My E34 is lying to me

Old June 29th 05, 08:02 PM
Ulf

Default My E34 is lying to me

This happened to me yesterday driving from my house. The low fuel light
has been on for a couple of days, but the OBC tells me I can drive
another 39 km. I figured the car knows what it's talking about so I
don't worry about it. However, just a couple of minutes later the car
starts running rough. Realizing that I'm out of gas I try to drive to a
local gas station. I almost make it, the car stalled just about a block
away with the OBC telling me I can go another 37 km?! WTF, that's 25
miles, yet the car *is* really, positively, out of gas. Is the fuel
range figure calculated including how far you're able to push the car in
an emergency too, or what? Anyway, so I call a friend as I'm parked by
the curb. Adding insult to injury a E28 driver gives me a ****ed look
and gestures as if I'm in his way or something, yet non of the other
vehicles passing me where having a problem. Too bad he didn't stop
though, I could have told him a couple of things...

Ulf
Old June 29th 05, 08:27 PM
Jeff Strickland

Your car is probably bent in half from dragging that damn trailer, and the
last gallon of gas is stuck where the sending unit can see it, but the
pick-up can't get at it. <hehehe>

The Low Fuel light seems to be working right to me, you ignored it's warning
and now it is explaining why you are walking. If it said that you sitll had
100 miles remaining, then I'd wonder what's up, but you got down to within
the last gallon of gas remaining.

Old June 29th 05, 08:52 PM
JimV

Ulf wrote:
> This happened to me yesterday driving from my house. The low fuel light
> has been on for a couple of days, but the OBC tells me I can drive
> another 39 km. I figured the car knows what it's talking about so I
> don't worry about it. However, just a couple of minutes later the car
> starts running rough. Realizing that I'm out of gas I try to drive to a
> local gas station. I almost make it, the car stalled just about a block
> away with the OBC telling me I can go another 37 km?! WTF, that's 25
> miles, yet the car *is* really, positively, out of gas. Is the fuel
> range figure calculated including how far you're able to push the car in
> an emergency too, or what? Anyway, so I call a friend as I'm parked by
> the curb. Adding insult to injury a E28 driver gives me a ****ed look
> and gestures as if I'm in his way or something, yet non of the other
> vehicles passing me where having a problem. Too bad he didn't stop
> though, I could have told him a couple of things...
>

> Ulf

The OBC is not that accurate. When the low fuel light comes on, it's
best to put fuel in it.

Old June 29th 05, 09:55 PM
Psycho

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:52:30 -0400, JimV > wrote:

>Ulf wrote:
>> This happened to me yesterday driving from my house. The low fuel light
>> has been on for a couple of days, but the OBC tells me I can drive
>> another 39 km. I figured the car knows what it's talking about so I
>> don't worry about it. However, just a couple of minutes later the car
>> starts running rough. Realizing that I'm out of gas I try to drive to a
>> local gas station. I almost make it, the car stalled just about a block
>> away with the OBC telling me I can go another 37 km?! WTF, that's 25
>> miles, yet the car *is* really, positively, out of gas. Is the fuel
>> range figure calculated including how far you're able to push the car in
>> an emergency too, or what? Anyway, so I call a friend as I'm parked by
>> the curb. Adding insult to injury a E28 driver gives me a ****ed look
>> and gestures as if I'm in his way or something, yet non of the other
>> vehicles passing me where having a problem. Too bad he didn't stop
>> though, I could have told him a couple of things...
>>

>> Ulf

>The OBC is not that accurate. When the low fuel light comes on, it's
>best to put fuel in it.

I usually fill up when I get down to 1/4 tank. This applies to ANY
car as it keeps me from getting sidetracked and having to push.
Old June 29th 05, 10:25 PM
Tom K.

"Ulf" > wrote in message

> I figured the car knows what it's talking about so I don't worry about
> it.

Like your speedometer & "Dubya" - maybe we should all start to worry!

Tom

Old June 30th 05, 02:05 AM
dizzy

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:02:21 GMT, Ulf > wrote:

>This happened to me yesterday driving from my house. The low fuel light
>has been on for a couple of days, but the OBC tells me I can drive
>another 39 km. I figured the car knows what it's talking about so I
>don't worry about it. However, just a couple of minutes later the car
>starts running rough. Realizing that I'm out of gas I try to drive to a
>local gas station. I almost make it, the car stalled just about a block
>away with the OBC telling me I can go another 37 km?! WTF, that's 25
>miles, yet the car *is* really, positively, out of gas. Is the fuel
>range figure calculated including how far you're able to push the car in
>an emergency too, or what? Anyway, so I call a friend as I'm parked by
>the curb. Adding insult to injury a E28 driver gives me a ****ed look
>and gestures as if I'm in his way or something, yet non of the other
>vehicles passing me where having a problem. Too bad he didn't stop
>though, I could have told him a couple of things...

I take it you're not a rocket scientist?

Old June 30th 05, 08:39 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
JimV > wrote:
> The OBC is not that accurate. When the low fuel light comes on, it's
> best to put fuel in it.

I once ran my E39 to 5 miles from empty on the OBC - and a long time after
the light had come on. And it took the stated capacity of the tank to fill
it.

So I trust mine. The E39 IIRC has twin fuel level sensors. Dunno if the
E34 has.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old June 30th 05, 06:42 PM
Ulf

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> Your car is probably bent in half from dragging that damn trailer, and the
> last gallon of gas is stuck where the sending unit can see it, but the
> pick-up can't get at it. <hehehe>

Nah, my car is fine. Ready to pull another trailer... :-)

> The Low Fuel light seems to be working right to me, you ignored it's warning
> and now it is explaining why you are walking. If it said that you sitll had
> 100 miles remaining, then I'd wonder what's up, but you got down to within
> the last gallon of gas remaining.

Well, I think that if the OBC is unable to correctly calculate the
distance it should err on the safe side, and not overestimate it.

> "Ulf" > wrote in message
>
>>This happened to me yesterday driving from my house. The low fuel light
>>has been on for a couple of days, but the OBC tells me I can drive
>>another 39 km. I figured the car knows what it's talking about so I
>>don't worry about it. However, just a couple of minutes later the car
>>starts running rough. Realizing that I'm out of gas I try to drive to a
>>local gas station. I almost make it, the car stalled just about a block
>>away with the OBC telling me I can go another 37 km?! WTF, that's 25
>>miles, yet the car *is* really, positively, out of gas. Is the fuel
>>range figure calculated including how far you're able to push the car in
>>an emergency too, or what? Anyway, so I call a friend as I'm parked by
>>the curb. Adding insult to injury a E28 driver gives me a ****ed look
>>and gestures as if I'm in his way or something, yet non of the other
>>vehicles passing me where having a problem. Too bad he didn't stop
>>though, I could have told him a couple of things...
>>

>>Ulf

Ulf
Old June 30th 05, 06:43 PM
Ulf

dizzy wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:02:21 GMT, Ulf > wrote:
>

>>This happened to me yesterday driving from my house. The low fuel light
>>has been on for a couple of days, but the OBC tells me I can drive
>>another 39 km. I figured the car knows what it's talking about so I
>>don't worry about it. However, just a couple of minutes later the car
>>starts running rough. Realizing that I'm out of gas I try to drive to a
>>local gas station. I almost make it, the car stalled just about a block
>>away with the OBC telling me I can go another 37 km?! WTF, that's 25
>>miles, yet the car *is* really, positively, out of gas. Is the fuel
>>range figure calculated including how far you're able to push the car in
>>an emergency too, or what? Anyway, so I call a friend as I'm parked by
>>the curb. Adding insult to injury a E28 driver gives me a ****ed look
>>and gestures as if I'm in his way or something, yet non of the other
>>vehicles passing me where having a problem. Too bad he didn't stop
>>though, I could have told him a couple of things...

> I take it you're not a rocket scientist?

Is that a requirement owning a BMW?

Ulf
Old June 30th 05, 07:46 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
> > Your car is probably bent in half from dragging that damn trailer, and

the
> > last gallon of gas is stuck where the sending unit can see it, but the
> > pick-up can't get at it. <hehehe>

> Nah, my car is fine. Ready to pull another trailer... :-)
>

> > The Low Fuel light seems to be working right to me, you ignored it's

warning
> > and now it is explaining why you are walking. If it said that you sitll

had
> > 100 miles remaining, then I'd wonder what's up, but you got down to

within
> > the last gallon of gas remaining.

> Well, I think that if the OBC is unable to correctly calculate the
> distance it should err on the safe side, and not overestimate it.

It probably worked fine when the car was new, but it't getting on in years,
and there was trouble with the gas a couple of years ago that made fuel
level sending units go haywire. I don't remember where you live, but the bad
gas was all over the southeast and up the eastern seaboard. It would be nice
to have a device that knew precisely how much fuel remained, but there are
just too many variables to deal with, and time is among them.