SUV drivers

Old March 30th 05, 09:04 PM
L Sternn

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:51:46 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:36:56 -0700, L Sternn > wrote:
>
>>>Before SUV's, there were (and still are) pickup trucks. They have similar
>>>designs and capabilities.

>>IMO, pickup trucks ARE SUVs.

>Huh?

Big, oversized, likely to rollover.

What characteristic of pickups is different from another SUV?
Old March 30th 05, 10:11 PM
223rem

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:36:56 -0700, L Sternn > wrote:
>

>>>Before SUV's, there were (and still are) pickup trucks. They have similar
>>>designs and capabilities.

>>IMO, pickup trucks ARE SUVs.

> Huh?

The large SUVs are built on large pickup platforms.
Old March 30th 05, 10:27 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:56:15 -0500, "Snow" >
wrote:

>"Cartlon Shew" > wrote in message
.. .
>> 60%?

>On the roads around here, every weekend you see highways full of suvee's
>pulling trailers of all types and sizes.

Do you live by a lake?

Even around lakes, 60% aren't usually towing anything.

>> If you can tow it with a Golf, why do you need an SUV?

>Can a golf tow my 18 bowrider boat? or haul two snowmobiles 400 km's ??

Oh, does everyone have an 18 bowrider boat? (do you mean 18 foot?)

>> The "real" ones?

>Ever hear of Jeep and Land Rover or Land cruiser? they are the 3 real 4x4's
>out there.

Jeep? Sure - I know someone whose daughter just totalled hers.
Amazingly enough, it didn't roll, but the other SUV that she hit did.

>> They're all "real" - Stupid Useless Vehicles.

>Nice opinion,

Thanks - I formed it myself.

Old March 30th 05, 10:32 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:49:54 -0500, "Snow" >
wrote:

>> I can't remember my parents ever using their wagons for hauling wood
>> although I'm sure they must have once or twice.

>My parents, my sister, my friends have all borrowed my wagon to haul wood,
>drywall, new doors and windows, even small furniture at times, I use the
>truck to haul the bigger stuff.
>>
>> What I do remember is a family of 5 comfortably seated with plenty of
>> room, even when fully loaded for a cross-country vacation

>This was done in a sw?? perhaps the kind that were 20ft plus in length?

How long is the car in this picture?

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/...y_Marquis.html

>> I drive a coupe and I rarely need as much cargo space as I have.

>For how many people is this truck used for?

My coupe isn't a truck.

>even for hockey gear in a
>modern car you have to fold the rear seat down.

hockey gear? How many people have to haul "hockey gear" around?

I never played hockey, but I can't imagine there's more "gear" for a
hockey player than there is for a football player and you could easily
fit 4 football players with all their pads into my 2-door coupe.

It has a trunk, ya' know.

Old March 30th 05, 10:34 PM
Cartlon Shew

Why the **** would you think that?

>Fear is something made up be those who do not understand.

So tell us then - what's it like to live in fear?

Old March 31st 05, 12:43 AM
y_p_w

Magnulus wrote:
> If I had to haul plywood, I would get a truck for that as a second
> vehicle. Or maybe a small trailer.

How about rent a trailer? Unless you're talking about hauling stuff
for a living, rental costs are far less than the additional fuel
and vehicle costs for a large truck. Even Home Depot rents trailers
and trucks for people to haul stuff home.

Old March 31st 05, 01:41 AM
Magnulus

"Snow" > wrote in message

> > If I had to haul plywood, I would get a truck for that as a second
> > vehicle. Or maybe a small trailer.

> Why do you think some people have the big suvee's ? its because they have

> need for carring loads of size. I have a Jeep daily drive, a Ford

mid-size
> LTD wagon for daily drives, a GMC 1/2 ton and the Caprice wagon for

hauling
> stuff.

3/4 of people with SUV's aren't hauling much of anything and it's
absolutely not a motivation for them to purchase them. Usually, it's a
percieved sense of safety, comfort, or masculinity. The SUV is proof that
there are still plenty of stupid, irrational people in the world who
consider image more important than anything else.

OTOH, a smaller wagon will haul as much stuff as some of the popular (but
stupid) midsize and small SUV's. The seats in the newer wagons fold down,
too.

> No, they are realistic of what people think others need and should drive,

> would in a heartbeat get a new wagon but they don't have the carrying
> abilities of what I need. If I were to replace my big wagon I would have

> get a Suburban or something of similar size.

You're into ****ing away fuel. Don't you get it? You already have 4 gas
guzzlers, why do you want another one? If you can't carry crap in your GMC
1/2 ton, what good is it?

Have fun paying for $2.40/gallon gas this summer.

Old March 31st 05, 01:55 AM
Magnulus

"Cartlon Shew" > wrote in message
> What I do remember is a family of 5 comfortably seated with plenty of
> room, even when fully loaded for a cross-country vacation

Those folks can now buy a minivan and pony up the money for gas. You are
talking about a statistical rarity. The demographics in the US have changed
alot from the 1950's.

5 person families are on the decline. The actual birth rate in the US for
white women is below replacement levels (and that's not a bad thing). If
not for illegal aliens in the US, the US population would actually be not be
growing. Considering the US population has increased by 33 percent during
my lifetime, that would not be a bad thing.

Even with a family of 5, lets say... does dear old dad really need an SUV
to commute to work? No. Families now days often have more than one car,
you know. Mom usually works too. Why do they need two gas guzzlers? The
average car has less than 1 1/2 occupants. You do the math.

> So you don't really *need* to haul plywood that often, do you?

No.

> >but
> >you know, it doesn't get any worse fuel economy than a comparable car

(Jetta
> >wagon's fuel economy is identical to the Golf or regular Jetta sedan).

> >wagon now days is just a sedan sized car with the extra trunk space put

> >better use.

> How is that different from the wagons of the '70s?

Not different. But 70's American cars were land yachts with comparatively
poor fuel economy. That's how Japanese and German automakers got a
foothold in the US- US automakers were not interested in fuel economy, and
in the late 70's, early 80's gas in inflation adjusted dollars costed over
twice what it does today.

Old March 31st 05, 02:01 AM
Magnulus

"Cartlon Shew" > wrote in message
> How long is the car in this picture?
>
> http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/...y_Marquis.html

Wow. Look at how ridiculously long the hood is. Half the car is
practically under the hood.

In the early 80's my parents had a station wagon similar to that- beige
colored/white with faux wood side panels. I don't remember what it was
exactly. Maybe a Ford station wagon. I was a bit young so I don't
remember it too well, although my dad called it "the tank".

Old March 31st 05, 02:03 AM
Magnulus

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> >all the time, driving recklessly. A few
> >days ago I was driving home in a 35 mph zone and there was this guy that
> >must have been going 50-60 mph in an old pickup truck. Of course, the

idiot
> >was passing on the right hand side and not signalling.

> You were blocking the left lane.

No, I was in the right lane. Somebody else was in the left lane (a car).
They probably should have moved over but that doesn't excuse reckless
driving on the truck's part.