Didn't pay a ticket in NJ and now live in California (what can theydo)?

Old December 12th 12, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Tony Palermo

Default Didn't pay a ticket in NJ and now live in California (what can theydo)?

Two years ago, I got a ticket from NJ state troopers for pulling over on
the freeway (because my oil light was flickering).

The trooper asked me to start my car and he didn't see the oil light on
(it was intermittent).

Anyway, I never answered the ticket as I was due back home in California
weeks before the court date.

When I got back home to California, I just went on with my life.

Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
appear.

What can they in NJ actually do about this?

Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?
Old December 12th 12, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Larry Sheldon

On 12/12/2012 4:09 PM, Tony Palermo wrote:
> Two years ago, I got a ticket from NJ state troopers for pulling over on
> the freeway (because my oil light was flickering).
>
> The trooper asked me to start my car and he didn't see the oil light on
> (it was intermittent).
>
> Anyway, I never answered the ticket as I was due back home in California
> weeks before the court date.
>
> When I got back home to California, I just went on with my life.
>
> Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
> appear.
>
> What can they in NJ actually do about this?
>
> Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?

The free law clinic here has closed.

My guess is they can, but won't. And California will use that fact to
their advantage.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data: http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
Old December 12th 12, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
David L. Martel[_2_]

Tony,

NJ can try to extradite you but that involves flying you to NJ. That's
not going to happen.
Cal and NJ share info on your tickets, traffic convictions, bench
warrants et c.
I'd think Cal would just refuse to renew your license till you deal with
the ticket in NJ. Are you sure that the Cal warrant is related to the NJ
matter?

Good luck,
Dave M.

Old December 12th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
jgar the jorrible

On Dec 12, 2:09*pm, Tony Palermo >
wrote:
> Two years ago, I got a ticket from NJ state troopers for pulling over on
> the freeway (because my oil light was flickering).
>
> The trooper asked me to start my car and he didn't see the oil light on
> (it was intermittent).
>
> Anyway, I never answered the ticket as I was due back home in California
> weeks before the court date.
>
> When I got back home to California, I just went on with my life.
>
> Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
> appear.
>
> What can they in NJ actually do about this?
>
> Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?

Who knows? But see http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/do...ul-265280.html

Bought my house in Vista from the Palermos, any relation? Are you a
drummer?

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...isaster-drill/
Old December 12th 12, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Larry Sheldon

On 12/12/2012 5:30 PM, David L. Martel wrote:
> NJ can try to extradite you but that involves flying you to NJ. That's
> not going to happen.
> Cal and NJ share info on your tickets, traffic convictions, bench
> warrants et c.
> I'd think Cal would just refuse to renew your license till you deal with
> the ticket in NJ. Are you sure that the Cal warrant is related to the NJ
> matter?

If I were a scofflaw in this situation, I wonder if the fact that
California obtained the warrant is a signal that NJ has started the
extradition process.

Old December 13th 12, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Tony Palermo

jgar the jorrible wrote:

> http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/do...how-up-out-of-

state-when-pul-265280.html

That was very informative.
Especially the part about California not extraditing.
As far as I know, my license is fine as is my registration.

> Bought my house in Vista from the Palermos, any relation?

My parents had 10 kids and they each came from big families.
Everyone is a relation!
Old December 13th 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
richard

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:09:12 +0000 (UTC), Tony Palermo wrote:

> Two years ago, I got a ticket from NJ state troopers for pulling over on
> the freeway (because my oil light was flickering).
>
> The trooper asked me to start my car and he didn't see the oil light on
> (it was intermittent).
>
> Anyway, I never answered the ticket as I was due back home in California
> weeks before the court date.
>
> When I got back home to California, I just went on with my life.
>
> Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
> appear.
>
> What can they in NJ actually do about this?
>
> Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?

Heh. I got a seat belt ticket in Texas.
Told the cop I was on my way to Florida and would not be back for court.
Even wrote the county prosecutor and said the two cops were running a
ticket scam that day.
Never heard a word.
Old December 13th 12, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
[email protected]

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:09:12 +0000 (UTC), Tony Palermo
> wrote:

> Two years ago, I got a ticket from NJ state troopers for pulling over on
> the freeway (because my oil light was flickering).
>
> The trooper asked me to start my car and he didn't see the oil light on
> (it was intermittent).
>
> Anyway, I never answered the ticket as I was due back home in California
> weeks before the court date.
>
> When I got back home to California, I just went on with my life.
>
> Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
> appear.
>
> What can they in NJ actually do about this?
>
> Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?

Let's say a year from now you get arrested for a misdemeanor and require
bail. Well the prosecutor can point out to the judge you skipped out on NJ
so you would skip out on them to so you could sit in jail waiting for your
trial. Besides when you retire if you have any outstanding bench warrants
you can't receive social security or any other federal benefits in the
mean time.
Take care of your warrant.

Old December 13th 12, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
gpsman

On Dec 12, 5:09*pm, Tony Palermo >
wrote:

> Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
> appear.

For what...?

Scan it, block out your personal info, and post it.

> What can they in NJ actually do about this?

Nothing, probably. Your license is issued by CA.

> Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?

****, no. If they could, they wouldn't. It's a goddamn ticket, not
even a moving violation.
-----

- gpsman
Old December 13th 12, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Roy[_4_]

On 12/12/2012 4:32 PM, Tony Palermo wrote:
> jgar the jorrible wrote:
>

>> http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/do...how-up-out-of-

> state-when-pul-265280.html
>
> That was very informative.
> Especially the part about California not extraditing.
> As far as I know, my license is fine as is my registration.

Here is what can happen with out-of-state tickets in CA.

1) CA DMV may assess points against your license

2) The state where you got your ticket can request that CA DMV suspend
your license until the ticket is paid

3) CA DMV can refuse to renew your driver's license until the ticket is
paid

4) Should you be stopped by an officer in CA, you may wind up being held
because of the warrant until the distant state says they won't come and
get you. The warrant will also affect anything where you have to go
before a judge for bail including things like DUI.

Years ago you could ignore the out-of-state tickets but technology has
caught up. All these computers talk to each other and there are
national traffic ticket databases.

In these times of government financial shortfalls, I don't know how much
effort California will put to helping New Jersey collect from you. It
depends a lot on how helpful, NJ is in the reverse situation.