Lightweight 4x4, flip down windshield

Old April 21st 04, 01:06 AM
Jack Daynes

=================================
Larry Greenwood wrote:
> Not sure if this would make a difference but according to
> the manual, the wrangler with the window down shouldn't
> be driven over 10 mph. Its a structural thing.
>
> Larry

=================================

Thanks Larry,

That shouldn't be an issue for me. Most of the time I'm in
the 'hunt' mode and slow driving is the rule. That's good
information though.

--
-- Jack --
=================================

Old April 21st 04, 01:24 AM
David

"Jack Daynes" > wrote in message ...

> =================================
> The Suzuki Samarai's of 1983 & 1984 appear to be the only
> models that featured the flip down windshield. I found
> pictures of some long wheel base versions that look to have
> this feature. Alas, all those pictured were European models.
> I'm guessing they weren't sold in the USA.

Oh well, guess I struck out on that one. The Thing seems like an ideal
light utility vehicle to tow behind a RV, and has the fold down, but not the
4x4. It always surprised me that they sold it that way, because that
eliminates most of the market for that sort of vehicle. It's pretty similar to
a 2WD vehicle the German army used during WWII. Anyway there
were fewer small softroader choices in the 70s, so I guess VW could
sell those Things.

Old April 21st 04, 01:24 AM
David

Old April 21st 04, 02:27 AM

in rec.autos.4x4,
"David" > wrote:

>"Jack Daynes" > wrote in message
>> I'm in the market for a used 4x4. I'm looking to tow behind
>> an RV. I know Wranglers and older Land Cruisers have the
>> flip down windshields. Are there any others I should think
>> about.

>Do Samurais have them? I thought so, but I'm not sure.
> http://home.off-road.com/~reilly/moab2000_11.jpg
>
>Here's another possibility. It isn't a 4x4, and won't
>go the everywhere the Samurai will, but it's fairly versatile:
> http://members.rogers.com/volksrus/images/mrocchi3.jpg

Yep, you could do it with an Sami, or the LJ's or the SJ's. You may need
to replace a solid mount with a hindge, and remove a few other little trim
stuff.

~Brian

Old April 21st 04, 02:27 AM

in rec.autos.4x4,

Old April 21st 04, 02:31 AM

No, I don't think there is a structural thing about the windshild
being up or down, not
100% sure what you call a "wrangler" but CJ5's and CJ7's don't have
anything attached to the windshield that could be called structural. It's
more of a over 10 mpg you need
goggles

~Brian

in rec.autos.4x4,

Old April 21st 04, 02:31 AM

Old April 21st 04, 03:18 AM
Larry Greenwood

This from the manual for my 99 TJ., p. 89, 2nd column.

[quote]
"The fold down windshield and removeable side bars on your jeep vehicle are
structural elements that can provide some protection in some accidents. "

"Do not drive your Jeep vehicle on-pavement with the windshield down and the
side bars removed as you lose the protection these structural elements can
provide."

"If required for certain off-pavement uses, the side bars can be removed and
the windshield folded down. However, the protection afforded by these
features is then lost. If you remove the side bars and fold down the
windshield, drive slowly and cautiously. Jeep engineers recommend that the
speed of the vehicle be limited to 10 mph (16 Km/h), with the low range
preferred, if you are driving off-pavement with the windshield folded down."
[end of quote]

Read and interpret how you want, but I wouldn't drive over 10 mph with the
windsheld down and the "structural elements" removed.

I don't know about the cj's. My guess is that these instructions would
apply to the TJ model for sure.

Larry

Windshield wiper not working Ulf BMW 4 December 21st 04 12:50 PM
Windshield wiper malfunction Yoboslayer Dodge 20 December 5th 04 03:12 PM
E36 Windshield Wiper assembly Gabe Knuth BMW 2 December 2nd 04 04:14 PM
E30 Windshield Wiper Motor/Switch? ballzo BMW 0 October 16th 04 02:56 AM
Windshield Washer Nozzle Remove/Install Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MP BMW 1 September 25th 04 03:51 PM