limited slip rear

Old November 24th 04, 12:05 AM
damnnickname

Default limited slip rear

I have a 67 mustang not sure about the rear but it has the 289 auto trans,
what would i need to do/replace to make this rear a limited slip unit> i
work or chrysler dodge products, they are just a matter of removeing the
carrier and installing a limited slip one

Old November 24th 04, 03:07 AM
boB

damnnickname wrote:

> I have a 67 mustang not sure about the rear but it has the 289 auto trans,
> what would i need to do/replace to make this rear a limited slip unit> i
> work or chrysler dodge products, they are just a matter of removeing the
> carrier and installing a limited slip one

You probably have an 8" rear. Fortunatly, the 8" is just like the
9", only smaller. The center section is easily removable. A rebuilt
trac-loc 8" center section goes for about $1,000'ish. Then it's a
simple matter of pulling one out, and installing the other.
Mine needs a rebuild in a bad way. It's cheaper to take it to a
local diff shop and have him rebuild it. For about $650, he will
rebuild the center section (with trac-loc), new gears, new axle bearings
and seals, and clean out the housing.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old November 24th 04, 03:33 AM
Spike

There is also a drop in unit available. Check the Mustangsplus
www.mustangsplus.com or Summit www.summitracing.com websites.... Not
sure about all the steps involved, but there was a car show on Speed
Channel while I was kicking back with a cup of coffee and that's what
they installed in a classic Mustang. What I saw and what they said
made it seem a pretty simple one man job. Slide axles out a bit, drop
out the gears, etc, pop in the new unit, slide axles back in put the
cover back on refill the case. then go lay down twin patches of
rubber.... The unit runs in the neighborhood, as I recall, about
$685.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:05:36 -0500, "damnnickname"
> wrote:

>I have a 67 mustang not sure about the rear but it has the 289 auto trans,
>what would i need to do/replace to make this rear a limited slip unit> i
>work or chrysler dodge products, they are just a matter of removeing the
>carrier and installing a limited slip one

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old November 24th 04, 06:51 AM
Mark

Or, if you're lucky, find one in the local salvage yards. Check mustang 2s,
mavericks, comets. I found a couple of posi units this way. Don't forget to
add friction modifyer to the new gear oil.
Mark

Old November 25th 04, 01:56 AM
Big Al

"damnnickname" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I have a 67 mustang not sure about the rear but it has the 289 auto trans,
> what would i need to do/replace to make this rear a limited slip unit> i
> work or chrysler dodge products, they are just a matter of removeing the
> carrier and installing a limited slip one

Yes, but it's not just a drop in. You still have to set the ring gear and do
the bearing preload. Any idea what rear end is in the car? Look he
http://www.quickperformance.com/ninecase.htm

Al

Old November 25th 04, 03:56 AM
Chip Stein

> > There is also a drop in unit available. Check the Mustangsplus
> > www.mustangsplus.com or Summit www.summitracing.com websites.... Not
> > sure about all the steps involved, but there was a car show on Speed
> > Channel while I was kicking back with a cup of coffee and that's what
> > they installed in a classic Mustang. What I saw and what they said
> > made it seem a pretty simple one man job. Slide axles out a bit, drop
> > out the gears, etc, pop in the new unit, slide axles back in put the
> > cover back on refill the case. then go lay down twin patches of
> > rubber.... The unit runs in the neighborhood, as I recall, about
> > $685.

you can't just stick it in there and go. the backlash and pinion
depth have to be set. unless you like noisy rears you have to buy
gears for every year.
Chip
Old November 25th 04, 04:53 PM
Spike

As I said, I was just kickin' back with a cup o' coffee and caught
this upgrade in progress. I'm sure the instructions include additional
information. Still, the discussion by the two guys on the show
indicated a rather easy upgrade.

Old November 27th 04, 05:58 AM
Jim Warman

The two guys on the show are getting paid to put on a show. You never ever
see them have any sidesteps in a repair or modification. Take a deep breath
and smell the coffee..... auto repairs go sideways - quickly and silently -
especially when (in a pros case, anyway) the repair needs to be right the
first time around.

What these shows seldom indicate is the need for a certain amount of
experience and expertise..... but who am I to say. Knock yerself out.... if
you watch them shows with the spotless tile floors they might even start
saying you can do it all with Fischer-Price tools.

Old November 27th 04, 06:34 AM
Spike

Easy thar, hoss.... I described what I saw of the show, and I believe
I made it plain that I didn't see the whole thing... I was just taking
a coffee break.

I've learned the hard way... trial and error... as my garage floor
will attest. Thank heaven for kitty litter.

The parts catalogs do the same thing as those shows... "with kit X you
can do this in a couple of hours.." I wish. But the sponsors get
satisfied, the parts get sold....

But, as far as this particular job goes... it "appeared" easier than
some things I have personally done.. like rebuild an engine, or a
carb. Heck, the first time I did a new water pump install wasn't a
piece of cake. And the brake job I did on an MG Midget was a
nightmare, solved by a shop in 10 minutes. But then they knew there
was a slave cylinder inside the tranny tunnel.

I'm not deluded about any of it. I always figure it's going to take a
lot more than they want me to believe. And when it doesn't... either I
am relieved, or worried... but without those extra parts it runs
better... LOL

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 04:58:29 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>The two guys on the show are getting paid to put on a show. You never ever
>see them have any sidesteps in a repair or modification. Take a deep breath
>and smell the coffee..... auto repairs go sideways - quickly and silently -
>especially when (in a pros case, anyway) the repair needs to be right the
>first time around.
>
>What these shows seldom indicate is the need for a certain amount of
>experience and expertise..... but who am I to say. Knock yerself out.... if
>you watch them shows with the spotless tile floors they might even start
>saying you can do it all with Fischer-Price tools.

.. .

Old November 27th 04, 07:11 AM
Jim Warman

Setting up a differential can be one of the most frustrating things you
could ever plan on doing. One undocumented change will have you lost in
pattern lala land... doing things absolutely right can leave you with a
noise. I still haven't figured out how DIers achieve the correct sidebearing
preload and backlash. For those in doubt, look around at those still trying
to recover from what the previous owner has done....

TV shows are only there for entertainment value.... there's not much
entertainment in auto repair...

"Spike" > wrote in message
> Easy thar, hoss.... I described what I saw of the show, and I believe
> I made it plain that I didn't see the whole thing... I was just taking
> a coffee break.
>
> I've learned the hard way... trial and error... as my garage floor
> will attest. Thank heaven for kitty litter.
>
> The parts catalogs do the same thing as those shows... "with kit X you
> can do this in a couple of hours.." I wish. But the sponsors get
> satisfied, the parts get sold....
>
> But, as far as this particular job goes... it "appeared" easier than
> some things I have personally done.. like rebuild an engine, or a
> carb. Heck, the first time I did a new water pump install wasn't a
> piece of cake. And the brake job I did on an MG Midget was a
> nightmare, solved by a shop in 10 minutes. But then they knew there
> was a slave cylinder inside the tranny tunnel.
>
> I'm not deluded about any of it. I always figure it's going to take a
> lot more than they want me to believe. And when it doesn't... either I
> am relieved, or worried... but without those extra parts it runs
> better... LOL
>
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 04:58:29 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> > wrote:
>
>>The two guys on the show are getting paid to put on a show. You never ever
>>see them have any sidesteps in a repair or modification. Take a deep
>>breath
>>and smell the coffee..... auto repairs go sideways - quickly and
>>silently -
>>especially when (in a pros case, anyway) the repair needs to be right the
>>first time around.
>>
>>What these shows seldom indicate is the need for a certain amount of
>>experience and expertise..... but who am I to say. Knock yerself out....
>>if
>>you watch them shows with the spotless tile floors they might even start
>>saying you can do it all with Fischer-Price tools.

. ..