1994 explorer

Old November 2nd 04, 04:37 PM
Happy Father

Default 1994 explorer

my truck is having electrical problems.

i think i have tracked it down to the positive terminal that runs from the
battry. this terminal has three leads, 2 are 4 guage one runs to the
solinoid and the other to the starter, the 12 guage wire runs from the
solinoid down to the starter.

one of the wires looks burnt.

the problme is when starting the truck it cranks once then has trouble
starting and once it does the the electrical guage on the dash bounces
around for a minute then returns to the nornal charging range. i have had
the battery checked and replaced the alternator.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also how do i get to the starter?

Im about to replace the terminal but if that doesnt do it i would like any
suggestions?

Old November 2nd 04, 09:57 PM
Ulysses

My positive cable completely fell apart. I also replaced the starter motor
(had 260,000 miles on it). You get to the starter motor by crawling
underneath. It has two bolts (one is a stud) and are removed with a 13mm
wrench. One small wire unplugs and the other big wire has a nut (also 13mm)
holding it on. It's easier to remove the wires first then unscrew the
motor.

If your undercarriage is muddy I suggest hosing it off real good before
removing the starter motor otherwise you'll get dirt in your eyes.

Why did you replace the alternator? Because the voltage meter was jumping?

Old September 9th 05, 06:50 AM
nashjeff

Ulysses or Happy Father please! Glad Dad and I both experience similar
problems! I have solved the problem aesthetically, by unblocking a "hack
job lectrick tape" plug in the extra port on the vaccum tree in or around
the right valve cover. My needle stood still until I temporarily
re-blocked the small forward-facing port. It idles perfectly. The large
amount of air input makes me cautious about driving the vehicle until
solved completely. 91 4Liter v6 4D PW PL PS AC CC 4WD Thank you
forwardly,
Jeff