New to Hondas, got a few questions

Old May 9th 05, 01:57 AM
tonyrama

Default New to Hondas, got a few questions

Hey all
Just got a '92 Accord Coupe through my aunt's estate. I've never had a Honda
before, so I was wondering if there is any website or something like that
that I can get info from? Looking for stuff like known problems, issues,
recalls, stuff like that.

I drove it home today, and it's in much worse shape then I had originally
thought. First, the idle is uneven, as if someone is repeatedly goosing the
throttle. This happened on start-up, and went away by the time I got home,
about ten miles away. At about eight miles though, was when I saw smoke from
the engine compartment, and then I noticed that the temperature was
redlined. Seeing that there was a jug of antifreeze in the front seat, I
figured that it was low, but it wasn't. So I left it, and came back a couple
hours later to pick it up, and there's a really bad belt squeal from
somewhere.

I think the brakes are shot, as they're making a lot of noise, no power to
the radio, the power mirror switch seems to be stuck in the far right
position, because the mirrors will only go right, and the only way to stop
them is to turn the side selector switch to neutral.

Aside from the brakes, which is a wear item, are these things that normally
fail on Hondas? I'd always thought of Hondas as one of the most reliable
cars around, was I wrong, or is this just a really bad apple?

Thanks
Tonyrama

Old May 9th 05, 02:35 AM
TeGGeR®

www.tegger.com/hondafaq
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb

> Aside from the brakes, which is a wear item, are these things that
> normally fail on Hondas? I'd always thought of Hondas as one of the
> most reliable cars around,

Oh they are, especially if you take care of them.

> was I wrong, or is this just a really bad
> apple?

I think you just picked up the results of somebody's severe neglect.

There are some really good people in this group. Most of your problems
should be fixable with their help.

By the way, did you check the coolant level in the rad or just in the
reservoir?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 9th 05, 03:07 AM
Steve Bigelow

www.cb7tuner.com

Old May 9th 05, 03:34 AM
SoCalMike

tonyrama wrote:
> Aside from the brakes, which is a wear item, are these things that normally
> fail on Hondas? I'd always thought of Hondas as one of the most reliable
> cars around, was I wrong, or is this just a really bad apple?

sounds like abuse/neglect to me. some people think "maintenance"
consists of filling the gas tank. its probably never had a timing belt
change, water pump change, or any of its fluids changed, ever. the
brakes should have been looked at when they first started making noise.

which leaves the power mirror switch, which is likely a fluke. its
already hit jalopy status.
Old May 9th 05, 03:56 AM
Jason

In article >, "tonyrama" > wrote:

> Hey all
> Just got a '92 Accord Coupe through my aunt's estate. I've never had a Honda
> before, so I was wondering if there is any website or something like that
> that I can get info from? Looking for stuff like known problems, issues,
> recalls, stuff like that.
>
> I drove it home today, and it's in much worse shape then I had originally
> thought. First, the idle is uneven, as if someone is repeatedly goosing the
> throttle. This happened on start-up, and went away by the time I got home,
> about ten miles away. At about eight miles though, was when I saw smoke from
> the engine compartment, and then I noticed that the temperature was
> redlined. Seeing that there was a jug of antifreeze in the front seat, I
> figured that it was low, but it wasn't. So I left it, and came back a couple
> hours later to pick it up, and there's a really bad belt squeal from
> somewhere.
>
> I think the brakes are shot, as they're making a lot of noise, no power to
> the radio, the power mirror switch seems to be stuck in the far right
> position, because the mirrors will only go right, and the only way to stop
> them is to turn the side selector switch to neutral.
>
> Aside from the brakes, which is a wear item, are these things that normally
> fail on Hondas? I'd always thought of Hondas as one of the most reliable
> cars around, was I wrong, or is this just a really bad apple?
>
> Thanks
> Tonyrama

Tonyrama,
It's a great idea when you get a used car to have a complete tune-up. If
you know a local mechanic that you trust, take it to him. Otherwise, take
it to the local Honda dealership and have them do a complete tune-up. If
you have some extra money--also have them change the timing belt and
replace the water pump. If you need tires, watch for special sales in the
local newspaper. While at the Honda dealership, have them check the brakes
and suspension system.
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old May 9th 05, 04:37 AM
motsco_ _

tonyrama wrote:
> Hey all
> Just got a '92 Accord Coupe through my aunt's estate. I've never had a Honda
> before, so I was wondering if there is any website or something like that
> that I can get info from? Looking for stuff like known problems, issues,
> recalls, stuff like that.
>
> I drove it home today, and it's in much worse shape then I had originally
> thought. First, the idle is uneven, as if someone is repeatedly goosing the
> throttle. This happened on start-up, and went away by the time I got home,
> about ten miles away. At about eight miles though, was when I saw smoke from
> the engine compartment, and then I noticed that the temperature was
> redlined. Seeing that there was a jug of antifreeze in the front seat, I
> figured that it was low, but it wasn't. So I left it, and came back a couple
> hours later to pick it up, and there's a really bad belt squeal from
> somewhere.
>
> I think the brakes are shot, as they're making a lot of noise, no power to
> the radio, the power mirror switch seems to be stuck in the far right
> position, because the mirrors will only go right, and the only way to stop
> them is to turn the side selector switch to neutral.
>
> Aside from the brakes, which is a wear item, are these things that normally
> fail on Hondas? I'd always thought of Hondas as one of the most reliable
> cars around, was I wrong, or is this just a really bad apple?
>
> Thanks
> Tonyrama

------------------------------

Before driving (any) disused vehicle, you should read and understand the
manual, then perform the inspections described. What if the brakes had
completely failed (I guess we wouldn't be having this discussion, eh?)
The bottle of antifreeze should have tipped you off to look under the
hood and be sure all was OK. Overheating the engine could destroy your
'inheritance' rather quickly.

If you didn't get a manual with the car, your Honda dealer will be glad
to get you one, for a fee. :-)

'Curly'

Old May 9th 05, 11:48 AM
tonyrama

> By the way, did you check the coolant level in the rad or just in the
> reservoir?

Oh, the engine temp was off the charts, so I decided not to open the
radiator Yesterday was poruring rain, so I didn't go out to check it once
it cooled down. But if the reservoir was full, wouldn't the rad be also?

Thanks for the website, I'll have to check that out.

Tonyrama

Old May 9th 05, 11:52 AM
tonyrama

> Before driving (any) disused vehicle, you should read and understand the
> manual, then perform the inspections described. What if the brakes had
> completely failed (I guess we wouldn't be having this discussion, eh?)
> The bottle of antifreeze should have tipped you off to look under the
> hood and be sure all was OK. Overheating the engine could destroy your
> 'inheritance' rather quickly.

Well, the car had already been driven for several miles to the place where I
picked it up. And I did test the brakes before I took it. My aunt had been
driving this thing all over the place as late as a couple months ago, so it
didn't seem like too much could go wrong.

> If you didn't get a manual with the car, your Honda dealer will be glad
> to get you one, for a fee. :-)

It did come with a manual, but that wouldn't tell me why the switch failed,
or why it overheated, unless Honda makes better manuals then everybody else

Tonyrama

Old May 9th 05, 02:14 PM
TeGGeR®

"tonyrama" > wrote in :

>> By the way, did you check the coolant level in the rad or just in the
>> reservoir?

> Oh, the engine temp was off the charts, so I decided not to open the
> radiator Yesterday was poruring rain, so I didn't go out to check
> it once it cooled down. But if the reservoir was full, wouldn't the
> rad be also?

Nope.

Certain problems, from a bad rad cap to a blown head gasket to some other
kind of leak, can cause the rad to be low and the reservoir to be high.

Old May 9th 05, 02:23 PM
TeGGeR®

"tonyrama" > wrote in :

> Well, the car had already been driven for several miles to the place
> where I picked it up. And I did test the brakes before I took it. My
> aunt had been driving this thing all over the place as late as a
> couple months ago, so it didn't seem like too much could go wrong.

You would be absolutely amazed what people consider "normal", even when
very serious problems are happening down there. Some people are totally
oblivious to what their car is telling them.

My local dealer told me recently about a customer that brought his car in
because a signal light wasn't working. While the tech was driving the car
50ft from the parking space to the garage door, he knew instantly that
something was seriously wrong with the suspension: The steering had 3" of
play at the steering wheel. It was so loose it felt like it was connected
with string.

When he got it apart, he saw the ball joint was rattling around in its
socket like a pill in a pill bottle. I saw and felt that ball joint. The
customer was /completely/ unaware, even though the steering had about 3" of
play. He had been driving it like that for months.