Paging Daniel Stern - amber turn signals

Old July 18th 05, 06:09 PM
y_p_w

> > FMVSS section 108:
> >
> > <http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/49cfr571.108.htm>
> >
> > "TABLE IV-LOCATION OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
> > [All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger
> > Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers, and Buses of Less than 80 (2032)
> > Inches (MM) Overall Width]
> >
> > **Turn signal lamps - Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles,
> > trucks, trailers, and buses:
> > At or near the front-1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
> > at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.
> > On the rear-1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
> > at the same height, and as far apart as practicable."

> Okay, but I can legally have white or amber front, and red or amber
> rear, turn signals.

No - front turn signals **must** be amber per FMVSS 108. Rears can be
amber or red.

It should be read this way:

Old July 18th 05, 06:21 PM
N8N

N8N wrote:
> Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> > > Would an 1157 or similar qualify do you think?

> > Can't say for sure.
> >
> > > who was a POR-15 dealer, I can see if he has a little I can borrow to
> > > experiment with.

> > Half-and-half "14K Gold" and "Afterburner Orange" ought to produce a
> > half-decent amber.
> >
> > > I *don't* want to color the lenses, those are also rare and expensive
> > > (and plastic to boot.)

> > Still ain't seen e-mail from you...if one comes in, I'll respond with
> > other suggestions that don't involve painting anything.

> Honestly, I haven't been home in several days so I haven't had access
> to my pictures. The girlie lives a lot closer to my new office than I
> do; I've been known to impose on her when I have an early AM meeting.
>
> nate

Wooden ya know it, my personal computer cr4sh0red over the weekend...
might have to wait a while until I can a) procure a replacement and b)
retrieve all the files off my hard drive... I used to have pics of the
parking light housings on my web site but had to take them down due to
space limitations...

nate

Old July 18th 05, 09:06 PM
Ulf

y_p_w wrote:
>>>FMVSS section 108:
>>>
>>><http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/49cfr571.108.htm>
>>>
>>>"TABLE IV-LOCATION OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
>>>[All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger
>>>Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers, and Buses of Less than 80 (2032)
>>>Inches (MM) Overall Width]
>>>
>>>**Turn signal lamps - Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles,
>>>trucks, trailers, and buses:
>>>At or near the front-1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
>>>at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.
>>>On the rear-1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
>>>at the same height, and as far apart as practicable."

>>Okay, but I can legally have white or amber front, and red or amber
>>rear, turn signals.

> No - front turn signals **must** be amber per FMVSS 108. Rears can be
> amber or red.
>
> It should be read this way:
>
> Turn signal lamps - Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles,
> trucks, trailers, and buses:
> At or near the front-1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
> at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.

You're missing the point. Read Daniel's post again, he explained it to you.

Ulf
Old July 18th 05, 09:39 PM
y_p_w

Ulf wrote:
> y_p_w wrote:

> > No - front turn signals **must** be amber per FMVSS 108. Rears can be
> > amber or red.
> >
> > It should be read this way:
> >
> > Turn signal lamps - Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles,
> > trucks, trailers, and buses:
> > At or near the front-1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
> > at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.

> You're missing the point. Read Daniel's post again, he explained it
> to you.

I don't think I'm missing the point. White is not a legal turn
signal color anywhere. Here's his post:

DS> That Table III is, like much of FMVSS108, tough to read. "2 red
DS> or amber" applies to the rear, "2 amber" applies to the front.

Ergo - must have two amber turn signal lights in the front.

DS> All regulations worldwide except North American ones require amber
DS> turn signals at all four corners. Have for decades. ECE R48, ADR,
DS> JIS, etc.

Ergo - all four turn signals must be amber outside of North America.

In the US, there are two options for passenger car turn signals.

1) Two amber in the front and two amber in the rear.
2) Two amber in the front and two red in the rear.

Old July 18th 05, 10:09 PM
N8N

y_p_w wrote:
> Ulf wrote:
> > y_p_w wrote:

> > > No - front turn signals **must** be amber per FMVSS 108. Rears can be
> > > amber or red.
> > >
> > > It should be read this way:
> > >
> > > Turn signal lamps - Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles,
> > > trucks, trailers, and buses:
> > > At or near the front-1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
> > > at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.

> > You're missing the point. Read Daniel's post again, he explained it
> > to you.

> I don't think I'm missing the point. White is not a legal turn
> signal color anywhere. Here's his post:
>
> DS> That Table III is, like much of FMVSS108, tough to read. "2 red
> DS> or amber" applies to the rear, "2 amber" applies to the front.
>
> Ergo - must have two amber turn signal lights in the front.
>
> DS> All regulations worldwide except North American ones require amber
> DS> turn signals at all four corners. Have for decades. ECE R48, ADR,
> DS> JIS, etc.
>
> Ergo - all four turn signals must be amber outside of North America.
>
> In the US, there are two options for passenger car turn signals.
>
> 1) Two amber in the front and two amber in the rear.
> 2) Two amber in the front and two red in the rear.

The wrinkle is that the front *parking lights* which are almost always
combined with the turn signals, may be white or amber. Other than very
recent cars, I can only think of one example of white parking lights
being used (VW Corrado) Also before 1963, in the US the front turn
signals were white as well, although the number of pre-1963 cars still
on the road is small at this point (I'm doing my part though <G>)

nate

Old July 18th 05, 10:42 PM
Daniel J. Stern

YPW, fighting with Ulf is a lot like mud wrestling with a pig.

Old July 18th 05, 10:52 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, N8N wrote:

> > I don't think I'm missing the point. White is not a legal turn signal
> > color anywhere. Ergo - must have two amber turn signal lights in the
> > front.
> > In the US, there are two options for passenger car turn signals.
> > 1) Two amber in the front and two amber in the rear.
> > 2) Two amber in the front and two red in the rear.

> The wrinkle is that the front *parking lights* which are almost always
> combined with the turn signals, may be white or amber.

That is not the wrinkle at all. That has, in fact, nothing to do with the
color of front turn signals.

Ulf is right(!) on this one. I did explain it in a previous post.

> Other than very
> recent cars, I can only think of one example of white parking lights
> being used (VW Corrado)

Audi 200
Volvo 122
Volvo 140
Toyota Camry through '95, and numerous other Toyotas
Several Nissans
Several different Hondas and Acuras
Subaru Impreza through '01

Old July 19th 05, 12:43 AM
y_p_w

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> YPW, fighting with Ulf is a lot like mud wrestling with a pig.

I think I figured this out. You did say there are some 60's or
older cars with white turn signals, but the standards in place
since the 60's call for amber or red in the rear.

I don't recall any new car sold in the US in my lifetime with
white turn signals.

Old July 19th 05, 01:43 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, y_p_w wrote:

> I think I figured this out. You did say there are some 60's or older
> cars with white turn signals, but the standards in place since the 60's
> call for amber or red in the rear. I don't recall any new car sold in
> the US in my lifetime with white turn signals.

....keep readin'...
Old July 19th 05, 04:17 PM
Ulf

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, N8N wrote:
>

>>>I don't think I'm missing the point. White is not a legal turn signal
>>>color anywhere. Ergo - must have two amber turn signal lights in the
>>>front.

You're wrong. I know my local lighting regulations, and having white
front turn signals on my Camaro is legal. Besides, from a safety
standpoint, which is best; having amber DRLs or white turn signals?

>>>In the US, there are two options for passenger car turn signals.
>>>1) Two amber in the front and two amber in the rear.
>>>2) Two amber in the front and two red in the rear.

Sure, when the car was sold new.

>>The wrinkle is that the front *parking lights* which are almost always
>>combined with the turn signals, may be white or amber.

> That is not the wrinkle at all. That has, in fact, nothing to do with the
> color of front turn signals.
>
> Ulf is right(!) on this one. I did explain it in a previous post.

I've been right the whole time. The thing is that you don't have the
slightest clue what my local regulations say. All you do is cite the
Federal and ECE regs.

>>Other than very
>>recent cars, I can only think of one example of white parking lights
>>being used (VW Corrado)

> Audi 200
> Volvo 122
> Volvo 140
> Toyota Camry through '95, and numerous other Toyotas
> Several Nissans
> Several different Hondas and Acuras
> Subaru Impreza through '01

Doesn't almost a majority of the European cars have white parking lights
now?

Ulf