help exhaust glowing

Old September 7th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sihen

Default help exhaust glowing

HI everyone my misses just got back from the shop and says the car is
running
sluggish. Also loss of power and when i looked underneith because i
thought i could here
the exhaust blowing god damn the exhaust at the front end of the car is
glowing red hot is this normal i think not but can anyone tell us what
it could be.

gratefully yours
simon

Old September 7th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_103_]

sihen Wrote:
> HI everyone my misses just got back from the shop and says the car is
> running
> sluggish. Also loss of power and when i looked underneith because i
> thought i could here
> the exhaust blowing god damn the exhaust at the front end of the car is
> glowing red hot is this normal i think not but can anyone tell us what
> it could be.
>
> gratefully yours
> simon

Catalytic convertor or muffler's hogged up, exhaust can't get out...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 7th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ad absurdum per aspera

Holy night fighters looking for glowing exhaust stacks to find the
bombers! This is not normal unless an engine has been running very
hard for a long time. I am guessing that you may have roached a
turbocharger (if so equipped) or are running so horribly overrich that
a lot of fuel is actually burning within the exhaust manifold. I'd
actually consider having this one towed to a reputable mechanic.

Best of luck,
--Joe

Old September 8th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_104_]

Keep driving it like that, and you'll torch the exhast valves and head
gasket, if you don't catch something on fire first...

Tow truck time, if you're smart...

Old September 8th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_105_]

Ad absurdum per aspera Wrote:
> or are running so horribly overrich that
> a lot of fuel is actually burning within the exhaust manifold. I'd
> actually consider having this one towed to a reputable mechanic.

I have a problem with this...and I'm not trying to start a fight or
imply that you don't know what you are talking about...because you
obviously do...BUT..

A rich mixture cools combustion. It CAN make the area near the exhaust
port run somewhat hotter than normal due to continued burning after the
exhaust stroke IF...there is a supply of oxygen available to the hot
mixture inside the exhaust system.

This is usually not the case, however. It would happen sometimes on the
old early emissions control equipped motors that had active or passive
air injection into the manifolds...the idea being that any unburned
mixture would spontaneously reignite after being expelled from the
cylinder, saving the cat from having to deal with it if possible.

In the instance of an extemely rich condition, you would sometimes see
them with manifolds glowing hot, feeding afterburn with injected fresh
air... But in gereral (no more A.I.R. systems), if you want to see a
manifold turn red, an extremely LEAN mix is the way to go about it...a
lean mix ignites earlier, burns way hotter and is still hot leaving the
cylinder, and at the manifold you'll see temps as much as 300F hotter
than normal...hot enough to completely blue chrome on motorcycle pipes,
where an over rich mix will just tint them slightly gold, if it
discolors them at all...

I could demonstrate this to you if you lived near me, if you point a
infrared remote pyrometer at the turn where the pipe leaves the
cylinder on a bike, you'll see 500-600F on a well tuned bike, maybe
650-700F on one that runs rich, and as high as 900F on a lean running
motor...

Another thing...the cat. It gets hotter the more unburned fuel it has
to digest. At a certain point, it becomes too much, and it will begin
to overheat, glow, and the interior structures will begin to fall
apart, sometimes ending in a complete blockage with burn-through like I
believe this person is seeing...so if it turns out that is the case, it
would be wise to consider the car's state of tune and correct any
problem that might have led to this point...

Old September 8th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JustSayGo[_8_]

Unburned fuel in the exhaust will cause the exhaust to glow even without
AIR. Retarded timing or crossed plug wires will leave unburned fuel in
the exhaust. jeffcoslacker and his pyrometer are also accurate as far
as combustion temp and fuel ratio. What you have is a fire inside the
exhaust. AIR will make the exhaust even hotter becuase of fresh O2
supplied to the unburned fuel in the exhaust. After all, that is
exactly what AIR is designed to accomplish.

--
JustSayGo
JustSayGo's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=330014

Old September 8th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

jeffcoslacker > wrote in
:

> Another thing...the cat. It gets hotter the more unburned fuel it has
> to digest. At a certain point, it becomes too much, and it will begin
> to overheat, glow,

I once saw this exact thing on an '80s Lada Riva (Russian 4WD). It later
turned out the carb float had sunk and tons of fuel was being dumped into
the engine to the point that the engine eventually stalled and would not
restart.

By the time I got to see it, the cat was glowing literally orange and the
rubber hanger rings were on fire. Good thing there was snow beside the
road. By throwing snow at the cat, we were able to extinguish the fires
before the vehicle itself went up.

That was a night to remember, let me tell you.

--
TeGGeR®

Old September 8th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ed[_1_]

what are you using for fuel? are you adding any octane? That does that.

Old September 8th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_106_]

ed Wrote:
> what are you using for fuel? are you adding any octane? That does that.
>

> "JustSayGo" > wrote in message
> >
> > Unburned fuel in the exhaust will cause the exhaust to glow even

> without
> > AIR. Retarded timing or crossed plug wires will leave unburned fuel

> in
> > the exhaust. jeffcoslacker and his pyrometer are also accurate as far
> > as combustion temp and fuel ratio. What you have is a fire inside the
> > exhaust. AIR will make the exhaust even hotter becuase of fresh O2
> > supplied to the unburned fuel in the exhaust. After all, that is
> > exactly what AIR is designed to accomplish.
> >

> > --
> > JustSayGo

> > JustSayGo's Profile:
> > http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=330014
> > View this thread:
> > http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=616668
> >
> > http://www.automotiveforums.com

Whaaa?:screwy:

Old September 8th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

TeGGeR® wrote:

> I once saw this exact thing on an '80s Lada Riva (Russian 4WD).

> By the time I got to see it, the cat was glowing literally orange

When did Lada ever fit cats ?