'88 Civic starting problem

Old August 19th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion[_1_]

Default '88 Civic starting problem (SOLVED maybe)

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Matt Ion > wrote in
>

>>Oh, and... power readings at the injectors were tested with meter
>>grounded to battery, block, and body, at different times (whichever
>>was most handy for that particular instance).
>>

> Did ANYBODY attempt the particular procedure I prescribed? (To answer my
> own question: evidently not.)

I don't know if he tried any of the ECU readings. First thing I did when I got
there was test for the injector power, since he already had the meter out, and
noticed the excessive voltage drop... and proceeded to find the source of that.

Old August 19th 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion[_1_]

Jim Yanik wrote:
> Matt Ion > wrote in
>

>>Jim Yanik wrote:
>>
>>>Matt Ion > wrote in

>>>It might be just a clogged fuel pickup.

>>If that was the case, there'd be no pressure on the pump and it would
>>spin freely; it wouldn't be drawing a ton of current.
>>

> No,a pump trying to pull on a clogged line draws more current.
> It spins freer under normal loads.Simple hydraulics.

If it can't pull any liquid in, there's nothing to offer resistance to the pump,
is tehre?

Besides, the pump is out now, and the intake filter is clean.
Old August 19th 06, 11:00 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion[_1_]

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Matt Ion > wrote in
>

>>Hopefully that takes care of things... I'll let you know!

> Matt, hold off until you know for sure that this is the issue. Posting
> as-it-happens is an invitation to severe -- and likely inaccurate --
> speculation.

Well, anyone who cares to speculate wildly and make fools of themselves are
welcome to do so...

> Your thesis is intriguing. I await the synthesis, empirically arrived at,
> of course...

Buddy picked up another fuel pump from an '89 Civic but it proved to not fit the
tank - the assembly projects straight down from the mounting plate, rather than
on an angle like the one that came out, and hits the bottom of the tank. Back to
the wrecker...
Old August 20th 06, 01:20 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Okay, quick update... new fuel pump in, took care of the voltage drop
problem... now we're getting an ALMOST-start. It cranks, it tries to
catch, it won't quite take off.

ECU gives a code 16 ("Fuel Injector System: defective circuit or
unplugged / defective fuel injector".)

Both injectors appear to work when independently powered. Both
injectors seem to click while cranking. Looking down the TB throat,
there's definitely gas being fed in from the main injector - hard to
tell if the aux injector is doing anything. Holding the choke open
manually helps a bit, but it still won't quite "catch".

Lots of spark on all cylinders... firing order is correct as far as
I've been able to determine without having found the EXACT manual for
this specific car (1-3-4-2 clockwise from the bottom-left when looking
straight at the top of the distributor cap). Getting regular "puffs"
from the exhaust so there seems to be steady compression from all
cylinders.

Odd thing is, the plugs appear dry when I pull them out, so they're
either firing or not getting any air/fuel mix, which doesn't make any
sense unless the intake valves aren't working... and if that was the
case I'd think I wouldn't get the "puffs" out the exhaust, if it wasn't
drawing in any air.

So near, yet so far away... *sigh*

Old August 22nd 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion[_1_]

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Matt Ion > wrote in
>

>>TeGGeR® wrote:

wrote in
egroups.com:

>>>Wanna take a second look at that Main Relay?

>>Already did. All working fine. Came out of another working Civic, in
>>fact.
>>
>>Like I said, the injectors ARE working, they ARE spraying fuel (at
>>least, the main injector is).
>>

> So you've for sure got spark, for sure the igniton timing is correct, and
> for sure the ECU is driving the injectors correctly now?

Heheheh, funny story...

> Does the car start with a shot of ether?

Wanted to try that, but buddy didn't have any in the shop, and at that point we
didn't have time to go pick some up.

> A code 16 sometimes does actually mean a defective injector.

That's what I figured, but they seemed to bench-test fine.

Anyway... buddy just called, he got it going: new plugs and a fresh battery and
it fired right up. Apparently the Bosch Platinums that came in the thing were
bunk, despite showing good soild spark when tested outside the engine(???).

Would be interesting to see if the ECU is still giving an error code. I'm
wondering if it might have been stored from when the bad fuel pump was still in;
I can see how the pump dragging down the voltage could affect injector
operation, since all three are on the same circuit off the main relay, and the
ECU might read the lack of input signal from the injectors as a "bad" unit(s).
Or it may have even stored that code from when we tested the injector wiring
with them disconnected? How long does the ECU hold codes?

So, another mystery solved... once again, I thank you all for your assistance,
especially the masterful TeGGeR