New TT "Sport" model...

Old February 24th 05, 08:45 AM
Steven Grauman

Default New TT "Sport" model...

According to the article at VW Vortex
(http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1212.shtml)
Audi will be releasing a lighter weight TT, powered by a 240 horsepower
version of the 1.8T, and capable of a 5.9 second 0-60 run. Although
this is certainly an appealing idea, it isn't as interesting as it
might be considering the fairly recent existence of the TT 3.2, which
also tests with a 0-60 time of around 5.9 seconds, and doesn't exhibit
any turbo lag. I'm a little curious as to why this model is being
produced? If anyone has any insight, I'd like to hear it, because with
the 3.2 avaliable, the possibility of "chiiping" the less expensive 225
model and the avaliability of the $29,000 R32, I'm not sure that this
model makes any sense.

Old February 24th 05, 02:50 PM
Mike Whiteman

Maybe it has an available manual 6 speed unlike the VR6 TT (in north
america).

oups.com...

Old February 24th 05, 05:27 PM
Hairy One Kenobi

"Mike Whiteman" > wrote in message
> "Steven Grauman" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > According to the article at VW Vortex
> > (http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1212.shtml)
> > Audi will be releasing a lighter weight TT, powered by a 240 horsepower
> > version of the 1.8T, and capable of a 5.9 second 0-60 run. Although
> > this is certainly an appealing idea, it isn't as interesting as it
> > might be considering the fairly recent existence of the TT 3.2, which
> > also tests with a 0-60 time of around 5.9 seconds, and doesn't exhibit
> > any turbo lag. I'm a little curious as to why this model is being
> > produced? If anyone has any insight, I'd like to hear it, because with
> > the 3.2 avaliable, the possibility of "chiiping" the less expensive 225
> > model and the avaliability of the $29,000 R32, I'm not sure that this
> > model makes any sense.

> Maybe it has an available manual 6 speed unlike the VR6 TT (in north
> america).

AFAIK the VR6 isn't available in manual anywhere that I'm aware of. Despite
what the same article says.. a bit puzzling, that.

This is probably the reason for trying to launch a "proper" S variant (as
Porsche et al have already done) The state of tune is still pretty mild -
it's the 75kg (5% or so) weight reduction that produces most of the
performance gains. You can bet that it doesn't come with a spare tyre,
either!

About the most puzzling thing is why they painted it to look like a Citroen
Pluriel..?

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Old February 25th 05, 05:09 AM
+ Rob +

"Steven Grauman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> According to the article at VW Vortex
> (http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1212.shtml)
> Audi will be releasing a lighter weight TT, powered by a 240 horsepower
> version of the 1.8T, and capable of a 5.9 second 0-60 run. Although
> this is certainly an appealing idea, it isn't as interesting as it
> might be considering the fairly recent existence of the TT 3.2, which
> also tests with a 0-60 time of around 5.9 seconds, and doesn't exhibit
> any turbo lag. I'm a little curious as to why this model is being
> produced? If anyone has any insight, I'd like to hear it, because with
> the 3.2 avaliable, the possibility of "chiiping" the less expensive 225
> model and the avaliability of the $29,000 R32, I'm not sure that this
> model makes any sense.

This model seems utterly pointless, given the almost non-existent
performance gains and further reduced utility (no "cargo shelf" rear seat or
spare wheel).

Rob
2005 TT 3.2 DSG (bought a $650 "spare" after a broken wheel left me stranded
500 miles from home on Xmas eve)
2002 A4 3.0Q

Old February 25th 05, 05:40 PM
Andy Turner

On 23 Feb 2005 23:45:01 -0800, "Steven Grauman" >
wrote:

>According to the article at VW Vortex
>(http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1212.shtml)

"At Audi, TT stands for undiluted driving pleasure"

Must be a translation thing...

andyt