OT-Hurricane Denis

Old July 8th 05, 04:38 AM
Susan S.

Default OT-Hurricane Denis

Well, once again, here we go. Another fine storm headed directly at my
house !! LOL
Sometimes it seems like that. Everyone here is in full panic after sitting
through Ivan. The stores are packed with people but empty on food and the
lines at the gas stations are already down the block, if they have any gas
left at all. Sad thing is we still have people living in houses with blue
tarps for roofs from the last storm.

I sat through the last one, headed out of town for this one. Once is
enough. Pulling out Saturday morning. Just wish my car was running so I
could at least move it to a safer location.

Say a prayer for us here on the Gulf Coast........I think we're going to
need it.

Susan S.
Pensacola Fl

Old July 8th 05, 04:48 AM
Jan Andersson

"Susan S." wrote:

> Well, once again, here we go. Another fine storm headed directly at my
> house !! LOL
> Sometimes it seems like that. Everyone here is in full panic after sitting
> through Ivan. The stores are packed with people but empty on food and the
> lines at the gas stations are already down the block, if they have any gas
> left at all. Sad thing is we still have people living in houses with blue
> tarps for roofs from the last storm.
>
> I sat through the last one, headed out of town for this one. Once is
> enough. Pulling out Saturday morning. Just wish my car was running so I
> could at least move it to a safer location.
>
> Say a prayer for us here on the Gulf Coast........I think we're going to
> need it.
>
> Susan S.
> Pensacola Fl

Hang in there Susan. Keep yourself and your family safe, material things
can be replaced.
If you board up your windows, make a few "peep holes" to allow pressure
release. A big blow on the board might push it inwards enough that teh
sudden pressure increase in the "pocket" between board and window might
crack the window. Something I just learned a while ago, I'm trying to
floridanize myself here

Jan (Safely away 5000 miles away from the hurricane, but my family is in
FL as you may know already.. so I have an interest)
Old July 8th 05, 05:09 AM
Charles @ Kankakee

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> "Susan S." wrote:
>>
>> Well, once again, here we go. Another fine storm headed directly at my
>> house !! LOL
>> Sometimes it seems like that. Everyone here is in full panic after
>> sitting
>> through Ivan. The stores are packed with people but empty on food and
>> the
>> lines at the gas stations are already down the block, if they have any
>> gas
>> left at all. Sad thing is we still have people living in houses with
>> blue
>> tarps for roofs from the last storm.
>>
>> I sat through the last one, headed out of town for this one. Once is
>> enough. Pulling out Saturday morning. Just wish my car was running so I
>> could at least move it to a safer location.
>>
>> Say a prayer for us here on the Gulf Coast........I think we're going to
>> need it.
>>
>> Susan S.
>> Pensacola Fl

> Hang in there Susan. Keep yourself and your family safe, material things
> can be replaced.
> If you board up your windows, make a few "peep holes" to allow pressure
> release. A big blow on the board might push it inwards enough that teh
> sudden pressure increase in the "pocket" between board and window might
> crack the window. Something I just learned a while ago, I'm trying to
> floridanize myself here
>
> Jan (Safely away 5000 miles away from the hurricane, but my family is in
> FL as you may know already.. so I have an interest)

I have relatives that live near Gulfport, MS. They got hit pretty good in
1970 with Hurricane Camille.

I can understand the feeling.

Charles of Kankakee

Old July 8th 05, 06:02 AM
Susan S.

It's a very bizarre feeling knowing that you may leave your home and in just
a few short hours, everything could be gone.

Thanks for the tip on the boards. My husband is handling the boarding job
this time on Saturday, after we leave out but I'll pass the info on.

Boy can you tell I'm tired......I'm pretty sure it's spelled
Dennis.......LOL

Susan S.

Old July 8th 05, 01:27 PM
Karls Vladimir Peña

Susan, why can't americans just use more concrete on their houses and not
worry that much for hurricanes? I mean, you can afford better construction
materials and techniques, is there a regulation that ties you to weak
materials? Last time I was in florida a few years ago everyone was blocking
doors and windows for a tropical storm!

Here nobody cares (almost) until it's a class 3-4 Hurricane, maybe we are
too used to them or we have too much cinder. Well, poor people here have a
really tough time with storms, but in a few days everything is
reconstructed.

Karls

.. .

Old July 8th 05, 05:33 PM
Jan Andersson

You know, this amazes me too. They have lived there for what, 300 years
or more?
You'd think they would know by now that it's a hurricane prone area and
design buildings accordingly

I'm so proud to increase the average IQ of both my country and FL when I
go there.

Jan

Old July 8th 05, 05:56 PM
Karls Vladimir Peña

229 years actually. Nevertheless, they should know by now. That is the
general behaviour for americans. In new york, on very high density areas,
they use wood, gipsumboard and other fire prone materials even on floors.
Add to that old gas pipes and a spark, and you got july 4th any time of
year. A fire in the kitchen is a fire in te whole building in a matter of
minutes. Only big corporative buildings use REAL fire retardants and that is
because regulations and insurance companies force them to.

Why not build better and pay less insurance? I remember once someone told me
how much he paid for insurance in florida and it was more than the total
cost of a 120 M2 apartment here, and that's EVERY year!!!

Old July 8th 05, 07:12 PM
Joao Eliseu

"Karls Vladimir Peña" > wrote:
>229 years actually. Nevertheless, they should know by now. That is the
>general behaviour for americans. In new york, on very high density areas,
>they use wood, gipsumboard and other fire prone materials even on floors.
>Add to that old gas pipes and a spark, and you got july 4th any time of
>year. A fire in the kitchen is a fire in te whole building in a matter of
>minutes. Only big corporative buildings use REAL fire retardants and that
>is
>because regulations and insurance companies force them to.
>
>Why not build better and pay less insurance? I remember once someone told
>me
>how much he paid for insurance in florida and it was more than the total
>cost of a 120 M2 apartment here, and that's EVERY year!!!
>
>"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
>>
>> You know, this amazes me too. They have lived there for what, 300 years
>> or more?
>> You'd think they would know by now that it's a hurricane prone area and
>> design buildings accordingly
>>
>> I'm so proud to increase the average IQ of both my country and FL when I
>> go there.
>>
>> Jan

I also think the same when I see the type of house they build on a hurricane zone.
They also speed a lot of money trying to avoid their houses from being eat by the
*ants*
It looks like that only Americans can’t see that.

Joao
Old July 8th 05, 10:23 PM
Susan S.

The problem isn't necessarily with the new construction as the old. The
south including Florida is full of older homes that weren't built to any
hurricane codes especially the newer codes. Also as with most areas we have
a great deal of mobile homes. Rolling death traps in the even of a
hurricane. And yes, there are the "elite" who build the big homes out on
the beach with all the glass and pillars and although they are "code",
common sense says they don't really have a chance.

I live in a home about 10 years old. Solid brick and well built. My home
has a good chance of surviving a hurricane of great power, as it did during
Ivan, a category 3 when it hit the area. But just like last time, there
will be lines for water, ice, gas and food. Traffic will be a nightmare.
The heat will be unbearable.
And I'm just too old to deal with the stress again.

Why then am I leaving the area ? Just in case. I've got two kids to think
of. And no house is worth risking them.

Susan S.

Old July 8th 05, 10:45 PM
Seth Graham

On 2005-07-08, Karls Vladimir Peña > wrote:
> 229 years actually. Nevertheless, they should know by now. That is the
> general behaviour for americans.

Up in Anchorage, Alaska there is a residential district fairly near to
the airport, along the shoreline of the cook inlet. In the 1964 earthquake,
pretty much the entire area slid into the water, it's almost entirely
resting on clay/silt deposits. There's a park there now, called earthquake
park. It's rumored if you dig a little bit you can still find wreckage from
the ruined homes.

You think that'd be a good hint to not build there, right? Wrong. People
rebuilt, and it's one of the two main middle class housing areas in the
city. Still with almost no foundation to speak of, it's a big jello mold
waiting for another earthquake to break free.

In their defense (sort of), construction code has been updated and homes
up thataway are much less likely to collapse in on themselves during an
earthquake, but I fail to see how that will help as the entire area heads
down to the beach to play in the surf.

When I lived up there, I was in the nice safe foothills of the mountains
with nice thick rock under my home.