Battery charging

Old January 24th 05, 12:10 AM
Peter

Default Battery charging

Am I right on this:
When a battery being recharged is nearing full charge, it would accept
less and less current, say around 1A or less, as indicated by ammeter
on the charger (if there's one).
So that means you can hook a charger (say 6A) up to a battery and
leave it, since the battery won't overcharge. No matter how high the
charger capacity is, a near-fully charged battery will only take in
<1A.

Pete
Old January 24th 05, 07:33 AM

Peter wrote:
> Am I right on this:
> When a battery being recharged is nearing full
> charge, it would accept less and less current,
> say around 1A or less, as indicated by ammeter
> on the charger (if there's one).
> So that means you can hook a charger (say 6A) up
> to a battery and leave it, since the battery
> won't overcharge. No matter how high the
> charger capacity is, a near-fully charged battery
> will only take in <1A.

The final charging rate depends on both the condition of the battery
and the voltage applied to it by the charger. The battery's voltage
rises as it's charged, placing a lower load on the charger, which makes
a manual charger's voltage increase. This is no problem with a trickle
charger, but higher-amp chargers will never taper down below 1-3 amps,
which can damage the battery if not stopped, maybe in about 12 hours
with 2-3 amps, 1-2 days with 1A. Automatic chargers prevent
overcharging by regulating their voltage to limit it to about
13.6-14.5V even at full charge, usually resulting in a final charge
rate of .15-.5A., and .5A should be safe for several days, < .2A for a
month. These amp rates don't include the current draw by the car's
electronics, and any car equipped with an engine computer (almost all
since 1981), clock, or alarm system will draw .01-.70A, even while
parked. Also a battery with a bad cell or just generally worn out will
have a higher charge rate, whether attached to an automatic or manual
charger. The final charge rate with an automatic charger isn't a bad
indicator of battery condition.

Old January 24th 05, 01:02 PM
Al Bundy

It's just not a good idea to leave a charger hooked up to a battery and
go away, period.
In situations where emergency cells are maintained, like in the
hallways of hotels and such, they have fairly complex circuitry
onboard that prevents overcharging. Cell phones often have the same.
Car battery chargers generally do not.

Old January 24th 05, 01:55 PM
Peter

Thanks LG.

The charger I have is manual. Still the charging current drops to 1A
or less when battery is nearly charged. Is that not the same as
trickle charging?

One problem I can see is that if the battery is faulty and always
takes in as much current as the charger can give, and overheated or
gas itself dry.

Pete

Old January 24th 05, 02:23 PM
William R. Watt

I use a rule of thumb from a book that a dead battery will take 50 amp-hours
to recharge. For a 5 amp charger that's 10 hours. For a 6 amp charger
that's 8 hours. And so forth. That's the maximum charging time. If the
battery is not dead it will take less charging time.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old January 24th 05, 02:43 PM
John W. Bienko

The boxes containing cable transmission devices all
have a series of batteries continually being charged
to serve as cable system backup.

--
Longing to be closer to to the sun, the wind and the sea!
Spiritually at: Latitude 21 degrees 19' 9" North. _!_

battery charging question William R. Watt Technology 5 January 10th 05 12:08 PM
At what point is a vehicle battery charging or discharging? 12.6v ? [email protected] Technology 34 January 3rd 05 05:11 AM
Battery Charging tech27 BMW 65 December 1st 04 02:08 AM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
charging problems Eric Goforth Mazda 2 October 13th 04 02:48 PM