> held up surprisingly well for several years of use. It's no big deal for a
> driver bug that isn't getting scrutinized by a panel of RAMVA experts.

It's
> not an irreversible modification and can always be welded at a later date

if
> needed.

i agree with tim.....done correctly a "patch" is a patch, and will last...

>Lets get back to arguing over whether John Muir is rotting in hell
> for spreading misinformation like using peyote suppositories to help

reveal
> the true meaning of fweem.

i sure hope he isn't rotting in hell, and Muir earned his place in vw
history...he did not, however, write a repair manual.... he even called it a
guide...

Old May 27th 05, 10:05 PM
bug '59

"Joey Tribiani" > schreef in bericht

> "Kevin Holzer" > wrote in message
>> bug '59 wrote:
>> > <snip>

>> > ...Meaning...???!!!
>> >

>> Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry RAMVA. That was a bad thing to imply...
>> I love these cars.
>> -Kevin

> and my apologies to Bug 59....for my comment...did not take time to read
> which person said what.....so...Kevin...LOL....you don't know your car's
> pedigree...or something...just kidding...have a good one...

O, Ok so now i can delete my" *wanted to sent* reply... heheheh.

And no i'm not saying porsche owners have more/less money than a VW guy.
I know a porsche is more expensive than a VW, I mean (my guess is, so does
Kevin) it IS a 'peoples car'. But i do like my beloved car and cherisch it
the way i can. And i'm proud of being the owner ánd mechanic of my Bug '59.

But that's another story...;-)

Roger