New A3.. low volume whistling noise when engine is idle

Old September 14th 04, 05:05 PM
eko

Default New A3.. low volume whistling noise when engine is idle

Hi,

My 2004 Audi A3 1.6 FSI (roughly 7200 miles on the clock) produces a low
volume whining noise when the engine is idle. It's almost like a light
whistling noise when the car is reving around 750 rpm. If I apply slight
power (without it being in gear), the whistling goes and returns when the
engine returns to idle.

This only seems to happen when the car has been running for an hour or so or
more. Any ideas what this might be please?

Thanks in advance.

...Ray

Old September 15th 04, 10:44 AM
David

It forgot the words?

Old September 15th 04, 02:17 PM
Steve Sears

David,
Good one.
Ray,
The whistling noise may be a belt - I've heard that overly tight timing
belts have been described as making a whining or whistling noise. You might
ask the service techs at the Dealer when you next have it in there.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old September 15th 04, 02:20 PM
liam

LMFAO

:-)

Old September 15th 04, 03:26 PM
eko

"Steve Sears" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ray,
> The whistling noise may be a belt - I've heard that overly tight timing
> belts have been described as making a whining or whistling noise. You
> might
> ask the service techs at the Dealer when you next have it in there.

Thanks Steve. Will check with the service guys in the next week or so.
What's strange is that the noise only happens after the engine has been
running for a while.. could this be temperature related? Also, it's only
started recently, and I've had the car for 8 months or so now.

Thanks again.

...Ray

Old September 16th 04, 02:48 PM
David

Warm up the engine until the whistling starts then run some simple
diagnostics.

1. Does it stop if you park the car or does it continue if you idle. Rev
the engine if it doesn't happen when you are idling.

If only occurs when moving, then it is either air, or transmission drive
line.
does it only occur if you turn the steering wheel? Then Steering pump or
belt
Does turning on the air conditioner provoke it.

If it occurs with the car idling then try to find where it comes from by
looking under the hood/

Have you checked your fluids, eg power steering fluid?

Vacuum leak?

Old September 16th 04, 06:01 PM
eko

"David" > wrote in message
> Warm up the engine until the whistling starts then run some simple
> diagnostics.
>
> 1. Does it stop if you park the car or does it continue if you idle. Rev
> the engine if it doesn't happen when you are idling.
>
> If only occurs when moving, then it is either air, or transmission drive
> line.
> does it only occur if you turn the steering wheel? Then Steering pump or
> belt
> Does turning on the air conditioner provoke it.
>
> If it occurs with the car idling then try to find where it comes from by
> looking under the hood/
>
> Have you checked your fluids, eg power steering fluid?
>
> Vacuum leak?
>
> Once again, if all else fails, teach it the words.

Thanks David. It doesn't occur when in motion, only when stopped. It does
persist when leaving the engine idle for a while (15 minutes), but each time
a rev is added, it goes until the revs drop to idle again, at around 750 rpm
or so.

Also happens regardless of whether the steering is moving or not. Power
steering fluid is okay, will check for leaks and other stuff too though. I
get the feeling that it might indeed be a belt as Steve suggested earlier,
as when I shut down the engine, the whistling "tone" dies with the engine,
as if it was caused by something rotating (sorry, not a great description, I
know..). Will probably drop it down to the Audi guys to check it out.

If I'd known what song it was whistling I'd teach it the words too..

Cheers.

...Ray

Old September 17th 04, 01:54 AM
Jesper Giovanni

"eko" > wrote in message

<snip>

> If I'd known what song it was whistling I'd teach it the words too..

"...i´ve gooot youuuu...under my...*ermm*...belt!?"

Nahh...that was a bad one. ;o)

--
Gio