Coolant Loss

Old June 21st 04, 10:55 AM
handi_andis

Default Coolant Loss

Ok here goes the tale. I recently noticed that my 1996 Audi A4 110bhp TDI
was loosing coolant fluid. On inspeciton I foudn that it seemed to be
boiling off at the top hose to the radiator was too hot to touch, but the
radiator was cold. Having searched the net I replaced the expansion cap as
a starting point but no change. These weekend I replaced the thermostat
anf things have changed a little. Instead of the temperature gauge
sticking like glue to 90degrees it now goes up when I accelerate hard but
then after a while returns to 90. The radiator is hot across the top and
this morning after a 60 mile run was warm in other places too. With the
engine hot and running I have tried to hold shut the top line to the
radiator after the T to the expansion tank in the hope of seeing water
puped into tank to confirm water pump is working but to no avail. Should I
go ahead and replace water pump of does anyone else have any bright ideas,
for reference the system seems to hold pressure once the car has cooled
down as when I open expansion tank it goes psss and level rises in tank,
plus oil is black with no milky streaks.

Any ideas would be well and truly welcome.

Thanks

Andrew

PS Does anyone also know how to stop water accumulating in batery tray?

Coolant Leak: Alfa 87 Graduate KStone Alfa Romeo 1 August 23rd 04 06:46 AM
Coolant level going down very slowly Jorge Fonyat Audi 8 June 11th 04 01:15 AM
Coolant leak help... Quattro Audi 3 June 7th 04 10:24 PM
Loss of Power Whilst Towing Caravan Stuart Thomson Audi 6 June 1st 04 09:46 PM
Power loss at 4000 rpm GTV 2.0L steve Alfa Romeo 1 May 9th 04 07:36 AM