Dodge Problems

Old July 22nd 04, 04:57 AM
N8Dogg

Default Dodge Problems

I have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with a 360 5.9 liter. The other day my
GEN light came on and my voltage gauge is reading under 12 volts. I put a
new alternator in and it didn't seem to fix the problem. I took it to a
shop and that was just a screw job. they said I need to replace the
alternator and the starter. I tried the whole removing of the battery cable
and that killed the engine. I've heard that that trick doesn't work with
the newer stuff, but now I'm not sure. I just spent $200 on a alternator.
Can anyone help me? I don't want to take it to another shop, but I don't
know what else to do. Any info would be very helpful, thanks

Nathan Huber

Old July 22nd 04, 05:15 AM
55chevy210

sorry but it does sound to me like the new alternator is not good either.
can't they test it for you like Autozone does? It is true that you can
damage your computer by pulling the battery cables off while the engine is
running but if the engine also dies then I would suspect the alternator.
Heck, take it off again and bring it in to Autozone. They will check it for
you free.

Old July 22nd 04, 05:15 AM
55chevy210

Old July 22nd 04, 05:37 AM
N8Dogg

Thanks for the input, but I took the new one back to Murray's and they
tested it, and it tested good. My old one even tested good on their machine
so I got my money back and reinstalled it. That's when I took it into a
shop and they said my starter and the alternator. So I went to Pep Boys and
got another new one and still doing the same thing. That means it's
probably not the alternator.

Nate

Old July 22nd 04, 05:37 AM
N8Dogg

Old July 22nd 04, 06:41 AM
Jacob Suter

N8Dogg wrote:
> Thanks for the input, but I took the new one back to Murray's and they
> tested it, and it tested good. My old one even tested good on their machine
> so I got my money back and reinstalled it. That's when I took it into a
> shop and they said my starter and the alternator. So I went to Pep Boys and
> got another new one and still doing the same thing. That means it's
> probably not the alternator.

I'm not sure on your '97, but on my '99 1500/5.2 the alternator's field
current (alternators use an electromagnet to generate the magnetic field
the device needs to generate the current requirements to maintain the
desired charging voltage) is controlled by the computer. The wiring
between, or the computer itself may have failed.

Also I believe there is a "alt. field current" (or something similar)
fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Check to see if its blown - but I
may have this confused with my Exploder.

Also I believe there is a temperature sensor under the battery tray on
my '99. I believe that tells the computer the proper voltage to charge
the battery at (lead acid battery charge voltages vary from like 13.7v
to 14.9v depending on the electrolite temperature) and I have no idea
what the failure mode if this sensor fails.

Try doing the on-off-on-off-on-off-on (is that right?) to see if there
are any stored codes - I think there are some alternated-related codes
that will not throw the CEL.

Good luck,
JS

Old July 22nd 04, 06:41 AM
Jacob Suter

Old July 28th 04, 05:54 AM
N8Dogg

Finally bit the bullet and took it to a Dealer. Looks like there is an
Alternator Fuse that I couldn't find that went out. They had to order it,
and it'll be here tomorrow. Who knew that a fuse could cost $60? Anyway, I
hope that is all they find since they have to fix that to move forward.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Old July 28th 04, 05:54 AM
N8Dogg

Old August 19th 04, 03:07 AM
DudLee Brennfoerder

Tell them to keep the fuse,
and go to a real auto parts store (other than PB and AZ)
and buy one for $10.00

--
DudLee & Debbie
Brennfoerder