Fuel type

Old August 2nd 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ken K

Default Fuel type

I'm looking at buying a 02-04 A6. Do any of the available engines require
that you run premium fuel?
Thanks, K

Old August 2nd 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

Yes, but if you run regular the engine will adapt in normal driving and
the give up will be performance and according to conventional wisdome,
mileage will be poorer.

If you drive your car more aggressively you would need to go with 93 or
at least 91 octane (US Octane rating).

I have previously owned a '98 1.8 TQM (APR chipped stage 1) and
currently have an '04 1.8 TQ6M. The I kept the '98 to 95K miles and
currently have 68K on the '04. I have used 91 octane in the city and 89
on the highway. I have also compared highway mileage over many tanks (I
dive on the road a lot) on both grades and if anything it seems that
mileage is better by 4 or 5 percent on the 89 octane. Go figure.

I'm getting ready to put on my flack vest after that comment.

The engine management including knock sensors and O2 seem to handle my
driving and fuel choices quite well.

Old August 2nd 07, 07:34 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
Tony > wrote:

> Yes, but if you run regular the engine will adapt in normal driving and
> the give up will be performance and according to conventional wisdome,
> mileage will be poorer.
>
> If you drive your car more aggressively you would need to go with 93 or
> at least 91 octane (US Octane rating).
>
> I have previously owned a '98 1.8 TQM (APR chipped stage 1) and
> currently have an '04 1.8 TQ6M. The I kept the '98 to 95K miles and
> currently have 68K on the '04. I have used 91 octane in the city and 89
> on the highway. I have also compared highway mileage over many tanks (I
> dive on the road a lot) on both grades and if anything it seems that
> mileage is better by 4 or 5 percent on the 89 octane. Go figure.
>
> I'm getting ready to put on my flack vest after that comment.
>
> The engine management including knock sensors and O2 seem to handle my
> driving and fuel choices quite well.

My 2007 A3 3.2 also runs fine on lower octane gas for mild driving.
Freeway cruising gives exactly the same milage. I think I felt a loss
of responsiveness.

The type of engine and climate probably matters a lot. The A3 3.2
doesn't have a turbo, a high compression ratio, or any exotic designs
that would require high octane gas. Except for that intake comb-over,
it seems like a pretty boring engine.

Old August 2nd 07, 11:59 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 20:37:33 -0400, "Ken K" >
wrote:

>I'm looking at buying a 02-04 A6. Do any of the available engines require
>that you run premium fuel?

As long as the engine is non-turbo, you should have no problems
burning 89 octane. The car will adjust to the type of gas you choose
to buy. You will probably experience less than the maximum
performance level of the engine, however, with a lower octane. I have
put 89 octane in my RS6 (V8 with twin turbos) and it ran just fine. I
did notice a decline in performance, but that was because of how I
drive. d;o)

Dave

Old August 2nd 07, 03:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Russell Lewis

Ok... Seriously... if you have an RS6 (or any newer audi) you can afford
the $4-5 more a fillup for premium. If you can't, you should probably be
looking at a cheaper car.
I love my 2.0T A4, and will never put anything but premium in my car.
-Russell

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:59:36 -0400, Dave LaCourse

Old August 2nd 07, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
G-man uk

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...questions.html

Old August 3rd 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:43:31 -0400, "Russell Lewis"
> wrote:

>Ok... Seriously... if you have an RS6 (or any newer audi) you can afford
>the $4-5 more a fillup for premium. If you can't, you should probably be
>looking at a cheaper car.
>I love my 2.0T A4, and will never put anything but premium in my car.

Sure, I can afford it. But if ya get stuck with only 89 octane (the
91 (or was it 93?) pump is broken, whatya want me to do? Get a cab
and try to find a higher octane somewhere. I mean, it was 2 in the
morning, raining, cold, in the middle of nowhere, wind blowing like a
son-of-gun, and I had to exit from the NY Thruway, my wife was having
labor pains, and our other four kids were in the back seat crying
because their mom was making all these strange noises. I mean, what
the hell did ya want me to do, buster? Oh, the humanity.

An RS6 will run just fine on 89; it simply means ya can't play.

Dave
(who is wonderin' what the little boy will do when I tell him I put 89
in my new R8 {when it arrives}) d;o)

Old August 3rd 07, 05:44 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Sri Krsna

Dave LaCourse wrote:

>Sure, I can afford it. But if ya get stuck with only 89 octane (the
>91 (or was it 93?) pump is broken, whatya want me to do? Get a cab
>and try to find a higher octane somewhere. I mean, it was 2 in the
>morning, raining, cold, in the middle of nowhere, wind blowing like a
>son-of-gun, and I had to exit from the NY Thruway, my wife was having
>labor pains, and our other four kids were in the back seat crying
>because their mom was making all these strange noises. I mean, what
>the hell did ya want me to do, buster? Oh, the humanity.
>
>An RS6 will run just fine on 89; it simply means ya can't play.

The problem I have here in Boston is that most gas stations, save
Sunoco, doesn't offer 91. It's either 89 or 93. When I picked up my 2.0T
Quattro last year, my salesman went over this and advised that I should
alternate fill-ups with 89 one week and 93 the next. So far, this has
worked out fine even though I tend to fill-up more with 93. And even
with a full tank of 89, you can still play with little difference in
performance.....well, at least with my car.

Old August 3rd 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Russell Lewis

Lol, sounds like a fun situation that you were in. I'm just used to
hearing the people at audiworld bitch about how they don't want to have to
pay for premium gas in their new 2.0T's they just spent over 30k on.

As for me, I don't mind the 93 octane (there is no 91 in GA). And I
suppose if I was out of gas and the only station had 89, I could always
drop my car out of APR 93 mode and back to stock :->. I'd miss the
horsepower though.

Cheers to the R8 tho! I hope you don't have to wait too long. I hear
that wait list is approaching F430 waits (for low rank ferrari owners).

-Russell

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 21:55:59 -0400, Dave LaCourse

M3 fuel type Dan Buchan BMW 1 September 4th 06 01:16 PM
Type 1 Fuel System Jakalope VW air cooled 4 December 16th 05 09:11 PM
Pontiac 6000 Fuel tank harness type? Ralph D. Technology 3 September 17th 05 02:51 AM
Civic Type R fuel economy? Jason Fox Honda 2 June 3rd 05 11:28 AM
Engine type & Fuel Economy Tom Varco Technology 21 March 9th 05 09:28 PM