Serpintine belt alignment

Old September 29th 15, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Serpintine belt alignment

My wife's 2007 4cylinder two wheel drive escape has always made terrible belt noises. A new belt will fix it for awhile, but it always comes back. I would like to check and make sure all the pulleys are perfectly aligned with each other and thought about making a laser tool using an air pistol laser scope. I would like to mount it to a piece of channel iron that would fit into the grooved in the pulley. Does anyone know what the spacing is between the grooves so as to know what size channel iron I need? Because it is her daily driver, my access to it is very limited.
Old September 30th 15, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>My wife's 2007 4cylinder two wheel drive escape has always made terrible be=
>lt noises. A new belt will fix it for awhile, but it always comes back. I w=
>ould like to check and make sure all the pulleys are perfectly aligned with=
> each other and thought about making a laser tool using an air pistol laser=
> scope. I would like to mount it to a piece of channel iron that would fit =
>into the grooved in the pulley. Does anyone know what the spacing is betwee=
>n the grooves so as to know what size channel iron I need? Because it is he=
>r daily driver, my access to it is very limited.

You should be able to figure that out by looking at the belt... but the iron
does not need to actually match the belt at all, it just needs to fit like
a wedge inside that groove.

Now... that said... if there is an alignment issue you should be able to
tell by looking at the belt with a magnifier because you should see different
wear patterns on the two sides of each ridge.

It wouldn't hurt to check the alignment with a laser or gauge, but I'd first
see if you can get a better quality belt. So many belt noise problems that
I have seen have been the result of crappy chain store belts.
--scott