Next problem, The Distributor, 74 Bus

Old July 8th 05, 02:10 AM
driver

Default Next problem, The Distributor, 74 Bus

Part number 021 905 205N.

I have conlcuded that neither my vacuum or centrifgal advance is working.
Timing light and rev the engine. Timing mark does not move. (I guess thats
why I had advanced to about 22 deg)

How much can I dismantal the distributor? I have the breaker plate out (wire
still attached) but cannot move the next plate that covers the centrifigul
parts. I would like to get in there. Is this plate removable? (i see three
peened marks on teh bod of the distrib. but if I rotate the plate, it would
clear the marks)

I would figure, even with worn parts, it would move a little. But no advance
at all.

Next question, On the vaccum unit, there are two hose connection. One is on
top and about vertical, the other is on the side and horizontal. What does
each do? If i suck on the top one, the lever pulls in to its max (about 1/8
in). The the side one does nothing and seems to be leaking. According to
bently, move the plate CCW and cover holes. If moves back, it leaks, if it
stays, its good. Well, I can get it to stay by sucking on the top one and
holding with my tongue. Again, the side one has no affect. I assume one if
for advance and one is for retard.

ANy thoughts or suggestions before I purchase a new distributor. (or used)

--Steve
74 Westie, NJ

Old July 8th 05, 02:22 AM
driver

Well no used on the samba.

Old July 8th 05, 02:37 AM
driver

The bus depot offers three distributors:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=043905205 @ $120

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=0231170093 @ $590

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=300920E @ $140 plus core. (this
one is a rebuilt. Heck, if they can rebui;f it, why can't I.) I guess the
first one looks like a good deal. Throw a pertronix in there and I'll be
racing porsches. oops I mean porches, as in the ones that are attached to
houses and don't move. Think I'll have a chance? (I don't think I get past
those big wrap arounds)

Old July 8th 05, 02:49 AM
driver

More intersting reading:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....905%2D2 05%2D
ZB
This is a 100% new - OE Genuine VW of Mexico single vacuum advance
distributor. This distributor provides mechanic advance along with the
vacuum advance for a smooth and reliable service. The advantage of this type
of set up over a standard 009 Bosch distributor is - NO MORE FLAT SPOT when
you take-off from a stop sign. The combination of a new 30 or 34-PICT
carburetor and our new vacuum advance distributor will give you the smoothes
driving experience you have ever had in your Beetle, Ghia or Bus. This
distributor also works with all 1972 and later Bus/Van 17-2000cc engines
with stock intake systems. We also offer our all new OE Quality BRUCK SVDA
distributor at a introductory low price. SEE PART NUMBER C24-043-905-205-ZB

This distributor WILL NOT work properly with aftermarket carburetion systems
unless a correct vacuum port is installed into one of the carburetors. DO
NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF, only an expert with proper experience on the brand of
carburetor you have will be able to tell you if this can be done, and how to
do this. Any engine with a large duration cam shaft will not have sufficient
vacuum at idle to make the vacuum advance distributor work correctly.

Comes complete with cap,rotor,points and condenser. Ready to install. Will
work properly with any 13-1600cc Beetle, Bus or Ghia engine with the stock
30 or 34-PICT carburetor. If your original distributor is dual vacuum, then
you will need to cap off the vacuum retard side, and only run the vacuum
advance from the side of the carburetor. To upgrade to Pertronix or
Compu-fire electronic ignition, see part numbers PER-1847 or C22-21101.
--------------------------------
So I wonder if my single weber carb is givign me trouble. at idle iI have
about 11 IN. of vac. At reving, it moves around. Goes up to 15 or so, but I
never checked it to the RPM. This is direct from the carb.

Old July 9th 05, 12:23 AM
driver

I have now concluded that the centrfgl adv is seized. My father telling me
how works. Hope I can unstick it.

Old July 9th 05, 12:26 AM
Jan Andersson

The main shaft is made of two parts, there's dirt in between the layers.
Soak it up in some solvent like carb cleaner overnight, and try to twist
the top end (where the rotor goes) loose from the bottom end (the part
that goes inside the engine)

jan

Old July 9th 05, 01:07 AM
driver

I don't think there is dirt in there.

I keep spraying it with CorosionX oil. It should loosen. But right now, it
will not move at all. I have it installed so I can keep the bottom locked.

oh boy.

Can I dismantal it completely?

Old July 9th 05, 01:45 AM
driver

I mean, this thing is really seized. I am applying a few foot pounds at
least with my hand. it moves about 1/16.

Old July 9th 05, 02:46 AM
Karl

If you look down the center of the top, under the rotor, you will see a brown felt plug. On each
service people are supposed to put a few drops of oil on the pad to keep the 2 halves of the shafts
lubricated so sludge does not lock them up....like yours did. But no one ever lubes the shaft and
they freeze up. Going to electronic ignition makes it even worse because then you totally forget
about popping the dist cap!

Get carb spray cleaner; not brakekleen, not WD-40, not penetrent oil, get real carb spray cleaner
like Berrymans B100. Remove the rotor and remove the felt. Spray in the center, let it sit, spray,
let it sit. Then try to rotate the rotor. Keep working it back and forth and spray and soak.

Old July 9th 05, 05:37 AM
Jim Adney

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 23:23:05 GMT "driver" > wrote:

>I have now concluded that the centrfgl adv is seized. My father telling me
>how works. Hope I can unstick it.

I regularly rebuild these for $55, including return shipping. Small
parts are included, major parts may be extra. Major parts other than
vac adv cans are seldom needed.

You may succeed at this yourself, but you are very likely to be
stymied at some point, or to damage something and ruin the
distributor. Go ahead and try it, but be aware enough to know when to
stop.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA