lifter noise all of a sudden, why???

Old December 15th 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dan[_25_]

Default lifter noise all of a sudden, why???

I have a 1995 Audi with the 2.8 V6 and 150k. I just had the oil changed a
few days ago, except now I get some lifter ticking noise for about 5 seconds
after I start it. It's cold outside, maybe 10-20 degrees, and was before as
well. I used the same Mobil 1 hi-mi synthetic that I had in it before,
except this time it was 10-30 versus 10w-40 before. Any reasons why it
would all of a sudden start ticking on start up after an oil change?

Old December 16th 07, 01:45 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
one out of many daves

Did you use a MANN filter or other good filter?
Why hi-mi oil? And was that 10W-40 also a hi-mi synthetic?

BTW I run plain Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-30 in my '83 engine with 240K+
miles on it.

Or maybe that engine does not like the 10W-30.

Old December 16th 07, 05:48 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dan[_25_]

It was at a German specialty repair shop I dont know what brand of oil
filter they used. I love the hi-mi synthetic, I went from adding a quart of
oil every 1000 miles to a quart every 5000. Mostly just leaks, the engine
runs like a clock.

et...

Old December 16th 07, 09:09 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
"Dan" > wrote:

> I have a 1995 Audi with the 2.8 V6 and 150k. I just had the oil changed a
> few days ago, except now I get some lifter ticking noise for about 5 seconds
> after I start it. It's cold outside, maybe 10-20 degrees, and was before as
> well. I used the same Mobil 1 hi-mi synthetic that I had in it before,
> except this time it was 10-30 versus 10w-40 before. Any reasons why it
> would all of a sudden start ticking on start up after an oil change?

I've heard that on other cars when the oil filter doesn't have a
backflow valve. I haven't changed the oil filter on my Audi myself yet
(looks like a serious PITA) so I don't know how the backflow mechanism
works on it.
Old December 17th 07, 11:21 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Then ask them about the ticking.
I have had a MANN filter that starting leaking at a seam within 15 minutes
after installation (2nd start of vehicle).
I did not like that, but I guess there can be problems with anything.

Hmmmm maybe I will try that hi-mi synthetic one day! ;-)