Size of lock nut of front hub? Where to get it?

Old September 13th 04, 06:09 AM
Tingfang Ji

Default Size of lock nut of front hub? Where to get it?

I broke a lug on the front wheel when I tried to loosen the lug nut.
To replace the lug/hub, I started disassemble the front hub. Now I am
stuck by the lock nut of the front hub. I tried the largest socket
(27mm) and it still won't fit.

What's the size of the lock nut?
Where to get a new lock nut?
After I take off the old hub, should I change the hub or ask a garage
to replace the broken lug? Which is more expensive?

Appreciate your advice

Tingfang
Old September 13th 04, 05:45 PM
Iva

Tingfang Ji wrote:
> I broke a lug on the front wheel when I tried to loosen the lug

nut.
> To replace the lug/hub, I started disassemble the front hub.

Now I am
> stuck by the lock nut of the front hub. I tried the largest

socket
> (27mm) and it still won't fit.
>
> What's the size of the lock nut?
> Where to get a new lock nut?
> After I take off the old hub, should I change the hub or ask a

garage
> to replace the broken lug? Which is more expensive?

That nut is 29mm according to the Enthusiasts Manual - and you
need to straighten out the staked area where it's in a groove on
the stub axle first. Also according to the EM, it's difficult to
find a 29mm and they used a 1-1/8 in AF socket. They also used
3/4" drive equipment and a breaker bar to loosen the nut because
it's supposed to be torqued to 123-159lbf ft during assembly.

The lug nuts are pressed into the hub so if you don't have access
to a press, you might want someone else to do the work for you.

--
Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old September 14th 04, 01:06 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Iva" > wrote:

>Tingfang Ji wrote:
>> I broke a lug on the front wheel when I tried to loosen the lug

>nut.
>> To replace the lug/hub, I started disassemble the front hub.

>Now I am
>> stuck by the lock nut of the front hub. I tried the largest

>socket
>> (27mm) and it still won't fit.
>>
>> What's the size of the lock nut?
>> Where to get a new lock nut?
>> After I take off the old hub, should I change the hub or ask a

>garage
>> to replace the broken lug? Which is more expensive?

>That nut is 29mm according to the Enthusiasts Manual - and you
>need to straighten out the staked area where it's in a groove on
>the stub axle first. Also according to the EM, it's difficult to
>find a 29mm

Walk in Sears. Point to 29 mm socket in glass case. Wait for key
of glass case to be found. Pay considerable money for single
socket used three times, if that, in life.

Of course, the writers of EM live in GB, where they still divide
their feet into twelve inches, which is both very stupid and really
painful for walking, after which the torturers divide each piece
into two 1/2", and those into four 1/4", and so on at nauseam, until
they reach 1/32, of which the latter half can then be used to
provide a logical temperature for freezing, and if you jump back and
forward between the ends you find a logical temperature for boiling
as 212. After which the British happily retire to their pub, which
closes at 11, because that is what you get if you forget to jump the
next time, to think up new numbers.

Leon

Yes, I said "after", not "before".

> and they used a 1-1/8 in AF socket. They also used
>3/4" drive equipment and a breaker bar to loosen the nut because
>it's supposed to be torqued to 123-159lbf ft during assembly.
>
>The lug nuts are pressed into the hub so if you don't have access
>to a press, you might want someone else to do the work for you.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 14th 04, 06:53 PM
Tingfang Ji

Iva,

Thanks for the tip. As you pointed out, the 29mm socket can't be found
in autozone (didn't know sears have it until now). So I bought the
1-1/8" AF and it worked just fine. I used a 1/2" drive and a pipe to
get the lock nut off.

It's suprisingly easy to knock out the broken wheel stud and knock in
a new one. I couldn't find a new lock-nut for the front hub so I
simply put back the old one and notched the stake area again.

So the total cost to me for a broken wheel stud is about $2.00 + the
huge 1-1/8" socket that I'll probably never use again Can't imagine
how much I'll be charged if I get a tow truck and get it fixed in a
garage.

Appreciate your help.

TJ

Old September 18th 04, 09:32 PM
Gus

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
news
> After which the British happily retire to their pub, which
> closes at 11, because that is what you get if you forget to jump the
> next time, to think up new numbers.

I read some where that the Brits are considering extending the hours of the
pubs until 2 or so in the morning to reduce the last minute binge drinking
at closing time. It said something about too many young drivers having a
last pint before leaving the pub. Don't ask me why they think less of them
will be doing this at 2 in the morning. Might be better to simply require
young drivers to drive British sports cars that won't start most of the time
any way. The drunk ones will either sleep it off in the car or stumble their
way home.

Gus (91 BRG)

Old September 19th 04, 02:11 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Gus" > wrote:

>"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
>news
>> After which the British happily retire to their pub, which
>> closes at 11, because that is what you get if you forget to jump the
>> next time, to think up new numbers.
>>

>I read some where that the Brits are considering extending the hours of the
>pubs until 2 or so in the morning to reduce the last minute binge drinking
>at closing time. It said something about too many young drivers having a
>last pint before leaving the pub. Don't ask me why they think less of them
>will be doing this at 2 in the morning.

Maybe based on experiences in the rest of Europe?

> Might be better to simply require
>young drivers to drive British sports cars that won't start most of the time
>any way. The drunk ones will either sleep it off in the car or stumble their
>way home.

Sounds like a good idea to me. They will have a chance to live and
design more car electrics the next day. Even more lives saved!

Leon