Cam Shaft & piston damage 96 SL1

Old June 11th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NF

Default Cam Shaft & piston damage 96 SL1

I started hearing a clicking sound from the engine, local mechanic tells me the
cam shaft has evidence of damage and the pistons as well. He can replace the
engine for $1500, which seems insane for an 11 year old car.

I'm shopping around, but I wonder if it's time to junk it. I have 83k on it.

I'm willing to go up to a $1000 for the repair if I have to..

Old June 11th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Gyzmologist

Did this mechanic come to this conclusion after pulling the head? If not
then this diagnosis is purely a rectal extraction. The clicking sound is
probably just the cam timing chain telling you it needs to be replaced.
How many miles are on this car?

Gyz

Old June 11th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On 11 Jun 2007 08:31:16 -0700, NF > wrote:

>I started hearing a clicking sound from the engine, local mechanic tells me the
>cam shaft has evidence of damage and the pistons as well. He can replace the
>engine for $1500, which seems insane for an 11 year old car.
>
>I'm shopping around, but I wonder if it's time to junk it. I have 83k on it.
>
>I'm willing to go up to a $1000 for the repair if I have to..

You may be hearing a worn/loose timing chain but they usually last
longer than this. They can get pretty noisy and if the break or jump
time it will destroy the engine because it is a interferance motor
(valve will hit pistons if cam gets out of time and it will not just
make noisy when that happens, it woill break something and stop
running. Time to talk to another mech.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old June 13th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Sat2001[_2_]

On Jun 11, 6:08 pm, BläBlä
. s!rcre4p.c0m> wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>
> > Did this mechanic come to this conclusion after pulling the head? If not
> > then this diagnosis is purely a rectal extraction. The clicking sound is
> > probably just the cam timing chain telling you it needs to be replaced.
> > How many miles are on this car?

> > Gyz

> > NF wrote:
> > > I started hearing a clicking sound from the engine, local mechanic tells me the
> > > cam shaft has evidence of damage and the pistons as well. He can replace the
> > > engine for $1500, which seems insane for an 11 year old car.

> > > I'm shopping around, but I wonder if it's time to junk it. I have 83k on it.

> > > I'm willing to go up to a $1000 for the repair if I have to..

> 84k is not a lot of miles for its age. Its possible the timing chain
> tensioner got stuck at some point or backed off and allowed the valves
> and pistons to touch. Just like terminal cancer, get a second opinion.

This sounds like what I'm being told. I drove my 2001 L200 to run an
errand last Saturday morning and when I came out to start the car it
just cranked but sounds like its just spinning. Sputters a little but
no attempt to start. Towed it to the mechanic and they are telling me
no compression in at least 2 cylinders. Said they looked at the
timing chain but it looks intact, maybe 1 tooth missing but otherwise
it was okay. They did mention the tensioner may have had a problem
and without pulling everything and really tearing into it and running
up the bill that they can't tell what is causing such a loss of
compression.
I'm going crazy, I just went on a short trip 3 weeks ago, 32 mpg and
smooth. The only thing I've noticed was what seemed to be a loss of
power when accelerating last Thursday and Friday, so I decided to to
work on it Saturday, but it died before I even got a chance to check
it. I replaced the fuel filter and crank sensor to see if it would
help but no good.
Is my mechanic feeding me crap?
I can't believe a car can go from running great to dead like that
without any other symptoms first.
Thanks for any input.

Steve

Old June 13th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NF

Luckily, the car is still running (so far), I am in the process of getting a
second opinion

In article .com>, Sat2001
says...

Old June 13th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve B.

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:50:34 -0700, Sat2001 >
wrote:

>Is my mechanic feeding me crap?
>I can't believe a car can go from running great to dead like that
>without any other symptoms first.
>Thanks for any input.
>
>Steve

Your mechanic said there is no compression in two cylinders. How in
the heck do you expect someone here to know if that is true or not? I
don't understand why you can't believe it could break without other
symptoms. Cars break everyday without advance warning. If I were to
guess I would say that the timing chain skipped but you would be much
better off trusting a mechanic that is standing there looking at it
than some guy hundreds of miles away with a cold beer in one hand and
a cigarette in the other.

Steve B.
Old June 14th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
David

"NF" > wrote in message
> I started hearing a clicking sound from the engine, local mechanic tells

me the
> cam shaft has evidence of damage and the pistons as well. He can replace

the
> engine for $1500, which seems insane for an 11 year old car.
>
> I'm shopping around, but I wonder if it's time to junk it. I have 83k on

it.

> I'm willing to go up to a $1000 for the repair if I have to..

The timing chain should last more than 300,000 km. Haven't changed one
since the sixties! Our cars had 300,000km 277,000km, 195,006km 177,000, and
159,00 on them; the timing chains gave any problems.
Did you ever change the oil?? Dirty oil will trash the chains real quick.

Good luck,
David

Old June 14th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NF

I just had the oil changed and an inspection 2 weeks ago, from the same
mechanic. My paranoia radar is ringing...

In article >, David says...

Old June 20th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NF

Well, 2nd mechanic popped the top of the engine and confirmed. He thinks it may
have been runnning awhile with no oil pressue (though I get regular oil changes
and never got a warning light). Pretty much told me that since the car is
running, it should last awhile and that the noise sounds worse than it is.

Time to go car shopping. Will I get another Saturn...hard to say right now...

the Honda fit is looking good...

Brake piston gator ? Richard[_2_] Audi 1 November 12th 06 11:11 PM
Piston question..... Brian \Grimace\ H. VW air cooled 5 September 15th 06 08:35 AM
why only piston cylinder engines....... jas Technology 18 May 13th 06 03:34 PM
Piston Tops TerryB VW air cooled 4 July 8th 05 03:53 AM
Knurling a piston ??????? John M. Wright 4x4 3 November 27th 04 02:28 PM