Stuck heater cable -- 1974 VW Bus

Old March 18th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default Stuck heater cable -- 1974 VW Bus

I'm trying to replace the heater cables for my 1974 VW Bus. I've got
the new cables, but I can't get the old cables out of the bus.

I disconnected the cables from the heater levers in the dashboard, and
from the barrel clamps near at the heat boxes. They should just pull
out, right? Well, they don't. I've really tugged and tugged (from the
driver's end) and they really just won't budge.

What should I do?

TIA!

Old March 19th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

On Mar 18, 3:09 pm, wrote:
> I'm trying to replace the heater cables for my 1974 VW Bus. I've got
> the new cables, but I can't get the old cables out of the bus.
>
> I disconnected the cables from the heater levers in the dashboard, and
> from the barrel clamps near at the heat boxes. They should just pull
> out, right? Well, they don't. I've really tugged and tugged (from the
> driver's end) and they really just won't budge.
>
> What should I do?
>
> TIA!

Well, I got the left cable out (after an epic battle). I still can't
get the right cable out -- the cable broke at the head (at the
dashboard) and is really stuck in there -- tugging on it just breaks
the cable more. I took a look under the chassis and didn't see any
obvious damage to the guide tube....

I'm going to try to get some WD-40 in there with an air hose, but if
that doesn't work I guess I'll just run the new heater cable along the
old guide tube and clip it to the outside of the guide tube with cable
ties?

Anyone have a better idea, short of cutting the guide tube and finding
out what is sticking the cable? I suspect the PO might have had
similar trouble, because they just wired the heat open with bailing
wire (!) and didn't bother to replace the heater cables.

Old March 24th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Wolfgang[_1_]

WD40 is not a very effective rust breaker - I'd try Liquid Wrench or PB
Buster penetrating oil - apply for several days and let sit.

oups.com...

Old March 31st 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
NotMe

> wrote in message
oups.com...
| On Mar 18, 3:09 pm, wrote:
| > I'm trying to replace the heater cables for my 1974 VW Bus. I've got
| > the new cables, but I can't get the old cables out of the bus.
| >
| > I disconnected the cables from the heater levers in the dashboard, and
| > from the barrel clamps near at the heat boxes. They should just pull
| > out, right? Well, they don't. I've really tugged and tugged (from the
| > driver's end) and they really just won't budge.
| >
| > What should I do?
| >
| > TIA!
|
| Well, I got the left cable out (after an epic battle). I still can't
| get the right cable out -- the cable broke at the head (at the
| dashboard) and is really stuck in there -- tugging on it just breaks
| the cable more. I took a look under the chassis and didn't see any
| obvious damage to the guide tube....
|
| I'm going to try to get some WD-40 in there with an air hose, but if
| that doesn't work I guess I'll just run the new heater cable along the
| old guide tube and clip it to the outside of the guide tube with cable
| ties?
|
| Anyone have a better idea, short of cutting the guide tube and finding
| out what is sticking the cable? I suspect the PO might have had
| similar trouble, because they just wired the heat open with bailing
| wire (!) and didn't bother to replace the heater cables.

I've use air tool oil as a substitute for penetrating oil. Takes a while
but I've had almost 100% success

Old March 31st 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:04:31 -0400, "NotMe" > wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>| On Mar 18, 3:09 pm, wrote:
>| > I'm trying to replace the heater cables for my 1974 VW Bus. I've got
>| > the new cables, but I can't get the old cables out of the bus.
>| >
>| > I disconnected the cables from the heater levers in the dashboard, and
>| > from the barrel clamps near at the heat boxes. They should just pull
>| > out, right? Well, they don't. I've really tugged and tugged (from the
>| > driver's end) and they really just won't budge.
>| >
>| > What should I do?
>| >
>| > TIA!
>|
>| Well, I got the left cable out (after an epic battle). I still can't
>| get the right cable out -- the cable broke at the head (at the
>| dashboard) and is really stuck in there -- tugging on it just breaks
>| the cable more. I took a look under the chassis and didn't see any
>| obvious damage to the guide tube....
>|
>| I'm going to try to get some WD-40 in there with an air hose, but if
>| that doesn't work I guess I'll just run the new heater cable along the
>| old guide tube and clip it to the outside of the guide tube with cable
>| ties?
>|
>| Anyone have a better idea, short of cutting the guide tube and finding
>| out what is sticking the cable? I suspect the PO might have had
>| similar trouble, because they just wired the heat open with bailing
>| wire (!) and didn't bother to replace the heater cables.
>
>I've use air tool oil as a substitute for penetrating oil. Takes a while
>but I've had almost 100% success

also common auto trans fluid works quite well for releasing rust
Old March 31st 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
NotMe

| >| Well, I got the left cable out (after an epic battle). I still can't
| >| get the right cable out -- the cable broke at the head (at the
| >| dashboard) and is really stuck in there -- tugging on it just breaks
| >| the cable more. I took a look under the chassis and didn't see any
| >| obvious damage to the guide tube....
| >|
| >| I'm going to try to get some WD-40 in there with an air hose, but if
| >| that doesn't work I guess I'll just run the new heater cable along the
| >| old guide tube and clip it to the outside of the guide tube with cable
| >| ties?
| >|
| >| Anyone have a better idea, short of cutting the guide tube and finding
| >| out what is sticking the cable? I suspect the PO might have had
| >| similar trouble, because they just wired the heat open with bailing
| >| wire (!) and didn't bother to replace the heater cables.
| >
| >I've use air tool oil as a substitute for penetrating oil. Takes a while
| >but I've had almost 100% success
| >
| also common auto trans fluid works quite well for releasing rust

That's assuming the blockage is rust. As often as not it's dirt and old
grease which tyranny fluid does not fully address where as air tool oil
being light and viscous does.

Like I said I've used a lot of 'stuff' over the years and found air tool oil
to the most effective.