Bad Drivers

Old July 15th 05, 05:49 PM
Kyle Tucker

In article >,
Dave LaCourse > writes:

> In other words they are saying, "I will select your speed limit."
> Never escalate. Never impede. If I am traveling in the fast lane, it
> is because I am passing someone, or I am in a line of traffic. When I
> pass someone, I pull into the right (or center) lane, especially if
> there is someone behind me. He wants to go faster -- who am I to deny
> him? Left lane bandits are more dangerous than speeders - not as
> dangerous as tailgaters, but right up there with causes for accidents.

I drive south on Rt. 95 from NH to MA every morning. The 3rd lane
of 4 is filled with clueless dopes going 55-60, sometimes even less,
who aren't passing anyone, they're just forcing others to clog up
the 4th lane. 90% of these people are from Maine, where their own
Maine Turnpike has signs to keep right. I use headlights, horn
and/or quick French-style lane returns after passing in an effort
to get them to see they're in the wrong lane. 1 in an 50 will move
over.

It's our own home-grown problem and here's an example. A couple
months ago, I pick up my son from driver's ed class. Next to me
is a guy apparently picking up his son. The son hops in the SUV,
neither one is buckled up. The dog is on the the driver's lap.
Leaving, no turn signals are used and he just whips through a
stop sign. Good example Dad! And I see cops breaking common rules
almost daily. How the hell is the average Joe supposed to drive
well?

I've driven in Germany, France, Austria and Switzerland and
all over the US. We just suck when it comes to driving. I think
a lot of it is the "it's a free country, I'll do what I want"
attitude. The rest is just ignorance of what's going on around
them. Very lame.

Glad I didn't get started about cell phones....

--
- Kyle
Old July 15th 05, 06:18 PM
Jay Jones

Left lane cruising is epidemic here in Louisiana-- it should be a capital
offense, IMHO...
I often dream of the traffic laws here changing to favor the German standard
where rear-ended collisions in the left lane of the expressway are the
person in front's fault for not getting out of the damn way!

Old July 15th 05, 06:36 PM
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:49:39 +0000 (UTC), (Kyle
Tucker) wrote:

>Glad I didn't get started about cell phones....

d;o) Yes. Let us not venture into that hornet's nest.

Son's taking driver's ed, eh? Do him and his mom a favor and enroll
him in the Stevens Advanced Driver Training, aka Skid School. Their
site is
www.msada.org. School is half day, typically 16 students
with four new Volvos. Cost is $300, with Mass Auto Dealers Assoc.
picking up $150.

They emphasize abs braking (and non-abs braking to those who want it),
car handling (starting with proper seating and hands positions),
emergency reaction, tailgating, and the dangers of backing-up. Great
school. I used to work for Stevens when he taught cops (VT, Md, MA)
and if I sponsor a kid, he will use me as a demonstrations driver for
the kids' parents.

Dave

Old July 15th 05, 06:46 PM
Peter Bell

In message <EdSBe.37971$up5.37529@lakeread02>
"Jay Jones" > wrote:

> Left lane cruising is epidemic here in Louisiana

.... whereas right lane cruising causes us a problem in the UK.

I wonder what would happen if we sent all our right lane cruisers over
to you and you sent your left lane cruisers here?

Old July 15th 05, 06:47 PM
Kyle Tucker

In article >,
Dave LaCourse > writes:

> Son's taking driver's ed, eh? Do him and his mom a favor and enroll
> him in the Stevens Advanced Driver Training, aka Skid School. Their
> site is www.msada.org. School is half day, typically 16 students
> with four new Volvos. Cost is $300, with Mass Auto Dealers Assoc.
> picking up $150.

Well he's had his license for a few months now, but we are real
ball-busters about driving correctly *and* wearing seatbelts.
I read about this course in the Globe's Automobile section one
week. According to the website's schedule notes, it's only open
to residents of certain Massachusetts towns listed, depending on
which session.

--
- Kyle
Old July 15th 05, 06:47 PM
Guy King

The message >
from Dave LaCourse > contains these words:

http://www.newscientist.com/article....mg18725083.200

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Old July 15th 05, 08:42 PM
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:46:00 +0100, Peter Bell >
wrote:

>I wonder what would happen if we sent all our right lane cruisers over
>to you and you sent your left lane cruisers here?

Ever heard of reverse polarity, Peter? Your rightlaners would love
our left lanes. d;o)

Old July 15th 05, 09:17 PM
Guy King

The message >
from Peter Bell > contains these words:

> > Left lane cruising is epidemic here in Louisiana

> .... whereas right lane cruising causes us a problem in the UK.

> I wonder what would happen if we sent all our right lane cruisers over
> to you and you sent your left lane cruisers here?

They'd all form a concretion along the central reservation, which I
think you call the median strip.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

The Nation's Worst Drivers [email protected] Ford Mustang 22 May 31st 05 01:56 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
SUV drivers MidnightDad Driving 60 April 1st 05 08:03 PM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 01:37 AM
Truck Drivers Needed Trucking Recruiter 4x4 0 April 14th 04 01:33 PM