Looking at a used 01 Jetta TDI.

Old February 28th 05, 03:24 AM
Rob

Default Looking at a used 01 Jetta TDI.

Hello, I'm looking at buying a used 01 Jetta auto that a guy has for sale.
It has 65,000 miles on it and is in nice shape. I plan to test drive it
sometime time next week and was looking for any good or bad things to look
for. He said the timing belt has not been changed yet, so what does this
cost and could I do it my self with the right tool. What kind of milage are
people getting with the TDI auto's. Thanks for any advice, Rob.

Old February 28th 05, 03:55 AM
Woodchuck

If you buy it make him replace the TB. Or figure about 5 hours labor + the
belt + the tensioner. Also would be a good idea to have the VW dealer do a
quality/safety check to see what they find.

Old February 28th 05, 04:37 AM
Rob Guenther

5.9-6.3L per 100kms combination driving fair weather
6.9-7.4L per 100kms combination driving in winter
5.2-5.8L per 100kms highway driving in fair weather
6.3-6.7L per 100kms highway driving in winter

Sunoco Gold Diesel, Howes diesel fuel additive, PSI tuning box installed on
engine (doesn't affect fuel economy unless I lay onto the throttle a lot)

1999.5 Golf TDI, 4 speed Auto.

Automatic cars have a 60K Kms timing belt service (at least on 99.5's)....
get him to do it!!... and get the waterpump done while its in the shop.

Old February 28th 05, 12:22 PM
Erik Dillenkofer

About $700.00 for the timing belt, and you don't want to even attempt it yourself. You'll need almost that much in special tools and
if you're off by as much as 1 tooth and turn the engine, it's history. Diesels are interference engines and there's no room for
error. Once the belt is changed you'd need to connect it to a VAG-com (computer) and set the injection timing. A VAG-com will set
you back another $200.00. Automatics get timing belts replaced every 40,000 miles ... manual trans every 60,000 miles.

You might want to look here for more info www.tdiclub.com

Old February 28th 05, 07:58 PM
Rob

Wow! that much. That's a big disappointment on the timing belt change.
Anybody here on this site own a TDI auto and think it's still worth test
driving. If the maintance is going to run that high it seems like the fuel
savings would be eaten into pretty fast over time.

Old March 1st 05, 03:16 AM
Rob Guenther

Pretty much... Old style tensioners on the automatic cars have no savings
when you factor in maintenance vs savings in fuel consumption.

The diesels drive nicer then the 2.0L's IMHO tho...

Old March 1st 05, 03:45 AM
Mike Beede

In article >,
"Woodchuck" > wrote:

> If you buy it make him replace the TB. Or figure about 5 hours labor + the
> belt + the tensioner. Also would be a good idea to have the VW dealer do a
> quality/safety check to see what they find.

The new style tensioner allows for I think an 85000 mile
replacement life.

Mike Beede