Civic SI replacement?

Old October 3rd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dr Nick

Default Civic SI replacement?

Hello, a friedn of mine is looking for a new car, he was originally
interested in a VW GTI, I tried to turn him on the the Civic SI, problem is,
he can't (and doesn't want to) drive a standard (I'll never get some people,
hehe) the only advantage I can see the GTI having over the SI is the
optional automatic DSG tranny. What toher cars should i recommend to him
besides the GTI that can come with an auto tranny? he wants something sporty
so I don't think a regular civic would do it for him.

Old October 3rd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tww

"Dr Nick" > wrote in message
> Hello, a friedn of mine is looking for a new car, he was originally
> interested in a VW GTI, I tried to turn him on the the Civic SI, problem

is,
> he can't (and doesn't want to) drive a standard (I'll never get some

people,
> hehe) the only advantage I can see the GTI having over the SI is the
> optional automatic DSG tranny. What toher cars should i recommend to him
> besides the GTI that can come with an auto tranny? he wants something

sporty
> so I don't think a regular civic would do it for him.

Look for remaining RSX S at his local Acura dealer. From what I have seen
the price is about the same as the SI considering dealer markups and the
limited availability of the SI.

Old October 3rd 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tww

"Dr Nick" > wrote in message
> Hello, a friedn of mine is looking for a new car, he was originally
> interested in a VW GTI, I tried to turn him on the the Civic SI, problem

is,
> he can't (and doesn't want to) drive a standard (I'll never get some

people,
> hehe) the only advantage I can see the GTI having over the SI is the
> optional automatic DSG tranny. What toher cars should i recommend to him
> besides the GTI that can come with an auto tranny? he wants something

sporty
> so I don't think a regular civic would do it for him.

Sorry - did not take into account the auto requirement. So, the RSX
(without the S).

Old October 3rd 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR[_1_]

Dr Nick wrote:
> Hello, a friedn of mine is looking for a new car, he was originally
> interested in a VW GTI,

snip

IMHO, Civic doesn't have sufficient torque for sport with an automatic.

Can your friend afford a Nissan Z?

Old October 3rd 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

ACAR wrote:
> Dr Nick wrote:
>> Hello, a friedn of mine is looking for a new car, he was originally
>> interested in a VW GTI,

> snip
>
> IMHO, Civic doesn't have sufficient torque for sport with an automatic.

so what about the torque on the stick???? a motor doesn't suddenly drop
output depending on the transmission it's bolted up to.

Old October 4th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dr Nick

"Dr Nick" > wrote in message
> Hello, a friedn of mine is looking for a new car, he was originally
> interested in a VW GTI, I tried to turn him on the the Civic SI, problem
> is, he can't (and doesn't want to) drive a standard (I'll never get some
> people, hehe) the only advantage I can see the GTI having over the SI is
> the optional automatic DSG tranny. What toher cars should i recommend to
> him besides the GTI that can come with an auto tranny? he wants something
> sporty so I don't think a regular civic would do it for him.

thanks for the great suggestions.

I actually just told him to go test drive an Acura RSX, I didnt' even
realzie they were as cheap nas they are. might be worth it just for the
benefits of owning an acura (better warranty, maintence agreement etc)

the WRX is out of his price range, as well as the Nissan X (honestly I
wouldn't recommend a nissan, their quality has gone WAY down hill in my
opinion, I used to own a maxima)

Old October 4th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

Dr Nick wrote:

> I actually just told him to go test drive an Acura RSX, I didnt' even
> realzie they were as cheap nas they are. might be worth it just for the
> benefits of owning an acura (better warranty, maintence agreement etc)
>
> the WRX is out of his price range, as well as the Nissan X (honestly I
> wouldn't recommend a nissan, their quality has gone WAY down hill in my
> opinion, I used to own a maxima)

Toyota Scion tC may be another viable car if you can find one. The $20K
Scion uses a 2.4 L engine which should produce sufficient torque to
make an auto trans car a little sporty.

[All the Infiniti owners I know are pretty happy with their cars, esp.
the G35 which is built on the same platform as the Z.]

Old October 4th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

ACAR wrote:
> Dr Nick wrote:
>
>> I actually just told him to go test drive an Acura RSX, I didnt' even
>> realzie they were as cheap nas they are. might be worth it just for the
>> benefits of owning an acura (better warranty, maintence agreement etc)
>>
>> the WRX is out of his price range, as well as the Nissan X (honestly I
>> wouldn't recommend a nissan, their quality has gone WAY down hill in my
>> opinion, I used to own a maxima)

> Toyota Scion tC may be another viable car if you can find one. The $20K
> Scion uses a 2.4 L engine which should produce sufficient torque

eh? dude, what is it with you and this notion of torque and
automatics??? what problems have you experienced with automatics and on
what vehicles?