164 Fuel Starvation Problem???

Old May 29th 04, 02:50 PM
JW

Default 164 Fuel Starvation Problem???

Hello Everyone,

Have a problem which I think may be related to fuel starvation and wondered
if anyone else has had experience of a similar nature.

Occasionally over the last few weeks I have been getting occasional loss of
power for a few seconds only at a time. It may occur perhaps once every
couple of days. At first I thought it was dirty fuel.

The problem appears to occur after some brisk acceleration when the power
has been lifted off and then reapplied firmly.

Today the car came to a complete halt and would not restart for sometime.

Any ideas? Not quite sure where to start looking.

Many thanks - Jeff.

164 Super 3.0 V6 24v

Old May 30th 04, 11:00 PM
Craig

Sounds like the throttle potentiometer, run the onboard self
diagnostics and see what comes up.
Craig

Old May 31st 04, 11:50 AM
JW

Hello everyone and thank all for your helpful ideas.

This is a very strange one!

I wrote to the group when the problem was at its worst.

The problem now seems to have corrected itself. And. I hope it does not come
back.

I had been deliberately keeping the tank lower than usual this past week -
expecting to have to take the tank off for an inspection of the pump this
week when I have some time off. The fuel filter was replaced several months
ago at a hint of the same problem.

I do not know the construction of the tank and therefore cannot be sure, but
I suspect when low on fuel and with some driving with verve some air may
have got into the fuel line/system.

The previous owner had assured me that he normally managed to drive with no
problem from full to near empty with no problem. Me - I think will keep it
above 1/8th from now on, unless on a very flat road with no bends on it.

Yesterday, I filled the tank to the top and took the car along some nice
sweeping roads - making good progress without a hint of a problem.

Once again may I thank you all and hope those that read this will benefit
from my experiences.

Bye for now - Jeff.