XP, SBLive, TSW

Old November 10th 04, 05:32 AM
EldredP

>Bottom line, Eldred: USB is a better "game port" than the old game port
>(consumes fewer resources; less lag). Yer PDPI excepted.

Well, looks like I'll have to go the TSW USB upgrade route. If I send the unit
back for them to do, them I'm out until I get it back. Maybe I'll see how hard
the kit is to install myself.
My old computer can't use USB(win98se), so I never looked at it before.

Eldred
--
http://www.umich.edu/~epickett

GPLRank -6.0 MoGPL rank +267.80
Ch.Rank +52.58
Hist. +82.34
N2k3 rank: -1.182
Slayer Spektera lvl 79 assassin
Slayer Spectral_K lvl 44 Necro
US East
Old November 10th 04, 05:37 AM
EldredP

>"EldredP" wrote...
>>> <snip>

>> Like what's your beef? I don't know you from Adam, but you've for some
>> reason decided to insult me at every chance. So bob - why *have* you
>> picked me as your random anonymous internet target?

>He hopes other poster will jump to your aid. Do I need to remind you of your
>own .sig?

Yeah, I know...<g> That's pretty bizarre, though. I was just curious what
kind of mental process(or lack thereof) would cause that type of unprovoked
attack behaviour. I guess he's outlived his entertainment value. He *was*
kinda humorous at first, but now he's gotten boring. Time to put him in the
twit filter, I guess...

Eldred

Old November 10th 04, 08:42 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On 10 Nov 2004 00:26:11 GMT, EldredP wrote:

> to XP. Looks like I'm stuck racing with my old PC until I get the new pots.
> Either that, or load Win2k on it instead...
> Thanks

What's wrong with 98se? It still runs all "oh so modern" sims like RBR
and GTR just fine, and you'll save on license costs and upgrade
headaches (as there are none ;-)

Cheers,

uwe

--
mail replies to Uwe at schuerkamp dot de ( yahoo address is spambox)
Uwe Schuerkamp //////////////////////////// http://www.schuerkamp.de/
Old November 10th 04, 09:03 AM
Bamadano

<Well, I built a new computer(thanks to a generous fellow sim racer). Since
the
mobo doesn't have any ISA slots, I can't use my PDPL gamecard. The USB wheel I
have doesn't have split-axis, so that makes it difficult to drive. I tried
using my SBLive's gameport to run my TSW wheel. Couldn't find(or create) a
config that worked right. Either the config didn't show both pedals, or the
calibrate screen kept jumping around. This is a winXP system, and I'm sure I'm
just not used to XP yet. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Eldred

Do you still have the MSFF wheel Eldred? At any rate TEI will upgrade to USB
fairly reasonable.
Dan
Old November 10th 04, 11:37 AM
Steve Smith

I, too, have and treasure my old PDPI card (and my ECCI). I even went out
and found the last mobo w. an ISA slot (a Gainward or something), but alas,
it would only handle a 1.n-GHz CPU, so I was finally forced to abandon it.
Still have it in a closet. Plan to resurrect it for a retro 'puta w. SLI'd
Voodoo cards (or maybe the last Rendition, which I also saved), for SODA and
the like....

--Me Packrat

Old November 10th 04, 02:31 PM
Darryl Johnson

EldredP wrote in :

>>Bottom line, Eldred: USB is a better "game port" than the old game

port
>>(consumes fewer resources; less lag). Yer PDPI excepted.

> Well, looks like I'll have to go the TSW USB upgrade route. If I

send the unit
> back for them to do, them I'm out until I get it back. Maybe I'll

see how hard
> the kit is to install myself.
> My old computer can't use USB(win98se), so I never looked at it

before.

> Eldred

Not to make too much of a deal, Eldred, but I use USB with one of my
computers running Win98SE. Is it perhaps that your computer doesn't
_have_ USB ports? You can buy add-in cards with USB ports on them....

--
Darryl
Old November 10th 04, 02:39 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

Hehe, same here. I dug out the last motherboard with ISA slots, but it
is limited to 1.4 ghz celery. PDPI and windows 98, and a thriller 3d
card for GPL. On the original tracks, snice the new ones are too heavy
on the graphics card, hehe.

The PDPI card is the best I have yet tried, btw. Fully adjustable inputs
and stuff. Loved it.

---A---

Old November 10th 04, 07:08 PM
EldredP

>Do you still have the MSFF wheel Eldred? At any rate TEI will upgrade to USB
>fairly reasonable.
>Dan

Yes, I do - that was the USB wheel I tried. Any way to configure it as
split-axis? I couldn't find that it was capable of it.

Eldred

Old November 10th 04, 07:18 PM
EldredP

>On 10 Nov 2004 00:26:11 GMT, EldredP wrote:
>
>> to XP. Looks like I'm stuck racing with my old PC until I get the new

>pots.
>> Either that, or load Win2k on it instead...
>> Thanks

>What's wrong with 98se? It still runs all "oh so modern" sims like RBR
>and GTR just fine, and you'll save on license costs and upgrade
>headaches (as there are none ;-)

Actually, I have a site-licensed version of XP, so I don't have to worry about
the upgrade problems. :-)
98se *is* an option, but Doom 3 won't run on it. I'm guessing that more games
will be like that in the future. I've had decent luck with 98se, except for
the fact that my system is so slow. If it's a choice between running Doom 3
and using my TSW, Doom loses. :-)

Eldred

Old November 10th 04, 07:21 PM
EldredP

>I, too, have and treasure my old PDPI card (and my ECCI). I even went out
>and found the last mobo w. an ISA slot (a Gainward or something), but alas,
>it would only handle a 1.n-GHz CPU, so I was finally forced to abandon it.
>Still have it in a closet. Plan to resurrect it for a retro 'puta w. SLI'd
>Voodoo cards (or maybe the last Rendition, which I also saved), for SODA and
>the like....

That was one reason I built a new system, as opposed to just upgrading my
existing one. I'm sure there will be stuff that won't run on the new one, so
I'd like to keep one available. My current system is 1.2GHZ, the new one is
3GHz. I may take Uwe's idea and just reload 98se on the new one. :-)

Eldred