interchange for a 1973 Vette radio

Old March 28th 05, 04:51 AM
JMC

Default interchange for a 1973 Vette radio

Anyone know what other late model GM radio will fit in a 73 Vette, looking
for one with a CD if possible. Can't find the size of the opening or a
cross reference. Any help most appreciated.

Thanks

JMC

Old March 28th 05, 09:20 AM
Jim M

"JMC" > wrote in message
> Anyone know what other late model GM radio will fit in a 73 Vette, looking
> for one with a CD if possible. Can't find the size of the opening or a
> cross reference. Any help most appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> JMC

Hi JMC,

I just installed a new Alpine stereo system In My '77 during the Xmas
Holidays. In order for the newer installations to work, I was required to
cut a freaking huge rectangular hole in my console. Rather than wreck an
original part, I removed the console cover and put it away in safe storage.
I then ordered a replica console cover ...(Ecklers, Corvette Central
etc)...then butchered away with a dremel tool till the new components fit.
You can't tell that the console was not original (except for the cd player
of course) and you still have the original console cover in case you want to
bring it back to original condition.

Hope that was of some help......Jim

Old March 29th 05, 04:42 AM
StingRay

"JMC" > wrote in message
> Anyone know what other late model GM radio will fit in a 73 Vette, looking
> for one with a CD if possible. Can't find the size of the opening or a
> cross reference. Any help most appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> JMC

JMC, unless you have some particular reason for wanting a GM radio, I'd
check out Custom Autosound. I installed one of their units in my '63 and it
fit right in. No muss - No fuss! Best of all, No cutting! Here's a link:

http://www.custom-autosound.com/

Old March 30th 05, 05:29 AM
Tom in Missouri

Corvette radios were unique in size and shape up to 1976. While they looked
somewhat similar from '68 up to other GM cars, the distance on the controls
was wider and the radio was much short (not as deep). In '77, they
redesigned the dash so that a conventional sized radio could fit, to reduce
costs associated with a specially made radio. This allowed the AM/FM, AM/FM
stereo, and the AM/FM Stereo with 8 track to be available, which had been
available in other GM cars for several years.

So the answer, none.

The only options you have a
1. Corvette radio '68-'76
2. custom radio design, such as those available from many Corvette vendors
like Mid America, Eckler's, etc.
3. Cutting the dash to fit a modern radio

Old March 30th 05, 03:01 PM
bad65

The only options you have a
1. Corvette radio '68-'76
2. custom radio design, such as those available from many Corvette vendors
like Mid America, Eckler's, etc.
3. Cutting the dash to fit a modern radio

Here is another option if you might want, to keep the original look of your
dash but have a modern audio unit.

www.antiqueautomobileradio.com

This company will take your original unit and replace the innards with a 180
watt digital stereo receiver with connectability for a remote CD changer and
XM radio. The unit retains and uses all of the original knobs and buttons.
Cost for the conversion, $399.

I plan to go this route to replace the POS Custom auto sound unit in my '65.

Does anyone have a clean non-working stereo for a '65 that they would like
to get rid of?

Brian

'65 ragtop
'04 ragtop

1973 Vette 454 4 spd Best on ebay! localhost2 Corvette 0 February 21st 05 03:24 AM
2004 TJ Radio Removal? Intergate Jeep 2 February 10th 05 01:52 AM
1973 Vette, 3k original miles!! Luis Corvette 13 January 8th 05 12:54 AM
On-board Radio Diagnostic Oppie Saturn 0 August 23rd 04 02:39 AM
how to remove a radio from 2004 Chevy full size Truck?? timm General 1 May 27th 04 01:55 AM