teenage insurance

Old December 18th 04, 05:05 PM

Cory Dunkle wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > A 19-year-old commenting on youth, immaturity, and "the way things

are"
> > is always good for a little humor.
> >
> > The real world will teach you all sorts of things. Just wait -

you'll
> > see.

> You are a great example of ignorance.

The more you write, the more hilarious your comments become.

> You are either so full of yourself, or
> think so lowly of youth, or whatever the case may be, that you

> anything a young person says that you don't agree with primarily on

the
> reason they they are young and therefore don't know much, or 'can't

know as
> much as I do'.

Again, Cory, you are dead wrong. I dismiss what *you* say. Not the
general "youth." And not because you are young, but because you seem
to think you know something, when in reality, you haven't the slightest
clue.

Let me see if I have this straight:

You've been to three colleges, and lived at none. I will also assume
you haven't worked at any of them either.

You have, at most, 3 years of exposure to any kind of college
atmosphere (I think 3 years is a generous time span.)

Just on that basis alone, you don't have even a quarter of the
experience I do in the matter. Simple math. Funny thing about
"general youth" is that, in large part, they dismiss experience as
valuable.

Pretty much, I have the idea that you are much like a person who claims
after visiting Canada from the U.S. "I'm a world traveller!"

> It's really quite pathetic. You are in that group of people
> which the world would be a much better, more friendly place without.

The world ain't friendly, Cory. It's rough and cutthroat. The sooner
you get that, the more happy you'll be. The world doesn't give a damn
about you, your problems or your triumphs. Even if you were to become
famous, folks would soon turn on you and want to give you some
comeuppance.

You're young, and it shows. I'm not sure why you believe that I think
that's bad - we were all young once. We all made mistakes, mostly we
learned from them and came away wiser, more measured, and thought a
little more the next time. But you don't get older without being young
first.

The simple fact is that you are no more mature and serious than most of
your age peers. I'd say, from the folks I have met, that you are on
par. And yes, there are the kids who are wild and crazy and indulge in
a lifestyle of MFFY. Just like there are adults who do the very same
thing.

That 90% junk is just that - junk. If it were true, folks wouldn't
graduate from college. And grad rates are much higher than 10%, just
about everywhere.

For the record, my parents didn't pay for my school. I did. Of
course, it was mostly after the fact, through loans. And I'll tell
you, paying off tens of thousands of dollars on entry-level salary
(even in my field) means a lot of ramen and mac and cheese, no fast
cars ($200 '75 VW Rabbit) and certainly no cable TV. Those 8 years
after I graduated were quite lean.

Most of the students I know right now are very hard-working, serious
folks. Some are funded by their folks (and seem to work harder to live
up to expectations,) and some do it like I did - 40 hours a week of
minimum wage at two jobs, full class load, loans - and they still find
time to have some fun.

Oh, well - you'll believe whatever you want to believe, and I sure as
heck am not going to change your mind. Teenagers are some of the most
stubborn about knowing everything about everything. That's why it's a
standard joke about teens.

HAND,

E.P.

Old December 18th 04, 08:04 PM
Arif Khokar

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Excessive partying is a self-correcting vice - if you party too much,
> you get poor grades and you flunk out.

That's almost what happened to my roommate during our freshman year. At
the end of the semester, it turned out that his GPA was 1/2 that of mine
(and I had a 3.6, IIRC). He was placed on academic probation.
Old December 18th 04, 08:04 PM
Arif Khokar

Old December 19th 04, 03:43 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:34:23 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
> wrote:
>
> >> I got news for ya: life is full of rules and obligations. That's how
> >> we humans manage to live together in this thing called a "society." I
> >> don't seem to recall that my college campus' rules were any more
> >> arduous than the rules I live by today.

> >Do you have to report to your landlord whenever you have a guest at your
> >residence?

> Gee, that sounds EXACTLY like living under your parents' roof.

I was trying to make a point. When you live on your own, you don't have to
ask anyone if it's okay to have a guest.

> >> So your parents let you bring chicks home to spend the night with you
> >> in your room?

> >I've had my girlfriend spend the night now and again. They don't mind.

> Wild. Do you have to clear it with them first? Or do you just surprise
> them with a naked girl in their shower in the morning?

Well the times she has stayed over my parents hae known at least that night
before they go to bed, except a couple times when we just fell asleep while
watching a movie or wahtever and didn't wake up 'till morning. I've also
stayed over the ex's parents house lots of times.

> >> Can you have parties whenevr you want?

> >Yeah, so long as we're not too loud or anything.

> What is your parents are planning a party for the same weekend? What
> if your mom is in bed sick and needs peace and quiet to rest?

My idea of a party I would enojy is a couple of my friends over, not doing
anything loud or obnoxious. I've had friends over when my mom was sick and
she didn't mind. So long as she can get her rest she has no reaosn so be
bothered by anyone else in the house, so she isn't.

> >> Can you invite 30
> >> friends over for the weekend?

> >I don't even have 30 friends.

> I'll take that as a "no." I guess the bible study meetings will have
> to be done at someone else's house.

ha ha

> >> True freedom can never be achieved under one's parents' roof. One
> >> needs one's own roof for that.

> >About the only thing I can't do any time I want
> >is make love to my girlfriend, as I don't really wanna do that when

anyone
> >else is home. Still, we find time alone to do that nearly every day, so

even
> >that idn't something that I don't have the freedom or opportunity to do.

> Ah, but you have to schedule that activity carefully around whatever
> the P's are doing. That means no spontaneous romps on the kitchen
> table... But, then again, only immature people do kinky stuff like
> that.

Now you're mocking. Sure it would be nice to be more spontaneous, but as it
stands we _have_ done spontaneous 'romps' on the kitchen table and wherever
the mood may strike (heck, she once took me by surprise in a movie theater
parking lot!). 'Kinky' is relative, and regardless, can be plenty of fun.
Point is that me and the girlfriend find enough time alone that we can be
intimate nearly every day, which is enough for us to be satisfied so that
aspect of living at home is not a big deal.

> >The type of things you mention one cna not necessarily do under one's own
> >roof either, as most neighbors (at least that I've lived next to, and

myself
> >included) would not appreciate 30 loud, obnoxious, drunken, disrespectful
> >youths partying all weekend.

> Who said anything about loud, obnoxious, drunken, or disrespectful? I
> was talking about a bible study group or maybe a meeting of the book
> club. My point was simply that not many parents would be too keen on
> having 30 people show up unexpectedly some evening. When you're living
> under someone else's roof, you have to be considerate and schedule
> these things well in advance.

Well yes, when living with _anyone_, be it parents, friends, a rommate, etc.
you have to be considerate and schedule big things in advance to give the
otehrs that reside there a heads up and be sure they are alright with it.
That's just part of living with _anyone_ that you need to do. It's part of
being courteous and considerate.

> >There are some rules that make sense, like being
> >courteous about noise levels, bathroom/shower usage, etc., but most of

the
> >rules I've seen on campuses are ludicrous and have little to do with
> >anything.

> You mentioned one rule: reporting to your landlord when you have a
> guest in your residence. What other rules do you consider to have
> "little to do with anything?" If there are really as many as you
> claim, you should have no problems rattling off a whole laundry list
> of them.

You snipped out the windows not being open more than1".
Also there are 'paths' between places on campus that one is no longer
allowed to walk on, forcing one to take the long route alongside the road.
No cooking is allowed.
No microwaves allowed, unless you rent one from the college. Same for
refridgerators.

There are more I can't think of off the top of my head, it's been a year or
two since I spent any time at the ex's campus. There was a whole book with
tens of pages of ludicrous rules though. If you really must know more I
suppose I could always call up the ex and have her tell me some more rules.

> >They are the type of thing I never would
> >have imagined would ever be required to be a rule. Either common sense or
> >common courtesy would take care of it.

> So if a respectful, mature youth such as yourself would never run
> afoul of any of these rules, then why do they chafe you so much?

The fact that the campus 'authorities' will constantly be 'checking up' on
people, and looking for anything they can 'write you up' for.

> It's kinda like the laws regarding acceptable blood alcohol levels;
> since I never drink and drive, it never bothers me that they lowered
> the maximum BAC from 0.10 to 0.08 - that "rule" is a total non-issue
> for me. (Please, no comments from the peanut gallery telling me I
> could blow a 0.08 just by drinking a shot of NyQuil

That's different, being as how that law is there to be a gauge of
inebriation while driving. To determine what is and is not acceptable while
behind teh wheel.

Regardless, just because a given rule or law doesn't affect you doesn't mean
you shouldn't be concerned with it. For example, the speed limit doesn't
affect the majority of us, being as how we can go pretty much as fast as we
like (reasonable and prudent) and getting stopped by the police is just luck
of the draw depending on how bored the cop is or if he's not met his quota.
Heck, if you are obeying the speed limit you can still be stopped for
suspicion of DUI, because only drunks obey all traffic laws.

There are surely much beter examples, but I'm too tired to think of one at
the moment.

> >Instead we have babysitting,
> >protecting people from themselves, and BS like that ending up with a

million
> >and one ridiculous rules.

> Name 10 out of the million-and-one. OK, just name 5. The ones that
> really chafe your hiney.

I named a few above. If you want more I can find more for you.

The majority of 'students' saw the rules as getting in the way of having
fun, and whined in the school paper and such about how they were being
mistreated and treated liek children. Here's an idea for them, grow up and
act responsibly and maybe you won't be treated liek children. Damned
immature whining morons need to grow up if you ask me.

A small minority of students viewed many of the rules as a frustration
and/or being just plain
ludicrous, they argued logical points to the 'authorities' in hopes of
getting the rules changed. They didn't whine or complain or act like
children. Again, this is a very small minority of students on any of the
handful od campuses I've spent any time on that are actually responsible,
respectful, and logical in their behavior and responses.

Cory

Old December 19th 04, 03:43 AM
Cory Dunkle

Old December 19th 04, 04:05 AM
Cory Dunkle

I'm through with reading any of your posts in this thread. It's not wirth
the aggrivation and wasting my time with it. You just don't get it, and
likely never will. You are too stubborn and closed minded... You show no
desire to better yourself or have an open mind and take in new information,
so nothing I say matters as far as a discussion with you is concerned. I
only got througha shrot amount of your post before I decided this. I've
jsut had enough of you. Like I said, people like you make the world a worse
place. I'd prefer not to have much of anything to do with your type. You've
wasted enough of my time for now.

Cory

Old December 19th 04, 04:08 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:48:41 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> That's ridiculous. Who would spend $30,000/year on tuition, room,
> >> board, books, etc. etc. when they could just rent a double-wide for
> >> $250/month and have a lot more money with which to buy beer and pot?

> >The parents of that 90% who's main reason for going to college is

partying.

> Excessive partying is a self-correcting vice - if you party too much,
> you get poor grades and you flunk out.
>
> This is why the idea that 90% of college students are there to party
> is so ridiculous - the student churn rates as the party animals flunk
> out and are replaced with fresh party animals would be phenomenal.

That's only if all they do is party. I never said that all they do is party.
The main point of all that I've been saying is that the vast majority of
college students are immature brats who arent' serious about their education
or their lives in general. That doesn't mean that they won't try to at least
do well enough to stay in the college. After all, mommy and daddy would be
****ed if they flunked out, and many have at least enough sense to realize
that the piece of paper they get at the end is worth something. Doesn't mean
they are serious about it, and sure as heck doesn't mean they are mature or
respectful.

Cory

Old December 19th 04, 04:08 AM
Cory Dunkle

Old December 19th 04, 04:13 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:47:05 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
> wrote:
>
> >> It's one thing for a
> >> breadwinning adult to have a car to get to work, because that work
> >> earns the money that makes life possible. The typical suburban
> >> teenager does not have to work to support himself or his family; his
> >> needs are already taken acre of. Teenagers work because they WANT
> >> things, like extra clothes, entertainment, and automobiles. If they
> >> don't get a job, they will still have a roof over their heads, and
> >> food in their stomachs. Working is not a NEED for a typical suburban
> >> high school kid, and you know it.

> >So now it's a high school kid, eh?

> Most teenagers of driving age who still live at home are also still in
> high school, so yeah.
>
> >I agree, the typical high school kid
> >doesn't have a real job, and doesn't have much need for a car.

> Then I see we are basically in agreement.
>
> >A typical high school student eitehr not working, or working some lame

pump
> >jockey or food service job doesn't 'need' a car in most cases. It is a
> >luxury for him.

> And from our discussion I see you don't fit that mold, so my comments
> don't apply to you.
>
> How's that?

Well I suppose that works. There are groups you can classify everyone into.
It's just not so simple as to say everone under age 'x' does not "need" a
car. Everyone had their own circumstances which necessitate different things
in their lives. You can group people to some degree according to the various
circumstances or whatever you like. You just cant lump everyone's needs into
the same catagory based on age alone.

Cory