Abandoned vehicle question

Old November 20th 04, 06:07 PM
Braukuche

Default Abandoned vehicle question

I live in So Cal and noticed recently a early Porsche (mid '50s model I
estimate) on the street which has now three parking tickets on it for expired
registration. I left a note on the car earlier this week that I would be
interested in buying the car, assuming that the owner must have lost interest
in it since the car is on the verge of being towed. The tickets and the note
are still on the car and none of the neighbors I have talked to know the owner,
though one guy mentioned he had seen the guy around before. I hate to see this
car towed away and then end up being auctioned off. Is there some sort of
loophole in the DMV code allowing someone to claim an abandoned car by posting
reg fees or something or is the car destined to go to the impound yard and then
to city-auction?
--Dan E
Old November 20th 04, 06:25 PM
jjs

"Braukuche" > wrote in message
>I live in So Cal

My condolences. (It's near freezing and raining here. Joy!)

>and noticed recently a early Porsche (mid '50s model I
> estimate) on the street which has now three parking tickets on it for
> expired
> registration. I left a note on the car earlier this week that I would be
> interested in buying the car, assuming that the owner must have lost
> interest
> in it since the car is on the verge of being towed.
> [...]

Unfortunately, the towing companies have the best handle on those cases. Do
you have any friends in that business?

Old November 20th 04, 07:26 PM
Wolfgang

Think I'd start knocking on doors. I got a '63 Porsche Karmann Knotch Coup
for $300 years ago the same way and a free VW bug another time (folks had
actually started to help themselves to parts on the bug).

Old November 20th 04, 07:44 PM
John Cassara

Pull the VIN info and go to the DMV. They will be able to give you the name
and last address of the owner.

I once bought a Bug w/o paper work then tracked down the owner.

Once you know his name you could always go back and say he is your old sick
uncle and you cant find the paperwork for the car amongst his things?

John

Old November 21st 04, 04:38 AM
Karl

In California, if that car is towed away under the abatement law...... you can kiss it goodby.
Abatement law says the car can not be resold or registered. It has to either be crushed or taken to
a wrecking yard and parts can be sold off it, but you cannot get a salvage title for it. It is scrap
only.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/vehabate.html

Click on Annex 2A and scroll down to section 22662. page 4.

And to the person that said to go to the DMV and they will give you the name and address of the
owner.....Uh uh, not anymore, not gonna happen since the anti-stalker laws were passed.