Porsche 944 taillight question

Old January 14th 05, 08:19 PM
Ulf

N8N wrote:

> I dunno, it looks like the owner of that site took all the pics with
> the lights on, note that in the front pics the fog lights are on as
> well.

Are you sure they're fog lights? Looks like high beams to me. I know on
my BMW I can activate the high beams without the lights on (otherwise
the flash to pass feature wouldn't work).

> I've seen the taillights both ways (on various Euro cars) and I
> really don't know which is correct at this point. Would sure like some
> confirmation, but that was the most "definitive" pic I could find after
> an image search for all the 944 images I could find...

Why don't you contact the owner, I'm sure he speaks some English... :-)

BTW, you have tried searching for "porsche 944 rear" (or similar) on
Google's image search, right?

> nate

Ulf
Old January 14th 05, 11:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, N8N wrote:

> > This photo, from your 2nd link, looks like the unlit retroreflectors
> > are being hit with the same photoflash that's visible as white spot
> > reflections in a vertical line running downward from the hatch lock:
> > http://jimweb.free.fr/rear.jpg

> I dunno, it looks like the owner of that site took all the pics with the
> lights on,

Er...naw, it doesn't. Here's his photos page:
http://jimweb.free.fr/photos944.html

There are 12 photos here, of which:
-10 show the exterior, of which:
-8 show exterior lights reliably, of which:
-3 show the fog lamps definitely on
-4 show definitely no lamps on.

In addition, not all of these photos were taken in the same location. The
rear 3/4 view, for instance, was not taken in the same location as the
straight-on rear view.

I stand by my interpretation that what you're seeing in the rear view is
not a taillamp at all, but a photoflash-lit retroreflector *only*.

DS (Have you considered checking your parts catalogue and seeing what it
says are used for bulbs?)
Old January 14th 05, 11:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 15th 05, 03:39 AM
Malc

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, N8N wrote:

> I stand by my interpretation that what you're seeing in the rear view is
> not a taillamp at all, but a photoflash-lit retroreflector *only*.

On a UK 944 at least, the reflector only (middle bottom section) is the
sidelight, the brakelights are the outer lower sections, the inner upper &
lower sections are foglights on both sides.

On the dash there are two fog light switches between the steering column &
the driver's door (as shown on one of the pics posted earlier), the rear
fogs only come on if both the headlights /and/ front foglights are on.

If you rewire your taillights don't put the foglight & brakelight next to
each other.

hth, Malc.

Old January 15th 05, 03:39 AM
Malc

Old January 15th 05, 02:06 PM
N8N

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, N8N wrote:
>
> > > This photo, from your 2nd link, looks like the unlit

retroreflectors
> > > are being hit with the same photoflash that's visible as white

spot
> > > reflections in a vertical line running downward from the hatch

lock:
> > > http://jimweb.free.fr/rear.jpg

> > I dunno, it looks like the owner of that site took all the pics

with the
> > lights on,

> Er...naw, it doesn't. Here's his photos page:
> http://jimweb.free.fr/photos944.html
>
> There are 12 photos here, of which:
> -10 show the exterior, of which:
> -8 show exterior lights reliably, of which:
> -3 show the fog lamps definitely on
> -4 show definitely no lamps on.
>
> In addition, not all of these photos were taken in the same location.

The
> rear 3/4 view, for instance, was not taken in the same location as

the
> straight-on rear view.
>
> I stand by my interpretation that what you're seeing in the rear view

is
> not a taillamp at all, but a photoflash-lit retroreflector *only*.
>
> DS (Have you considered checking your parts catalogue and seeing what

it
> says are used for bulbs?)

I did, but I forget what it said now :/ I can check when I get back
home again (posting from a strange computer that doesn't have all my
little conveniences loaded on it)

To Ulf, yes I've done a google images search (actually several) for the
ass end of a 944, nobody seems to take pictures of their car at night
though.

nate

Old January 15th 05, 02:06 PM
N8N

Old January 15th 05, 07:57 PM
N8N

Malc wrote:
> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> .umich.edu...
> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, N8N wrote:

> > I stand by my interpretation that what you're seeing in the rear

view is
> > not a taillamp at all, but a photoflash-lit retroreflector *only*.

> On a UK 944 at least, the reflector only (middle bottom section) is

the
> sidelight, the brakelights are the outer lower sections, the inner

upper &
> lower sections are foglights on both sides.
>
> On the dash there are two fog light switches between the steering

column &
> the driver's door (as shown on one of the pics posted earlier), the

rear
> fogs only come on if both the headlights /and/ front foglights are

on.

> If you rewire your taillights don't put the foglight & brakelight

next to
> each other.
>
> hth, Malc.

Thanks Malc, so what you are saying is that even on the ECE bulbholders
there are no "shared" segments in the taillights? (sorry Daniel, I'm
not motivated enough to do custom work, even though you say it's
better...) That pretty much clears up what I would need to do to
duplicate the Euro setup then. The only remaining question is is the
wiring in place, and that I won't know until I go to hook it up...

nate

Old January 15th 05, 07:57 PM
N8N

Old January 15th 05, 08:53 PM
Malc

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> > On a UK 944 at least, the reflector only (middle bottom section) is

> the
> > sidelight, the brakelights are the outer lower sections, the inner

> upper &
> > lower sections are foglights on both sides.

> Thanks Malc, so what you are saying is that even on the ECE bulbholders
> there are no "shared" segments in the taillights?

Yes that's right. The lower outer segment /could/ be shared between brake &
sidelight (ie if the sidelight took up two segments) but it isn't on mine.

Malc.

E34 question Vernon Balbert BMW 11 October 27th 04 01:37 PM
JEEP question - 4.0 vs 4.0HO James Morrow 4x4 12 June 2nd 04 05:16 PM
FA: The Porsche Album "Die Porsche Kassette" Julian Standen Antique cars 0 February 27th 04 09:49 PM