2008 Kia Optima - Steering Wheel Vibration at speeds over 50mph since

Old November 2nd 11, 12:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

Default 2008 Kia Optima - Steering Wheel Vibration at speeds over 50mph since

Old November 2nd 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/02/2011 05:07 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:
> On Nov 2, 12:58�am, jim > wrote:

<snip>
>> look up some factory alignment specs. �i've already said you can get
>> this from shop manuals or alldata.

> ____________________________
> I've read plenty of alignment specs. You obviously don't know what
> the meaning of RANGE is. There can be up to 1/2 degree variance on
> alignment specs. 4.5>5.5 degrees positive caster, for example. All
> the mfg has to do is set the left to 4.8 and the right to 5.2
> positive, and there's your compensation.

no it's not. it's the acceptable range given that no two frames are
exactly the same. "compensation" has one side set different to the
other. that's /never/ speced by the manufacturer. and if it was, it
would be something like "0.5 - 1.0 right, 0.75 - 1.25 left", not "0.5 -
1.0" without stating the obvious - that the vehicle is supposed to be
moving in a straight line.

> You won't see THAT in the
> specs - you have to rack up the car to get its exact settings. And
> "compensate" is not some weird word farmers use; you need to get a
> clue.

i don't know why you think i'm bull****ting you. all i'm doing is
giving you technical facts. the facts are that manufacturers do not
"compensate". some hick alignment techs do. they're wrong, the
manufacturer is right.

> ___________________________
>>

>>> If I want to someday I will spend another $1000-1500 diagnosing and
>>> repairing that right rear, but so far it's had no negative impact on
>>> the Kia's handling.

>> if a car that pulls to one side of its own accord is "no negative
>> impact", then we're wasting each others time.

> __________________
> You obiously can't read. I said that it drifts - slightly - to the
> right on roads with varying degrees of crown. In a parking lot it
> goes straight!

finally, i've asked you this three or four times, and at last you've
given the answer.

> __________________
>

> Heaven help us . . .

i think you need it if you can't answer basic questions and keep
bleating about drift and long after i told you it is, to some extent,
normal on a cambered road. and no, you should not "compensate" for it.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 2nd 11, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 2, 11:47*am, jim beam > wrote:

> i think you need it if you can't answer basic questions and keep
> bleating about drift and long after i told you it is, to some extent,
> normal on a cambered road. *and no, you should not "compensate" for it.

___________________
I never disagreed that some drift was normal on a cambered road - in
fact, I found myself trying fruitlessly to convince YOU of that, and
that I was GLAD that's all my Kia is exhibiting now. >smh repeatedly<

And I never said any attempt "should" be made, by the orig. mfg or a
shop, to compensate for crown. I just suggested that it might be
going on, and might explain the reason for the definite PULL my '03
Impala and '05 Malibu exhibited right out of the dealership.

You and I are definitely speaking different Englishes on here. LMAO.
Un... real..

-CC
Old November 2nd 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 2, 11:47*am, jim beam > wrote:

> i don't know why you think i'm bull****ting you. *all i'm doing is
> giving you technical facts.

You're not BSing. That's what Fox News is for. I just think our
means of expressing ourselves are at opposite ends of this solar
system.
No hard feelings!

-CC