Opinions on 2002 Explorer

Old January 12th 05, 10:10 PM
Jonah

Default Opinions on 2002 Explorer

The time has come to retire my 1996 Explorer. The transfer case just
went, and after 160,000 relatively trouble free miles, I'm planning to
cut my losses and go for a newer model. I need to stay under $20K, so
I'm considering a 2002 or possibly 2003. I know 2002 was a redesign
year and conventional wisdom says to avoid the first year of a new
design, but my research so far has turned up a lot of positive and not
too much negative.
Any personal experience (besides the rear window hinge problem) would be
greatly appreciated.
(P.S. Anyone want to buy a nice 96 XLT in CT.?)
Old January 13th 05, 01:56 AM
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

"Jonah" > wrote in message
> The time has come to retire my 1996 Explorer. The transfer case just
> went, and after 160,000 relatively trouble free miles, I'm planning to
> cut my losses and go for a newer model. I need to stay under $20K, so
> I'm considering a 2002 or possibly 2003. I know 2002 was a redesign
> year and conventional wisdom says to avoid the first year of a new
> design, but my research so far has turned up a lot of positive and not
> too much negative.
> Any personal experience (besides the rear window hinge problem) would be
> greatly appreciated.
> (P.S. Anyone want to buy a nice 96 XLT in CT.?)

I Leased one new in 2002.It's a "XLS" with the 4.06L 6 and a 5 speed auto
trans and 2 wheel drive. It just came off of lease and I purchased it for
the residual of $11,500. In the 3 years I have owned it I have had ZERO
problems. It gets an average of 18MPG combined city and highway. All I have
done is the regular service, oil change every 5000 miles. The factory tires
still look good, no dash rattles, no electrical problems at all.
Zero front end problems, It has been a damn nice truck. I had the rear
hinges changed on a factory recall AND the plastic panel directly below the
window replaced(it cracked just to the right of the "Ford" emblem) Also
replaced by Ford at ZERO cost.
I know this truck well (after driving it for 3 years) and like it enough to
buy it off after the lease end.
Hope this helps to answer your question.

Old January 15th 05, 06:20 AM

I bought my 2002 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 4wd as a pre-owned with 19.500
miles on it the only problem I had with it so far is that I now have
50,000 miles on it and it's 3rd transmission all replaced by ford at no
cost they told me "off the record" that the 2002 explorer transmissions
have bugs that weren't worked out of it. But, besides that I haven't
had any issues with it it's my first but not last ford truck.

Old January 15th 05, 03:00 PM
wth

My want to avoid an '02 built before 11/01
http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_rat.../html/0125.htm
I've had no real problems with ours except with rear plastic panel cracked
and the rear glass hinge problem, Ford took care of both.
wth

Old January 16th 05, 04:05 PM
Jonah

What's the easiest way to determine the build date? Is it posted
somewhere, or is it part of the VIN?

Old January 16th 05, 05:25 PM
Jim Warman

Top left corner of the VIN decal.... month/year. If you have your dealer
check OASIS, the exact build date will be on the printout. This would also
be a good idea to ensure that any applicable safety campaigns have been
performed.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:48 PM
JaWise

>I know 2002 was a redesign
>year and conventional wisdom says to avoid the first year of a new
>design, but my research so far has turned up a lot of positive and not
>too much negative.

I've got a 2002 EB v6 with 38,000 miles. Besides the hinge problems I had a
rattle in the moonroof when I first got it and a problem with cd's getting
stuck in the changer. Both were fixed under warranty. Besides that it's been
a great car.

HELP! - 2002 Explorer Rear Brake Caliper Sticking discgolfer7213 Ford Explorer 0 January 11th 05 02:16 AM
2002 Ford Explorer 2002explorer Ford Explorer 0 January 1st 05 10:49 PM
Opinions on the 2002 L100. Rob Saturn 2 December 27th 04 04:53 AM
HOW DO YOU TURN ON FOG LAMPS 2002 FORD EXPLORER XLT? relic Ford Explorer 19 December 26th 04 10:56 PM
2002 Ford Explorer XLT john Ford Explorer 2 November 12th 04 03:01 AM